Subwoofer advice needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel1963, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Not long ago, I wrote about the problems I was having playing music at any appreciable volume in my condo, because of complaints from my senior citizen neighbour (who also heard non-existent sounds in the middle of the night). Because of the crappy architecture, bass thumping that I could not hear in my listening space could be heard through the walls.
    Anyway, I played the music at lower volumes and everything seemed to be all right, until recently...
    A couple of weeks ago, my stereo (a DVD/CD bookshelf system) crapped out and wouldn't read anything, and indicated a DVD 2HO error message. I bought the system from Future Shop under a three-year warranty, so I was entitled to a new system equivalent in cost or a credit equal in value. Turns out my type of system is a lot less expensive, and I wasn't about to get a Home Theatre for my bedroom!

So, as my computer plays CDs and DVDs, I opted for $100 computer speakers with a 19-watt suibwoofer, which I figured (and the salesguy convinced me) wouldn't be too offensive. Well, according to my brother, whose bedroom is across from mine, he hears the sub's rumble.

I firmly refuse to listen to my music in AM quality no-bass sound, which is what I was getting on my original computer speakers. Right now, I'm adjusting the bass depending on the song. But is there anything I can do with the sub (in terms of placement or anything else), where I can get the benefits of the nice bass sound without offending anyone? This is really frustrating...:help:

BTW, I will be reasonable. I will not play techno (don't like it anyway) and I will restrict the deep bass reggae to my car stereo.

2. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.