Subwoofer gurus, can you spare a minute?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Major Infidel, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I'll stand by my original recommendation of the Hsu Research USL-15 Mk 2 for bang for buck depth. As I pointed out earlier, the Mk 1 version integrates well with difficult speakers like my Maggies. Admittedly I'm unfamiliar with the Klipsch RP-160Ms, so I have no way of knowing which sub would best satisfy Major Infidel's needs, but for clean low bass I definitely wouldn't rule out a 15" Hsu Research (to go deep, size really does matter).

:cheers:
    Cat

Major Infidel and SteelyNJ like this.
  2. R. Cat Conrad

Follow-up. I posted a pic about a year ago of my system in another thread. Recent upgrades have been added (not yet added to my forum reference system), but to get a better picture of the Hsu subwoofer set-up I've been discussing here's an IPad photo taken earlier today:

[​IMG]

Latest system additions include Naim CDX2 and Teddy Pardo XPS power supply as alternative CD playback source to my "Swiss Army knife" OPPO (tube modified by ModWright). Alas, I'm still in the process of moving a couple of unused Gallo speakers into a second system, so they snuck into the picture as well. :laugh:

Cat

Major Infidel and PhilBiker like this.
  3. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Forget the hi-fi, that room looks amazing!

I've been thinking about getting a sub this year and have the USL-15 Mk 2 on my list. I live in a co-op and the room itself is 11x11. Usage would be for music only. I would like get some more pronounced bass, but I'm thinking it might be too much especially since I wont be pushing it at high volumes. Not a fan of the common all black look, so it was nice to see a rosewood color offering since I have Onix RS 850's.

Anyway, continued listening pleasures!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Major Infidel and PhilBiker like this.
  4. Major Infidel

Major Infidel Member Thread Starter

R. Cat, I have to second @gpalz comment. That room is truly gorgeous. :thumbsup:

5. R. Cat Conrad

Thanks guys! :tiphat: As for integrating well, ...my subwoofer blends in to the point of almost disappearing in that picture! :laugh:

Cat

Major Infidel likes this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For subs with high level ins, but no outs, do you think the "double banana plug" method (seen on the bottom half of the pic) will properly work as bass management for vintage amps (like Fisher)? (Sorry, but I couldn't find a pic of it being done on an actual servo sub with only ins).
    [​IMG]

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

It would work to send a signal to both the sub and the speakers but not bass management.

Bass management on the sub is usually a high pass filter that restricts the low frequencies from reaching the mains.

In the setup above, all frequencies will go to both the mains and the sub.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Dagnabit!

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Older Servo subs used to have ins and outs! Isn't there a good sub that still has these?

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I suppose if they work, I could use the center speaker option on my vintage amp for my sub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.