Subwoofer to 2nd set of speaker outputs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Upstateaudio, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked a Kin Subwoofer to add to my main system. Due to age of system, I have to use the speakeroutputs to power them. Unfortunately, I have banana plugs as connectors for this system, outputs and inputs only fitted for spades. Will send out cables to replace connectors. But I am impatient to burn in.

I have an old nad receiver for my 2nd system. 7225pe to be precise. Would it hurt to use the 2nd set of speaker outputs on it to burn in with cheap speaker wire ? I will br playing low volume to avoid low impedance overload and clipping? Thanks in advance .

2. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

It won't hurt. You are not driving the sub with your NAD's power. The sub is using it's own amp to power the woofer.

3. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

maybe the kin subwoofer has some protective plugs in the binding post, you need to remove to use banana plugs ?

timind likes this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'll bet this is your solution. I had the same issue with my Gallo sub. Get a small Swiss Army knife or something similar and pry a bit.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I tried this once and with my sub I heard a ground loop hum when it was off.
    On my current setup I have banana plugs for the mains and space lugs for the sub connected in parallel to the same terminal. Can't you connect the sub to the same terminals as the mains?

6. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member Thread Starter

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.