Stylus Brush

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by uzn007, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis Thread Starter

Any reason to spend a lot of money one one of these?

I see Amazon has a Diskeeper brand for $8, a Turntable Lab for $12 and a Pro-Ject branded model for $15. They all look identical.

Any reason not to order the cheap one?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Diskeeper one is fine. They probably all come from the same factory.

3. uzn007

That's what I was thinking.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The same thing happens with carbon fiber record brushes.

vinylontubes likes this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

One of the biggest suppliers of these brushes and other accessories is either from Yuh Yih Industrial Co. or Taiwan Bor Ying.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have those things all over the place. I get them with bottles of cleaning fluid and cartridges I've bought. They all have different handles, but the bristle all look the same to me.

7. cjc

cjc Senior Member

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I like the Hunt EDA brush. Below is all you need, the Hunt carbon fiber brush, a little distilled water bottle to spritz the brush to get rid of static, another stiff brush to clean the Hunt after spritzing and before wiping the record (in my case, the brush from my VPI RCM), and something to clean the stylus on occasion (between sides I generally use the Hunt on both the record and the stylus)...

[​IMG]

10. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I don't like the "pancake" type as well as the type I got from Shure and Ortofon (maybe Audio Technica) included with the cartridge.

11. What about the brush included with Denon cartridges like the DL-110? Do you think it's good? I use it on my DL-110 but not much, I prefer to use an all-purpose green goo I buy at Chinese shops (I live in Spain and shops and stores owned by Chinese people and sell all Chinese items grow like mushrooms), it takes all dust and dirt away and in the six months I've been using it I haven't noticed any unwanted side effect. There's a Japanese stylus cleaning pot with what it looks the same kind of goo but black colored that costs around 20 times the green goo I use.

12. uzn007

13. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I find the "pancake style" as opposed to the Shure Type a little more rough on my stylus.
    I also notice when I use the pancake style that the stylus tip sometimes "bottoms out on the brushead" and makes an awful sound.
    I still own the Majic Erasure, Nagaoka High Clean 801, Moongel,and other brushes. But in my opinion, Shure brush is the safest for MY stylus

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

15. action pact

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Does the rigid brush do a good job of removing the distilled water from the Hunt brush, ie: the surface of the disc isn't wetted, right?

16. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I just have a small carbon brush for when there is a lot of dust on the stylus, I dont want any fluids near the cart. To clean that properly I use a "Green Paper" stylus cleaner. If you have a proper cleaning system like an RCM then there is no need for a brush, since your records arnt dusty.

cjc likes this.
  17. cjc

cjc Senior Member

That is key...clean your records and you will probably not need to use a harsher brush than the one Shure and other Cartridge companies supply with their cartridge.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The Hunt brush just gets a light mist from about 8-12 inches away, and the nylon brush helps to distribute it more evenly and clean away dust on the brush, so the record isn't wetted, it's really just changing the humidity at the record surface when brushing to prevent and discharge any static electricity. I've been using that methodology for many, many years with a variety of brushes, and no issues, but I do like the Hunt brush more than others I've used in the past.

amgradmd and action pact like this.
  19. action pact

Great, I'm gonna try this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.