Styx are working on a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drowningdeep, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

They were "caught in the act" and eventually made it to the "edge of the century" before exploring a "brave New world". Then they rode a "cyclorama" home and watched "big bang theory" for about 11 years before going on a new "mission".

2. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

altaeria likes this.
  3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Mission to Mars type of concept album.

Hope the mastering is good.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've actually got the DVDA of this.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

"Rollin a pair a dice" with a new studio release, eh?

6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I like The Mission album cover better than Cyclorama.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

From the press release:

ndeed, THE MISSION is an aurally adventurous 43-minute thrill ride that chronicles the trials, tribulations, and ultimate triumphs of the first manned mission to Mars in the year 2033. From the hopeful drive of “Gone Gone Gone” to the stargazing machinations of “Locomotive” to the rough-riding blaze of glory that permeates the hard-charging “Red Storm” to the elegiac optimism of the closing track “Mission to Mars,” the album succeeds in delivering the greater good from a band that continues to fire on all cylinders, 45 years after signing its first recording contract.

In fact, THE MISSION--which was recorded over a two-year period at Blackbird Studios, The Shop, and 6 Studio Amontillado in Nashville--displays the best aspects of the ongoing in-harmony musical intersection of the six-man STYX team: the aforementioned guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw, co-founding guitarist/vocalist James “JY” Young, keyboardist/vocalist Lawrence Gowan, original bassist Chuck Panozzo, drummer/percussionist Todd Sucherman, and bassist Ricky Phillips.

The new music was created to reflect the viewpoint of the six-person crew enlisted for the maiden voyage of Khedive, the first entry in a new fleet of nuclear-powered interplanetary spacecraft underwritten by the Global Space Exploration Program (or GSEP, for short). The Khedive team consists of The Pilot, a fully hands-on, seat-of-the-pants born leader; a First Officer who serves as the team’s big-brother figure; an Engineer who is skeptical of every phase of the mission but remains confident in his own abilities to make the best of any technical situation; and a Top-Shelf Trio of science, astrophysics, and survivalist experts.

“The album feels simultaneously comfortable and new,” observes Gowan. “It’s both entertaining and charming, and a natural progression of our sound.” Concludes Panozzo, “THE MISSION is a sincere and honest representation of how STYX built upon where we were in the 20th century in order to go somewhere new in the 21st century.” And that’s the gist of THE MISSION, STYX’s bold sonic voyage into an exciting new frontier with the goal of discovering how the universe’s mysteries unfold—and then creating the perfect soundtrack to accompany it.

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Meh...much like GnR, AC/DC, Van Halen and many more, they need to quit now.

Scottb likes this.
  9. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

"The new music was created to reflect the viewpoint of the six-person crew enlisted for the maiden voyage of Khedive, the first entry in a new fleet of nuclear-powered interplanetary spacecraft underwritten by the Global Space Exploration Program (or GSEP, for short). The Khedive team consists of The Pilot, a fully hands-on, seat-of-the-pants born leader; a First Officer who serves as the team’s big-brother figure; an Engineer who is skeptical of every phase of the mission but remains confident in his own abilities to make the best of any technical situation; and a Top-Shelf Trio of science, astrophysics, and survivalist experts."

Sounds like a futuristic Kilroy Was Here description. The featured single Gone Gone Gone is just ok, simple straight up rock. I'm very ok with Gowan, he has been there long enough to fit in with the others. Sure would love to see Dennis but really doubt that happens, I mean why as long as they have Gowan??

Styx seems to be doing better than some of the other AOR type bands from the 70's. Still creating music and they look pretty good on stage as well as sound good too. If JY or Shaw leave then yea fogetabouit!! Styx will be done

I'll buy the album for sure..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    driverdrummer and MikeInFla like this.
  10. MikeInFla

Now up on the Styx site for preorder including clear vinyl. Looks cool, comes with autographs.

Styx

11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

PRE-Orders now being taken for the CD and vinyl sets on Amazon.com

Sounds like largely Tommy's baby- he mentioned in an interview today that a 5.1 mix was made. Hopefully some deluxe version will be coming out as well..........

MikeInFla and PTgraphics like this.
  12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is the video that's on the website the first single from the new album? What's with Gowans new haircut? At least from the picture on Amazon it looks like a jewel case release and not a card sleeve which I can't stand. I'm really a Styx with Dennis fan but if Tommy wrote some great songs that he sings lead on I'll get the new CD.

PTgraphics and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

Yeah I saw that too, Gowan looks bad in that pic......

14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is he trying to be the male version of Gwen Stefani!!

15. Wingsfan2012

or has he just aged poorly?

16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes he looks ridiculous. I still haven't warmed up to him. He has a very good voice for his own material but I still cringe when I hear him sing many of the songs Dennis' sang lead on. Plus when he's on stage he keeps spinning his keyboard around so much and skips many keyboard parts that Dennis used to play since he's so busy spinning the keyboard and running around. The highlight for me will be the Tommy and JY stuff. Gowan needs a new barber!!

Matthew Tate and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  17. Wingsfan2012

This is from the UK tour last year..........

[​IMG]

18. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

That would be a great style for a Vegas residency!!

mr.dave likes this.
  19. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I wonder what they're thinking making a concept album about space travel. An aging, way past their prime rock band who releases a new album once every 15 years, and they waste it on a concept space travel record? I would like to see Tommy Shaw go solo or go back and put together something with the Damn Yankees. I hate to see him go out like this.

20. MikeInFla

New video

21. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

The new song reminds me of Putting Me On I Am Your Brand New Record Album from Crystal Ball. I always thought was a super corny song. I really struggled with everything after Cornerstone but I did like Gowan's early albums. I was thinking that an album with Gowan might work. After the first song I am not sure. I'm still interested and will be open minded but that's what I said about Kilroy.

22. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't think it really sounds like 'Put Me On' which is a favorite of mine as it has everything in it-hard rocking and then really nice soft passages and then the sped up ending that goes right into Mademoiselle is great.

izgoblin and MikeInFla like this.
  23. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is that the whole song? It's only 2 minutes long.

24. MikeInFla

Yep, short album it has 14 songs and is 43 minutes from some things I have read.

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Wow and I haven't heard a 2 minute song probably since the 50's (with a few exceptions of course) I hope the Tommy and JY songs are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.