Stylus Fun

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimmy Disco D, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went to play a record after my wife's Chinese New Year party.... disaster strikes!!!!

One of the visitor's kids had obviously taken an interest in the world of hi fi, more specifically in the mechanics of my stylus. :shake:

[​IMG]

Ah well, after an hour or two fuming I realized that I have actually been presented with the opportunity for a sneaky upgrade, every cloud and all that.

So, my question is... will a bronze stylus be compatible with my blue cartridge?

Thanks for reading.

(PS, Lesson learned - always replace your turntable lid after use!)

2. UTP

UTP Forum Resident

Bummer! The 2M blue is a nice cart...

A bronze stylus will fit and work but the cartridge internals that come with the red and blue differ slightly from the bronze and black.

You’d be better off replacing the stylus with a blue or swapping the cart for a complete bronze unit. The bronze and black are a bit more critical when it comes to setting up your arm.

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Better than a cat could do.. good job! :edthumbs:
    I have not owned an Ortofon blue nor a bronze, but by what others have said, it's a significant upgrade. You can expect a more detailed top and, and beautiful distortion free inner groove tracking. Some have said blue sounds a bit rounder, so it's a matter of personal preference. I would say, the better tracking stylus (bronze or black) is the way to go.

bever70 and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

This. A new blue stylus or the whole bronze cart are your best options.
    With the bronze you will need to be more meticulous about installation however.

nosliw, The FRiNgE and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  5. Jimmy Disco D

Thanks. I had a feeling that that was the case, having only had the blue for a few months it's a bit galling having to fork out for a new cartridge too.

I actually bought the P&P version of the blue, presumably I'd still be able to use the head shell part?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont see why not. The blue should last a few months if you play regularly anyway, so perhaps not a big loss.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  7. Jimmy Disco D

Presumably it's fairly straightforward swapping the blue cartridge for a bronze cartridge on the plug & play head shell?

I think I might go for the bronze.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've swapped out a Bronze body for a 2M mono on the Ortofon P & P headshell, from memory it was really straightforward and simple, in my opinion the Bronze is a much nicer cart than the Blue.

9. Jimmy Disco D

Cheers, presumably the P&P headshells are the same across the range? I can't find any info on line to suggest otherwise.

Think I'm going to order me a Bronze cartridge this afternoon.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe it's exactly the same headshell regardless of which 2M cart is fitted.

11. Jimmy Disco D

Cheers mate, I appreciate the reassurance.

Bronze cartridge now ordered!

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I had a cleaning lady take out my cart once. I was mad at first and asked my wife to bring it up with them. She ended up telling them not to come back! I felt bad and asked my wife to re-hire them...but NOT to dust anything on my racks!

PhilBiker and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  13. Jimmy Disco D

The Bronze arrived today and is now installed, it was very easy even for a technophobe like me. (Although I had to borrow the wife’s reading specs).

Straight out the box it sounds fantastic. A noticeable improvement on the Blue, even with my modest system.

Cheers fellas!

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Problem solved. No "ortofon blues" here. :thumbsup:

33na3rd likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I tell my cleaning lady to stay away from the stereo. Don’t touch it.

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

No. Red and blue swap and bronze and black swap.

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Oh, I forgot. Sorry to hear:)
    I tie my arm up and put on the guard on when the kiddies prowl. My brother has the bronze ( you’ll need the bronze body) and it sounds fantastic. I also have the blue and love it. Also don’t hear that much of a difference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.