Styx are working on a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drowningdeep, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Matthew, I've seen more times than I care to remember. It just don't add up. BUT.... if I'm by a foldback monitor........no doubt then......

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

never seen then live and only have dvds with him on it. obviously its not really possible on a dvd to tell whats going on

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I know years ago when Chuck would show up Burtnik would switch over to guitar. Haven't seen Chuck show up since Ricky has joined so I dunno.

Here is another new song.... Performed by a tribute band. Wonder how they heard it??? It's the album opener and it does have that classic Styx sound if this is the actual album opener.

4. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

That does sound very Styx-like. Interesting. Almost like something DeYoung would have written himself. Funny that they try to distance themselves from him, but seem to be returning to his style with the concept album/the Wooden Nickle sound of the new single, and this "overture".

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Nothing wrong with some of the ballads like "Babe." While I also prefer the hard rocking tunes, songs like "Babe" made the radio and helped push album sales WAY up. Can't deny it. This makes me think of KISS and how shocked the 3 band members were when Peter Criss's "Beth" was a huge success. It brought in the female audience, sold millions, and added a little diversity to the show. Anyone who writes a song that lights up the charts should have their ass kissed, not kicked.

PTgraphics likes this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It was the 80's and pastel colors were hot back then-think Miami Vice!

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Clearly, it's time for a New world (Mars) to Bow to the Power of Styx! ;)

Ok, I actually love that new single, but this ad had me LOLing!

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Kinda dig it. I don't believe the sync on this video for a second :p but as a showcase for the track I much prefer it to a static image.

Sounds pretty great though! Just...not actually Styx :D

9. RockWizard

Went last night in Marksville to see Styx. The drive, more brutal than I can remember. The show - FANTASTIC. Opened with the new track, then basically followed the usual set of hits. Chuck hits the stage to do a few songs. He is "playing" a Rickenbacker 4003 - a bass KNOWN for bottom end. Sorry folks, he wasn't playing. Only bottom heard was a heavy snare and the kick drum. Even after being allowed to the FRONT of the stage(security held off the crowd until the last few songs!), sure didn't hear anything from the monitors.

If anybody from the Styx camp would like to dispute, I'm listening....... I know what I saw and heard, and the Rick put the proof in.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wasn't that JY?

11. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I noticed the same thing on the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight DVD as well.

12. RockWizard

No. DDY.

13. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

This is a laugh riot! My god, how pompous. I love Styx, but this is frickin' hilarious!

driverdrummer and mrjinks like this.
  14. RockWizard

Glad to see this and the other footage previously only seen at Styx shows. Never saw the commercials before. Great stuff. So glad they FINALLY put out the videos on DVD quite a few years back.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The Main Event tour was an awesome tour from what people have told me. I was too young, etc.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

More likely he was playing and the sound screwed up-- If he truly wasn't playing there would have been a fake bass in the mix. (When I've seen Styx in recent years there was bass during his spot and it matched what he was playing.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. RockWizard

Hard to screw up when his "gain" isn't on. Anytime Chuck comes out, Ricky switches to a double-neck. Now, for the last song, Ricky was on the 4003, you heard that. Hell, maybe the next time I see them, I'll have to look at the board and see where Chuck's slider is. I just find it strange whenever he hits the stage, the deep bass Ricky is bringing disappears. Strange days indeed!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

[​IMG]
    Pink suit hahaha

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think you are thinking of the 1 piece windbreaker track suit thing. i thought JY wore that at some point

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya JY wore a pink jumpsuit haha.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Sounds like the narrator of Shake Hands with Danger.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This is a great post, pretty much an instant review of the record without having to hear it. Self-parody four decades down the line.

23. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Not a review of the record, a review of the concept.

troggy likes this.
  24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My parents went to a show on the tour.

PTgraphics likes this.
  25. RockWizard

My first tour seeing them for Pieces of Eight. Saw all including Kilroy at the Saenger Theater(where the video was shot) and at the Coast Colliseum in Biloxi(too big...DID NOT WORK). I can honestly say with he exception of a tour or two, haven't missed them since 1978. Shame they cut their sets down so much. I can remember them doing two hour shows including a medley of 14 or so songs(something they should put back in). I know many don't like Styx without DDY, but at least Tommy and JY still have the rocking edge.

MikeInFla and PTgraphics like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.