Studio Recording Techniques Through the Years - Photos Please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If I were the bass player on that session, I would hate to have the guitar amp blasting in my face like that.

It looks like it's a brown Fender Concert:

[​IMG]

Rick Bartlett and Beech like this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Perhaps @Buffalo would know.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Left to right, Sol Schlinger, Sid Cooper, Hymie Shertzer, Al Klink, and Boomie Richman, recording "The King's Saxes" LP, 1957, with Tony Mottola, Dick Hyman, etc., 1957.
    Saxes copy.jpg
    Any idea as to the studio used? My guess is it's in New York, only because so many of the musicians involved in the recording had strong NYC ties at the time.

Beech likes this.
  4. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Clever remake of Dvorak. That's Pioneer SE-2P headphones, got a pair. What's the vocal mike?

5. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

At first I thought it might be a Beyerdynamic M260 but probably not. Doesn't mind smoke whatever it it!

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hard to tell with the windscreen. I'd guess a SDC like a Neumann KM54, but that's purely a guess.

7. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Well, I've got the cd transfer but could not tell what mike it is by ear, even if I wished...

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The Scholars (white sweaters) with vocal trio the Perennials, plus manager Nat Segal
    Cameo Parkway Studio, Philadelphia, January 28, 1967:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Scholars | Garage Hangover

beccabear67 and MMM like this.
  9. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Monk at Reeves Sound Studio in New York, in 1956... from the fabulous PreservationSound website.

[​IMG]

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't be 1956.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why do you say that?

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That's an interesting point .
    I worked at a small sized music store in the late 70's and there were four or five of us that smoked in there all day .

We noticed that the grill cloth on the guitar amps were turning yellow.

When I see pictures of the Beatles in the studio and hanging around the recording desk, etc., everyone is smoking like crazy.

It was probably the same everywhere in the 50's and onward.

I wonder how often they sprayed Funk Out or the eras equivalent in the mixer etc., and did they clean out the mics somehow once in awhile also ?

13. Tone

Original page says 'circa' 1956, so I could be wrong about the date.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

ex_mixer and crispi like this.
  15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

This photo is great. It intrigues me. Any guesses as to whether this is from the Electric Ladyland sessions? Would this be the "party scene?"

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Some great pics, still making my way through all the pages. Does anyone know of any good ones from Fleetwood Mac at Chess that aren't on the releases of those sessions? Also the Howling Wolf London sessions, or really any sessions of him and his band at Chess or Sun.

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

[​IMG]

A little commentary and a question. I love looking at this stuff. Dig the capsule grill on Curtis Mayfield's U47. One thing that has perplexed me though is that while there seem to be vintage Neumann mics available I have not really seen any offerings of what I will call vintage capsule grills. There are modern wind screens and pop screens, etc. But what has become of the globe capsule grills like the one here? Also, you will see photos of what I take to be KM56 mics on the drums and cymbals at RVG's studios with a smaller globe capsule. But when the KM56 mics are offered for sale I have yet to see one of the vintage capsule grills available. Any ideas on where to find them?

lukpac likes this.
  18. Tone

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We had seen and discussed an excerpt of this in the Columbia 30th Street thread, but Ron Furmanek let me know that Anatomy of Pop: The Music Explosion is available in its entirety on YouTube:

Sessions seen in the film:

0:24 - 1:00
    Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York
    Tony Bennett
    The Trolley Song

5:19 - 7:12
    Motown Studio A, Detroit
    The Supremes
    My World Is Empty Without You

8:12 - 9:16
    RCA Studio A, Nashville
    Waylon Jennings
    Stop the World and Let Me Off

11:44 - 13:10
    Motown Studio A, Detroit
    The Temptations
    My Girl

32:24 - 33:04
    Nashville, outside shots of:
    RCA Studio A
    Decca (?)
    Columbia
    Capitol

Control room shots of RCA Studio A.

41:34 - 43:14
    Tony Bennett
    Days of Wine and Roses

47:49 - 50:47
    Tony Bennett
    The Trolley Song

The Motown sessions are staged. I'm not sure about the Waylon Jennings session, but I think the Bennett sessions are real.

The film was first broadcast on February 15, 1966 on ABC. Written and produced by Stephen Fleischman, there's a discussion of the program in his memoirs.

Dan C, Beech, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They filmed more sessions for that show, Four Tops, etc. and they exist as complete songs. Somewhere. Saw them many years ago projected.

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

without starting a new thread, I wasn't sure where to put this, but a great watch:

what Mic is Frank singing into there?

lukpac likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Pretty sure that's a "The AKG Tube", aka an AKG "The Tube".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also of note, that's A&R Studio A-1, formerly (until 1966) Columbia Studio A.

Dan C, MLutthans and MisterBritt like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Some selected shots from the control room:

[​IMG]
    Recording engineer Hank Cicalo, singer-songwriter Carole King, and record producer Lou Adler gather around the mixing desk for a playback in the control room of A&M Records Recording Studio during the recording of King's album 'Tapestry' in January 1971 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
    Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees: A Look Back Photos and Images | Getty Images

[​IMG]
    James Taylor, recording engineer Hank Cicalo, Joni Mitchell (back), Carole King and record producer Lou Adler gather around the mixing desk for a playback in the control room of A&M Records Recording Studio during the recording of King's album 'Tapestry' in January 1971 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
    Singer/Songwriter Carole King Turns 70 Photos and Images | Getty Images

[​IMG]
    Joni Mitchell and James Taylor talk to Carole King in the control room of A&M Records Recording Studio during the recording of King's album 'Tapestry' in January 1971 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
    Tapestry Recording Sessions Pictures | Getty Images

[​IMG]
    James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, recording engineer Hank Cicalo and Carole King in the control room of A&M Records Recording Studio during the recording of King's album 'Tapestry' in January 1971 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
    Singer/Songwriter Carole King Turns 70 Photos and Images | Getty Images

In conjunction, here's a 1971 article from Recording Engineer/Producer magazine. Some or all of the photos are from the Tapestry sessions, but the write-up is from the Music sessions.

RE/P Files: Carole King, Lou Adler, And Hank Cicalo In Session At A&M Records - ProSoundWeb

Dan C, monotone, Ben Sinise and 4 others like this.
  24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Good lord that was a massive studio. Was that in Columbia Square?
    It messes with my mind knowing that any S&G tracks were recorded in California. They're so NYC to me, all of their songs seem like they had to be created in "Midnight Cowboy"-era NYC.

dan c

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

Dan C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.