Sub Issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeffrey Wong, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey Wong

Jeffrey Wong New Member Thread Starter

Ok, so I lent my sub woofer to a friend for a party. The sub was played at max volume for about 5 or 6 hours. Near the end of the party, the sub just made a loud "eeerrrrrr" until it was turned off and then turned back again. I currently am using it, however when the volume is but above 1/4 way, the sub rattles and after about 30s, it makes the ringing noises again. I Checked the fuse, and opened it up to check for ground loops, Any suggestions of fixing the speaker without taking it to a technician. The sub btw is a Harmon Kardon - HKSUB12.

2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Can you still hear?

I would take the sub in for service. It's unlikely to be anything user-fixable -- unless the user is an electronics whiz.

3. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Not familiar with your sub, but that "volume" knob is likely a "gain" adjustment pot and not meant to be turned to max except under the rarest of input conditions.

"Max" isn't a place most audio equipment wants to go.

4. I feel defmoot is right. I think it needs an expert to look at it. good luck

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have it serviced or make your friend pay for a replacement. No hi-fi equipment is meant to be played at max volume let alone for hours on end. Your friend should have rented a pro-sub for his party.

Good luck !

6. You already have good advice about taking it to a pro shop for work, especially if you are not versed in the ways of electricity. You could easily further simple, repairable damage to the level of not repairable.
    With that said, if you are so inclined to look into this further yourself I have some suggestions.
    1) Look up the full replacement cost of your exact sub. That way you will know when the cost of repair becomes no longer smart money spent. These things depreciate pretty quickly so maybe you can get a replacement for less than a repair.
    2) The "rattling" makes me things something mechanical happened. I can not hear your sub so I only have your words to go by. Speakers do not rattle. Broken cabinet braces rattle, broken suspension cages rattle, loose cross over parts rattle, wires not fastened down rattle.
    3) The shut down when being pushed could be internal safety gear doing its work. When a speaker is built with cut out circuitry it can scare the heck out of you the first time in trips because you think you blew it up...until it comes back on and works fine again. The worst are auto reset circuits because the thing goes off when past its limit but comes back on when ready again. This often happens with the volume still too high and blasts you without warning. Talk about making the baby cry!
    4) A steady ring is indicative of an electrical issue and probably needs to be electrically tested to find the exact part that has failed.
    Keep your receipts for whatever you do. Talk with your friend about the costs and damage in a straight, calm manner.
    Who knows, maybe you can work a deal with him. He gets the old sub he damaged. You get full replacement value. You add to the money and come home with an even better sub that you DO NOT loan to said friend.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.

7. Mike-48

P.S. I am SO HAPPY I'm not your friend's neighbor!

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

That sub came out around 2003/2004 and the MSRP was just $200. For being more than a decade old, I would say you got your money's worth out if it. I wouldn't put any more money into it. Leave it at the curb and have your friend buy you something new.

Mike-48 and rebellovw like this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Very nice of you to loan the sub out to a friend, but wow that's throwing it into a meat grinder:)
    Time to shop for another sub.
    Sounds like it was a good party.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - time to kiss that puppy good bye and understand you have learned one of life's cruel lessons - don't lend anything to friends (things that you care about.)

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

WHAT'D YOU SAY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU.....

13. Mike-48

Dave did his homework and looked it up. Given the unit's age and original cost, I agree with his conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.