Subwoofer Upgrade - Is this upgrade worth for my system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by popomg, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popomg

popomg New Member Thread Starter

My system is KEF LS50 + NAD D3020 for desktop computer.

Room 13x14.5x8 feet (4x4.5x2.5 m)

Subwoofer currently use JBL ES150P but considered SVS SB2000 or ELAC S12EQ.

In my country SB2000 (Only have Piano Gloss) has price tag 960$

S12EQ: 675$

I have budget around 1500$ (if need be) but want to use it wisely.

Does this upgrade make significant different? or should I consider other Subs? or better to upgrade Amp DAC?

I love small to medium size integrate amp because conveniency to use on desk ( 160x80 cm).

Thank guys, any recommendations will be welcome.

2. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I’ve had an older model SVS for 10+ years now (PCi 20-39) and I have never regretted the purchase. I’ve also never bottomed it out at reasonable listening levels, and my open floor plan living space is larger than your room.

3. popomg

popomg New Member Thread Starter

I'll admit I'm more interest in SB2000 than S12EQ due to
    • SVS is trusted and old brand when it come to Subwoofer.
    • Have physical control (not much convenience but more reliable)
    • Smaller footprint (if want to add more in the future)
    • Seal Type (Don't have experience in any but I think I prefer more accurate and tight sound but worried a bit since Movie+Gaming 40% )
    But in my country if go SVS I must paid 300$ more. (Amazon price in US both equal 700$)
    And S12EQ have AutoEQ to adjust for listening position, since my Amp don't have any features.

Damn, tough choice.

4. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have the SB 2000 in my two channel system, great performer...

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Only you can answer that question. To moot, an acquaintance of mine brought over his LS50s to my place. Disabling the subwoofer gave a fine sound but something was missing, IMHO. No oomph, no impact, no "you are there" sound. After adding the sub, it sounded so much better, IMHO.

Meanwhile, the other gentleman preferred it without the sub, even when turned down by half the volume I preferred. His preferences leaned towards no subs at all. He had 2 at his place and removed them completely.

Without the sub, I thought the LS50s sounded weak and "detached" from the music, for lack of a better word.

Same gear, room, and tracks but two different opinions. Like I said, only you can answer the question.

MackKnife likes this.
  6. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Integrating the Elac into your room would be much easier than the SVS as you can use an app on your phone/tablet. I helped a friend set one up and was impressed by how simple and fast it was to get running.

To get the SVS integrated well, you'd need to use REW software and have your own mic and that's a whole other level of dedication/time.

Adding a sub without properly setting it up can result in boomy or one note bass which is why subs can get a bad reputation. FYI, I own an SVS sub and think they are fantastic but in your situation I would recommend the Elac.

7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Not familiar with the JBL sub, but I previously had a Velodyne sub before getting the SVS PB-12. The Velodyne was servo-controlled, supposedly to keep it from over-extending, but it did anyway.

The SVS is soooo much better there is no comparison.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

IMO proper integration is more important than the specific sub, but I would opt for a sealed unit.

Get something with auto eq or something you can eq with a microphone. Don't do it by ear, much better with measurements, you'll hear the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.