Subwoofer quality for 45 hz and lower?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Katz, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katz

Katz Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello

I'm wondering how much I should spend on a pair of subwoofers.

My requirements are for a decent sub to reproduce 45hz to around 20hz. I'm pairing them with Triangle Genese Quartet speakers (go as low as 35hz +/- 3db).

Now, looks are VERY important, not to the detriment of the quality of course, but I would hate a boring square plain box.

I'm also limited by what my local hi-fi store has to offer, so for instance there's no REL, Velodyne, etc.

I'm generally looking at 3 models, from cheaper to more expensive: Yamaha SW700 (i've had this before in a 2.1, really good) - it looks like a black sawed-off piano black pyramid, down-firing into a special bass dispersal panel (not straight on the floor) really nice, goes down to 20hz, 300 w class D amp, around 700 USD ; Triangle Theta 380 - goes down to 20h, 300 w class d, down firing straight to floor, looks like a piano black shiny black cube - 1350 USD and Yamaha SW900 - goes down to about 16hz, frond firing, looks almost like a piano black cube but has a few angled surfaces, 600 W class d, never heard it but apparently it's "faster" and more powerful than the SW700 which I really liked - 1400 USD.

Now, I'm obviously inclined in getting the SW700 - it looks by far the best, is arguably same or better sounding than the much more expensive Triangle. But I'm wondering about the SW900 - it's twice the price. Sure, it has 600 w vs 300 w, but from yamaha's website, the cone, even though the same (around 10 inch) is from a better material and is "faster". I know in general, fast bass is better, but considering I'm using it to complement an (almost) full range tower set with actual fast bass, and use it only from around 40-45 hz down to 20hz, Is it worth it to spend double on a front firing subwoofer, that has twice the power (I barely need the 300w of the 700 nevermind the 600w of the 900), is front firing (might be an advantage, might not), is a bit "faster" (how much that matters from around 40hz and below is beyond me) and goes down to 16hz vs 20hz?

I know it's a complicated question, but I'm wondering about subwoofer users' input on this.

Thanks!

2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

The amount of power required is a function of the speaker's efficiency. For subs, the design is often to stiffen the spiders and suspension to help control the driver from ringing, continuing to move after the note has finished. This requires more power to overcome the stiffness.

I wouldn't put too much into the power ratings alone. You want to look at the power combined with efficiency.

Note, there is another way around this, using some sort of servo feedback system to control the driver electronically. This requires less of the suspension and spiders, and less of the amp.

3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

If price is a factor for buying two subs, SVS SB1000 you can get 2 for less than a grand with their discount. These are rated to 24Hz +/- 3dB

Vinny123 likes this.
  4. seslwr

seslwr Well-Known Member

I would also recommend taking a look at SVS. They have a dealer in Bucharest - AVstore.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah, "fast" bass. I once got into a somewhat heated discussion about this with the VP of engineering for a huge speaker company. He maintained-correctly-that bass is not fast because it is low frequencies. I maintained-also correctly-that "fast bass" was really about the upper end of the subwoofers' response, and the integration with the main speakers at those frequencies. After back-and-forth, I finally said "OK, "fast bass" is a mistaked phrase but you know what I mean, eh!?!" He hired me that very day :righton:

Anyway let me say as a loudspeaker engineer that subwoofers are very special creatures, not like normal speakers at all. So specialized brands like SVS, Hsu, REL, JL, etc tend to have better value and performance.

Particularly for your application, that is very tough. If you must buy from local dealers, I would want to try an actual demo with actual music that has content that low-organ etc. And I would want to crank up a low frequency test sweep, to see if those subs' claims are really true or just advertising nonsense. I'd also observe that for what you want, I'd sure rather have 600 watts than 300, even though power is just part of the equation. I'd also want a larger cone than 10."

Are you open to DIY? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/
    Subwoofers - diyAudio

Kyhl likes this.
  6. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have two of them. Really like them. Recently added a DSPeaker subwoofer correction unit. Fantastic combination for music w the SB 1000’s.

Catcher10 likes this.
  7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

With the speakers you have, speaking as a user of dual subs for probably 25 years, you really don't need a monster powerful sub, you just don't. I just don't think you can beat the SVS model SB-1000 subs with 12' drivers, not too big and not too small, perfect to use with your speakers. I absolutely would purchase one for each channel, subs are really suppose to be felt, not heard, they need to blend, and that beautiful Steinway gloss black finish on the SVS subs is very nice indeed, so that is what I would get if I had your speakers. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.