Styx are working on a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drowningdeep, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm glad it's a concept album. Hopefully it's full of those wonderful Styx synths from back then.

Ken.e. and MikeInFla like this.
  2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Probably won't be buying this, but it makes me strangely happy that Styx is putting out a new concept album. Rock on!

MikeInFla, Matthew Tate and Ken.e. like this.
  3. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

The thing is if they would actually bury the hatchet with Dennis and release an album I bet it would get a lot of attention and probably go top 20

Famous Chicago with Peter but I hear Peter just doesn't want to do it because it's too lazy

spsimmons and Terrapin Station like this.
  4. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

That's kind of what "Brave New World" was supposed to be. What it ended up being was an album with several Tommy/JY songs, and several Dennis songs - almost like two different albums mixed together.

Now personally, I liked it just fine - but I'm the exception. I don't see anything from any classic rock act going Top 20 in 2017...

Dave and MikeInFla like this.
  5. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. Who cares (other than the group itself) how many copies it sells? I give them a lot of credit for doing something new. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will suck. But at least it is not just another re-recorded set of the same 20 songs they've been singing for 40 years.

It's time more "classic rock" acts did this. Take some of that touring and royalty money - record some original material - and distribute the damn thing online if you have to. If you sell 10,000 copies - at least you exercised your artistic chops and put yourself out there.

Dave, The Trinity, Purple and 4 others like this.
  6. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

:righton:

Rick A.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There's a blurb on the ad calling it a "hi-Fidelity analog recording".

Dave, mr.dave, Ken.e. and 2 others like this.
  8. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Yes--I don't entirely understand when people say, "They're old, they should just give it up." Obviously after 30-40 forty years, many artists are not creating at the same level they were when they started. But who are we to tell any artist that they're too old and should quit?

If they have the energy and ideas to keep going when they're 60, 70, 80, and it makes them happy--then by all means GO for it!

Dave, Galley, Ken.e. and 2 others like this.
  9. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Lots of artists are still producing great product in their later years and are putting out music on a regular basis. Neil Young, Paul McCartney, Paul Weller, Paul Simon, Ringo Starr, Bruce Springsteen Marillion, Chicago and Elton John to name few. There are many however that are more active reliving their past glories by touring their hits. I think part of it is that when people go see them live they only go for the hits and tend to appear disinterested when they play new material.
    Cool to see them put new material out. I'm also excited to see Roger Waters putting out a concept album in 2017. I think Steven Wilson's concept records are helping bring the concept album back.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Cut your first thought a bit short but the above would be my sentiments. They no longer get to bitch about DeYoung and Kilroy. What jerkwads.

longaway and spsimmons like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

probably the last release of new material by styx

12. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

I haven't really liked anything they've recorded since Dennis left, but I'll probably give this a try. I know they had their creative differences with him, but I truly think that friction brought out the best in all of them.

I do find it funny that they are going with a concept album, considering how they used to diss Dennis for wanting to do the same thing. Kind of like when they mocked him for playing solo shows with symphonies, saying they would never sink to that level -- and then doing exactly that a couple of years later.

BeatleJWOL and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

And to think they dumped Dennis for someone more Vegas?????? Yikes!

14. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

I'll admit that for me there's been something to like in just about all the later incarnations of Styx - they all had a little something to offer.

Even though I've always been more of a Tommy fan than a Dennis fan - I thought Edge of the Century was good. Glen Burtnik was a great replacement for Shaw - his songs were straight forward rock/pop - they added a lot to that record.

Brave New World was closer to the original lineup with both Tommy and Dennis, and there were some good songs but not much meshing between factions.

Then after Dennis left, ironically Burtnik was back replacing Panozzo this time. Cyclorama was a damn good record as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion Burtnik has been missed.

15. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Been seeing them since 1978. Hardly miss a tour. Going Saturday to see them in Marksville, LA. GREAT room out in the middle of nowhere. Wonder if any song(s) will be played from the new album.

Lots has been said in the past about Styx. Bottom line is, this unit loves to tour, Dennis does NOT. I know it's not "Classic Styx", but will be the closest thing we get. Yes, Burtnik was a good fit for them, but the touring at that pace had him bow out. Ricky Phillips is a good musician. Gowan has more than made a place for himself in the band, does DDY parts quite well.

Would I like to see a reunion between Tommy, JY and DDY? HELL YES. I'm not holding my breathe waiting for it to happen.

The funny thing in all of this - they are calling this album a *Concept Album*. Funny, isn't that what drove a wedge between the rockers(Tommy and JY) and DDY? Hmmm.......

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I don't think it was so much a "concept" but the story that was Kilroy. BNW was somewhat of a concept as well. I think at that time the other members just wanted to make a record with no boundaries. They did that with Cyclorama. Maybe feelings towards a concept have changed since 1983. Personally, I like the Kilroy story and the mini movie that went along with it. I'm looking forward to this new one. If it truly does reflect the sound of GI and PO8 then many fans will probably be pleased. Some elements of Gone Gone Gone remind me of "Southern Woman" for some reason. I hear some Wooden Nickel sounds in that new song.

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

So they kick out the original guy who went too Vegas and made them do a sci-fi concept album only to replace him with a guy more Vegas and do a sci-fi concept album.

Can you say, "Ego driven power play?"

18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Looks like Tommy's traded whiskey and cocaine for Botox. Looks like he's using more than a Victoria's Secret alumni convention.

spsimmons likes this.
  19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

No Dennis, No Styx. When will these bands, like Journey, realize that for whatever reasons they may have for splitting, to the fans it will NEVER be the same without the full original group. Even when the original lead singers are there, if someone is missing, then the "magic" is also gone. The Who, etc. Even if Dennis returned, the drummer is long dead from alcohol abuse. Sad.

spsimmons likes this.
  20. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

That video is funny. They trot out ol Chuck Panazzo at the beginning, show him strapping on his guitar and then he doesn't show up for the rest of the video. They really like to use him as a prop. "Hey look, it's an original member!"

Galley, tspit74 and Scottb like this.
  21. RockWizard

Said it before, I'll say it again, when Chuck is up there, he is not really playing. YES...I can see the green and red lights on his transmitter "on", but I don't hear and feel the bottom end that he should be making. Besides, the movement of his left hand sure doesn't match the bass line if he were playing. To me, looks like Ricky(usually on a double neck) is doing the bass lines. Shame you can't get REALLY close anymore. If I were by the stage in front of a monitor, I could get a definitive answer to this.

MikeInFla and spsimmons like this.
  22. RockWizard

The Styx story for me is sad in a way. When they announced getting back in 1996, my only concern was if Tommy would be in the fold. I enjoyed Paradise, tolerated Kilroy(the show for the home video was filmed at the Saenger in NOLA), but I couldn't handle a FULLY controlled show by Dennis without Tommy and JY working together. Dennis will NEVER admit it, but he drove a HUGE wedge in the fan base when his writing went soft with Babe. And WTF was Dennis thinking wearing a pink suit for the Kilroy show? OUCH!!

23. Matthew Tate

for the video or when chuck comes onstage with them ever?

24. RockWizard

When he comes out for his 1-3 songs. Maybe I can get close enough Saturday in Marksville(unless there is a barrier making a 10ft gap). If I can be BY the stage, I might have answers. My better half thinks I'm nuts, but I can't help but go with what my eyes see and ears hear.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

thank you. let me know what you see

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.