Stumptown - Anybody else watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by colinu, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving! Thread Starter

And is anyone else curious just how many songs are on the mix tape in the car cassette deck?

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes. Enjoying it, so far. The mixed tape is a running joke - more like a jukebox with a mind of its own playing an endless supply of songs randomly. The show must be paying a fortune for the music rights each episode.

I never knew that 'Stumptown' was an actual nickname for Portland, Oregon ... or that this was first a comic book (sorry, 'graphic novel').

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I might watch it next week. I missed it yesterday because I had to go to the hospital. It couldn't be any worse than the Handmaid's Tale.

4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Enjoyed it so far, and last night's flashbacks were really fun I thought - plus Cobie Smulders really suits the lead character IMO

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Saw the first episode and my initial thought that Cobie (and frankly the rest of the cast) were way-over-acting. Don't get me wrong I like Cobie. Maybe I wasn't quite ready for this one.

I have the second episode recorded but haven't watched it yet. I am willing to give the series a chance.

6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

After seeing promo first 2 times, was interested. After over 20/x's over the summer into fall, lost interest. - I frequently view programming through cable On Demand feature, not DVR, & so, unable to fast forward through commercials. - ABC does this too often. :rolleyes::(:mad: Same thing w/Emergence & last season w/Whiskey Cavalier (which, I did lose interest in that one, anyway, b/c despite all the promos, I did tune in). This one, annoyed they did this & ruined for me, b/c I do like Cobie Smulders.

7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I like Coby Smulders but they are trying waaaay too hard to bring some kind of hipster cred to the thing. The tape deck thing is so contrived, as is the Portland location. They should have just done a Agents of Shield spin-off with Maria Hill leading an all female spy team.

Veggie Boy likes this.
  8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

No. Who the heck names these shows?

shokhead likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its a nickname for Portland

Duke Fame likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this show is awesome. best new show on network tv this fall

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I like it so far

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Her car is clearly either Herbie or Bumblebee.

I kinda don't like how many times she's gotten her butt kicked - and we're only 2 episodes in.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Duke Fame

Never heard that one and I lived in Seattle for a few years. Always knew it as "Rose City". They should've just called it Portlandia, nobody's using that one. :laugh:

groundharp, Spitfire and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I think the point is that being a private eye isn't a cakewalk, and as ex-military, she's tough enough to take it and dish it out too. Remember that even a big bruiser like Jim Rockford (James Garner) frequently got beat up as well. It IS rougher to watch an attractive woman get tossed around, but she's gotta know it comes with the territory, and it's her choice to take the job.

Personally, I think I'd like the show better if she was a full-time skip tracer, because that's an angle we (as television viewers) haven't seen as much as the private eye trope, which has lots of precedents, including a female private eye -- Honey West (Anne Francis).

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I guess when Jim Rockford got beat up it wasn't a man a foot taller choking him, it was usually a gut punch or something.

But Rocky's fights were much shorter too - and often completely unexpected. when he did initiate a fight he had the upper hand at least for the first few seconds. He seemed much more thoughtful about violence.

Or it could be that she's too small and it seems much more unfair.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  16. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Stumptown is one of several nicknames of Portland, Oregon. In the mid-19th century, the city's growth led residents to clear a lot of land quickly, but the tree stumps were not immediately removed; in some areas, there were so many that people used to jump from stump to stump to avoid the muddy, unpaved roads. The nickname is used in the names of several local businesses, including Stumptown Coffee Roasters, an independent coffee roaster and retailer located in Portland; StumpTown Kilts, a maker of men's and women's modern kilts; Stumptown (comics), a creator-owned detective fiction comic book series by Greg Rucka, set in Portland; the Stumptown Comics Fest, an annual Comic Festival held in Portland; and Stumptown Syndicate, a Portland-based 501(c)(3) organization working to create resilient, radically inclusive tech and maker communities that empower positive change.

marmalade166 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not bad so far.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's alright so far,

For new network shows, I am also watching Evil and Prodigal Son.

They are all good, but i am not sure if any of them will last for a second season.

They'd probably all be better on Netflix with one less level of restraint.

Evil may be the best of the lot for me.

marmalade166 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

is every episode going to do flashback? if so I am out as its very annoying !

Brenald79 likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

People who license the comic book the show is named after, maybe? ;)

marmalade166 likes this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Here's the Wikipedia explanation for the origin of Portland's nickname as Stumptown:
    Large numbers of pioneer settlers began arriving in the Willamette Valley in the 1830s via the Oregon Trail, though life was originally centered in nearby Oregon City. In the early 1840s a new settlement emerged ten miles from the mouth of the Willamette River, roughly halfway between Oregon City and Fort Vancouver. This community was initially referred to as "Stumptown" and "The Clearing" because of the many trees cut down to allow for its growth.​

There is a Stumptown Coffee location in Seattle: Seattle Locations | Stumptown Coffee Roasters
    Seattleites should be familiar with Stumptown due to the superior Portland based coffee invading Seattle and the coffee shop promoting the Stumptown name. :D

Duke Fame likes this.
  22. marmalade166

I'm enjoying Evil as well, liked Kristen Bouchard since seeing her in Manhattan

brimuchmuze likes this.
  23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I like Evil so far too. But I have a feeling it is going to take the same type of drawn out arc, introducing more questions than answering, like the shows Lost, Person of Interest and The Blacklist. And notice Michael Emerson is the baddie in Evil (was also in Lost and Person of Interest along with the recent mini series The Name of The Rose on Sundance channel.) If Evil does go down the same path as those shows I mentioned, I will lose interest and quit watching.

24. marmalade166

Doh, I meant Katja Herbers who was also good in Westworld as Emily/Grace :sigh:

brimuchmuze likes this.
  25. Duke Fame

Yeah, I figured it out after hearing it was a nickname for Portland but I honestly had never heard that in my 3 years living in Seattle. As far as the coffee place goes, I don't drink coffee and after checking out their Wiki page they didn't open in Seattle until after I had already moved out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.