Stumpled on a ebay scammer (OG Prestige vinyl)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Marko K, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is a cool story.

Sold Sonny Rollins - Plus 4 (first press, RVG in the deadwax) to a ebay user, here is the link.

After receiving the item, buyer told me that the item is nowhere near the condition it was described in the listing, asking a partial refund right away. After offering a small (10%) refund (because I knew the buyer was bluffing because I playgraded the record), he asked for a full refund and wanted to send the item back. He started a case.

I stupidly didnt respond to the case, so he won and got refunded all the money and he didnt have to send the item back. In the end, I didnt give him any public feedback and so didnt he. I forgot all about it - I lost about 100 USD in total.

Today I see that he is now selling the item, describing it as "occasional clicks only, nothing serious", here is the link. In his private description, it was in awful condition - clicks and scratches everywhere.

From his feedback I can see, that he is clearly scamming some people off. How should I take him down? Im thinking of bidding on this auction and then counterattacking him in his own game, haha :)

By the way, Im in Europe, so I think I just cant contact ebay.com just like that.

2. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

Wouldn't you be able to report the item? There's a link on the right hand side of the top of the description.
    Here's the direct link .

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As much as I would love to get a scammer back, I'd probably just let it go after dreaming about the retaliation for a bit :)

A retaliatory scam on your part sounds like fun but it could easily backfire.

Maybe you can go to an internet cafe, open up another ebay account, bid ridiculously high on the record so only you could win, then never pay for it. It would be a nice waste of time for him, but again, if ebay traces the account back to you, it could back fire.

I'm sure you could call ebay.com from just about anywhere and they also have a call me back feature. But there's probably nothing they can do for you at this point. I know you can file an appeal to a claim on paypal but not sure if ebay has the same option. You could always try and find out if they do.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Curious, what reason would he give? I've been through that process before. I can't think of any option that this situation would fall under.

5. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Couldn't the scammer easily claim that it's NOT the same LP - and just coincidence that's it is the same title?

Dave likes this.
  6. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

You're probably right. Also since he didn't respond to the initial claim it might be hard to come back with a report following a lost case...

7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didnt respond to the case because all the correspondence was made before he started the case, so there is evidence in those ebay messages. Little I know that I had to have these messages with him again when he started the "item not as described" case.

Changeling likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you could prove without a shadow of a doubt it's the same LP you sold him, and could prove it in a clear, straightforward manner that a clueless eBay adjudicator could understand, you MIGHT be able to get some restitution through eBay--although I doubt it even then.

You could bid on the item, get it, and play the same game. Now, the seller is going to be sure to respond to eBay immediately, so the best you can hope for is to wind up returning the LP to him and getting your money back. He'll eat postage both ways, though. Even if you were to scratch up the LP before you sent it back, as retaliation, you won't wind up with anything more for yourself.

You could replace the LP with something worthless and return that. And that might even work--it's a scam that buyers pull with some frequency. But then you're really putting yourself at risk.

In the end, I am not sure you have much recourse that will provide satisfaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.