Stupid question: Remix vs. Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontokyo, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

It's suddenly occurred to me that I don't know the difference between a reissue that's been "remixed" and one that's been "remastered." I always thought that a remixed song was one where individual "tracks" on the original session tapes could be EQ'd and/or brought up/down in the overall mix. But wouldn't that also be "remastering." It's obvious that I don't really understand this. Any help appreciated.

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

When remixing, a mastering engineer works from the multi-track tapes. When remastering, the engineer works from the master tapes (original hopefully). So, with remastered music, the original mix remains intact while the sonics are polished (or whatever verb fits with the quality of the job). With a remix, the engineer builds a new mix from scratch within the limitations of the multi-tracks to produce a new master. When remastering, only so much can be done as the engineer is limited by the quality of the master tapes.

3. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Ron,

By the way, NOT a stupid question at all! All the terminology can be confusing. :)

4. Ron, here's an example for you.

I met Dave Alvin in early August at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. Dave was kind enough to sign a couple of CD covers for me, including his 1987 album Romeo's Escape. I asked him about the 2001 date on the CD jacket. Alvin was specific in his reply. He said Sony remastered the album, but they didn't remix it. They used the original master tapes, not the multi-track tapes.
    :cheers:

5. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.