Submarine movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rick Bartlett, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

There is a theory that the Patrick McGoohan character in Ice Station Zebra is the same character as that in The Prisoner.

Jerk The Handle and Remurmur like this.
  2. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Thanks, my pleasure, it's humbling to experience these ships and artefacts.

The museums at the Historic Dockyard are incredible, including HMS Victory, The Mary Rose and HMS Warrior.

My younger son and I visited for the weekend, almost too much to see!!

A good excuse for a return trip.

Another highlight was HMS M.33, the last surviving British ship from The Dardanelles campaign of 1915/16.

HMS M.33

Remurmur, Subvet and Rick Bartlett like this.
  3. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Thank you very much Steve, I enjoyed my time and wish I'd made it a career. And thanks for posting those pictures. That museum must really be something. Being on a sub during WWII surely would have been terrifying.

Remurmur and Gasman1003 like this.
  4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

My pleasure, Ed.

The museum(s) are fabulous, almost overwhelmingly so.

The guide was very informative. He told of when they had to sink a certain ship in 1982, they could not use a torpedo of the time, as the cruiser dated from the Second World War era, so they had to use an older type of torpedo. His stories of bathroom functions were also very interesting!!

I would have been terrified on a submarine anytime :oops:

Remurmur and Subvet like this.
  5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

(Sigh) What is wrong with people? IT WAS A TV SERIES TO START WITH! It was made in its full-length version for German TV prior to being released as a cut-down feature film (I have the whole shebang on DVD in addition to the BR of the feature.)

Remurmur and longdist01 like this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, this was my favorite submarine movie when I was young.

Clark Gable barking "Dive, dive!" and then slapping the periscope handles still sticks in my mind . :D

Remurmur likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    All of the plans for creation of Production Subs used in "DAS BOOT" mini-series and Movie came from measurement and research of the original U505 U-Boat on permanent display at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry

[​IMG]

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yep. Being in Chicago, I've toured this sub several times in my lifetime .
    The biggest takeaway I got a few years ago is how cramped the sleeping area with hammocks (or bunks or whatever )
    was and ,that when it was your shift to work someone else was sleeping in the same hammock or bunk.

Add to this that the sub didn't surface sometimes for weeks at at time probably made for a pretty gamey experience .

My idea of a bad nightmare would be being submerged in the sub with depth charges etc., rocking the sub with full knowledge that there was nowhere to run.

So, my sincere hats off to any and all crew members who ever served under war time conditions .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I saw Ice Station Zebra when I was a teenager.
    I've seen it once since then.
    My opinion hasn't changed.
    This was a big budget, big star movie that absolutely wasted my time. Not in the least bit interesting or engaging. Perhaps for someone that served on a sub, it was interesting. But the story was just lame.
    A real stinker of a movie. I had just gone to downtown Chicago a few months earlier to see 2001 a Space Odyssey and it was fantastic on the big curved screen. I was hoping the same for Ice Station Zebra that fall, but was sorely disappointed.
    40 feet, thick ice. 30 feet, thick ice, 20 feet, thick ice......

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    fr in sc and Remurmur like this.
  10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Much nicer that they dug a big basement and brought the U505 inside. I toured it many, many times as a youth, out in the backyard of the museum. Apparently , the weather was getting the best of it out there. I've toured it a time or two in the last 10 years and it is much better displayed and interpreted now. The Museum of Science and Industry was and still is one of my favorite attractions in Chicago.

11. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

That's what I remember also.

jerol

Remurmur and Glenn Christense like this.
  12. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I have a DVD of a 1947 movie sort of in the Film Noir genre called "The Damned." It's about a bunch of Nazis escaping in a submarine to South America at the end of WW II. It was black & white, directed by a man named Rene Clement, and is apparently of French lineage, and has English subtitles.

I seem to remember that there were several Nazi subs which actually transported Nazi bigwigs to South American countries at rhe nd of WW II in Europe, so I would imagine to some extent it was based on a real-life occurrence.

I've toured several WW II-era American submarines, one moored with the battleship USS Massachusetts out east, and another moored at Manitowoc, WI, where about 30 American subs were manufactured during the war.

13. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

U571 is a great submarine film imo. Good cast of talented actors.

Remurmur likes this.
  14. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

The Land That Time Forgot with Doug McClure.

The best sub movie is definitely Das Boot

fr in sc and Remurmur like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally got a copy of the 59' film 'on the beach'. I thought this was a very good film, and surprised I hadn't heard
    of it before your mention. Maybe a part of the appeal for me too, some of those locations used I am
    familiar with, considering some of it was filmed around Melbourne.
    Watching Ava Gardiner (running towards Flinders Train Station is just mesmerizing!
    The station itself hasn't changed a whole lot.
    then 1959:
    [​IMG]
    Now 2017:
    [​IMG]
    Great all star cast too! Glad to finally get to own this one.
    Next up 'above the waves'.

CusBlues, lance b, Remurmur and 2 others like this.
  16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Great movie but I do get annoyed when speak of it and say 'Ice Station Zee-bra....'. MacLean was Scottish! It's 'Zeh-bra'.

CusBlues and Remurmur like this.
  17. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Such atmospheric films should be banned in other than original language :)

CusBlues, Remurmur and Gasman1003 like this.
  18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

How could anyone forget Hellcats of the Navy, starring Ronald AND Nancy Davis (Reagan) from 1957? I'm simply gobsmacked!!! :biglaugh:

19. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Mine as well ! :righton:

Tarentino got it right then.

The Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer...;) :)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    CusBlues likes this.
  20. Remurmur

I was going to add this one if someone had not added it already. One of my favorite movies, period.

I have also read Neville Shute's original novel of the same name . Incredible book.

CusBlues and dukesdown like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh yeah,? Then whaddya call the John Buscema Silver Surfer? :mad:

22. Remurmur

In the movie the argument was solely between Jack Kirby's and Moebius' (Jean Giraud's) Silver Surfer. John Buscema was not mentioned. So, I was just making a quip based only on the movie dialog. No disrespect to Buscema was intended.

I never got a chance to read Buscema's initial Sliver Surfer run but as a Fantastic Four fan, I actually preferred his drawing of the FF when he took over the book from John Romita Sr. after Romita briefly replaced Jack Kirby when Kirby left for DC.

CusBlues likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Makes sense to me...until you brought up Mobius drawing Silver Surfer. :wtf: Damn Europeans...

Been awhile since I saw the film (and only the shorter, "Catholic-Wedding-Length" version), but I only know of a Mobious Surfer book in the 1980s - one-shot, right...?

Edit: Oh. You're refereing to "Crimson Tide", not "Das Boot". Ohhhkay, I was in the wrong decade on this mindless distraction. Prepare For Dive...:hide:

24. Remurmur

I think that's the one that they were referring to . I know of it but have not read it .

CusBlues likes this.
  25. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Yes, that's the one !!

I also like John Wayne in Operation Pacific

Ice Station Zebra is the submarine version of The Towering Inferno when it comes to big budget, bug star movies...

CusBlues, Remurmur and dewey02 like this.