Stuff You Never Noticed On Album Covers Until Someone Pointed It Out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dalziel53, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member Thread Starter

In line with the stuff you never noticed before.......

I like when artists put little jokes or the like in their album covers. My favourite is Get Yer Ya Ya's Out where The Stones pay homage to Bob Dylan by hanging jewels and binoculars from the head of a mule.

Attached Files:

krisbee and lightbulb like this.
  2. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

I never noticed the hidden track titles on U2's Zooropa album (my favorite album of theirs). I saw some letters, but hadn't realized they formed actual song titles (Wake Up Dead Man, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and Hold Me Kill Me...ironically none of which were on the album nor released at that point)

bferr1 likes this.
  3. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I don't get it. ????:confused:

4. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

"Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule,
    But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel."

5. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Those two robed figures (and what they're doing) in the background of Hall and Oates' "Beauty on a Backstreet" cover.

And, until it was pointed out to me recently, those (formerly) nonsensical red squibbly lines on the Police' "Ghost In The Machine" album cover represents the faces of Stewart, Andy, and Sting.
    I thought it was the 'ghost' screwing with the digital readout of a clock radio (the machine).
    Honest!

fallbreaks likes this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

All those little figures with star shaped heads throughout Elton John's Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy. I think we were buzzed at the time and it was quite a revelation how many there were....:)

On James Gang's Yer Album, the inside of the gatefold has an extensive acid influenced pen & ink work. Theres a little gnome or something reading a newspaper that has 'article' titled 'Keep A Tight A**hole.' Then theres the hanging phallic symbols.

7. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

Isn't there a cloud on the cover art for the Grateful Dead's "Wake of the Flood" that when viewed at an oblique angle is actually a skull?
    I think most Deadheads thought it looked like a joint...:)

8. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member Thread Starter

9. The Beatles had some "hidden clues" on their album covers (probably many more than the few that I realize).... For example, because of the rumors of Paul McCartney's death in a car crash, the yellow flowers that form the shape of a guitar on Sgt Pepper's album, if one looks closely, it appears to say "PAUL?" Of course, there's Abbey Road, where the license plate on the VW bug has a clue to Paul's age "if he were still alive". (as I recall, didn't it say "28 IF"?. or something like that).... Those are the only ones that I can think of right away.....

10. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

It took me a LONG time to spot the "witch" on the front cover of the "Mirage" album by Fleetwood Mac.

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Totally missed what was going on on that "Who's Next" cover.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Me too, until just a few years ago..... it's not very obvious, even when you look really closely.

13. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Holy crap! How is it possible I didn't see that until I read your post? :D

It's definitely a skull, BTW...

14. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Ummm, huh? It's not very obvious?

Maybe not to you... :D

BTW, all of my friends and I certainly saw it right away, within seconds of seeing the album cover. Maybe seeing the cover in reduced size on the CD can account for it not being obvious?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. telliott

telliott Senior Member

How many people noticed the picture of Klaus Voorman on the cover of Revolver when you first got it?

nowhereman87 and musicfan37 like this.
  16. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

I didn't notice it right away, but then again I was like, 10, and really had no idea who Klaus was at that time...

Hazuki likes this.
  17. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Some of the band couldn't "perform" so rain water was collected in an empty film cannister. A new sky was added later.

TheOx

18. Yeah, I heard about that one (can't remember if it was mentioned on radio, or perhaps one of those biography stories on The Who). Of course, there's more information about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Next

19. Someone knows his Dylan. :righton:

20. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Haha, man... me too, until about two minute ago. I guess I never really looked at it closely!

21. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Yeah, I never really noticed anything special about the Santana cover until my dad pointed it out to me. Now I can't believe I missed it. It's absolutely brilliant.

22. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

Regarding the Santana cover, if you didn't spot the faces at the top then you probably haven't realised that the whole of the bottom half is a woman,complete with head, body with folded arms, skirt and legs.

23. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

So, how many faces are there, altogether?

I count nine, including the lion and arm-folding woman.

24. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I didn't realise it was Mick on The Rolling Stones' "Tattoo You" cover (thought it was a girl). Yeah, I know...

[​IMG]

25. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I think it was an old thread on this forum where this was pointed out to me, but on the official Basement Tapes album, everyone in the cover photo other than Dylan is actually a life-sized cardboard cutout figure.

naru1980 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.