Subwoofer wiring... In or out of phase

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ian, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

I've been having a slight integration prob with my PDR 10 sub since I moved it into my apt. I've seen other more expensive subs that have a phase switch or knob. I was wondering would reversing one of the speaker cables to the sub make a diff? Or could that potentially damage the unit? Any ideas? Placement here is extremely limited.
    Thanks guys.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Try it and see. It won't hurt anything.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Agree with Steve, and to be more specific, changing the cabling won't hurt the sub (or the amp--assuming you don't cross wires while the amp is on...). If you have two sets of speaker cables (one for each channel) reverse both (relative to your main speakers).

John K.

4. What you are shooting for here is to have the sub in-phase with the main loudspeakers at the crossover region.

Its really a form of distance compensation. You would need to play a test tone at the crossover frequency, and see which polarity (or switch position or knob is you had one) produces the loudest sound, and in theory that would also provide the smoothest integration between the mains and the sub.

Of course, thats the theory. Your ears are what you need to use to make a final determination.

BGL

5. Ian

Reversing both cables: Bass seemed to slow down. Like the bass was lagging behind the rest of the band. Sub became very easy to localize.

Reversing one cable: Bass response dropped off a lot but on turning up the sub volume it seemed a touch smoother than before. Integrationwise... Not as bad as both cables out but not as good as original set up.

So I guess that solves that mystery.

Looks like my next speakers will be full range... Electrostats maybe.

Thanks for your help guys.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Ian, don't give up so easily. Integrating a sub is one of the biggest challenges I've faced in my HT, but the results are superb...

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Don't Be Phased By Your Problem!

I have a REL STADIUM subwoofer, I contacted the manufacturer about phasing (as there is no switch on mine either), they recommended to change the speakers cables at one end.

The track I use is Jeff Beck's 'Behind the Veil' it has thunderous synth bass, it should much better out of phase than in phase.

The difference should be 'very' obvious not subtle.

Best of luck!
    JG

8. Ian

I think I may try to play with placement... Space is at a premium but I think some rearranging and getting the sub out of the corner and into the center will help. Possibly switching places between my CD rack, system and sub. So well see. But I'll play with the hookups some more too.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This has been a very intersting conversation...thanks for bringing it up and good luck! Think I'll fiddle with my wiring now too...

10. James Glennon

VERY INTERESTING TOPIC THIS!

In the US corner placement is preferred and in Europe center placing is preferred.

I went along with the center placing, until I started reading about corner placement. I switched mine to the left-hand side of the system (not jammed into the corner but as near as is practical. I was absolutely delighted with the new placement and have been ever since.

By the way, my subwoofer has three setting controls, it starts at 30Hz and goes up to 120Hz.
    It has a volume control for level.
    JG

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The whole thing with "phase" is that the sub should move in and out at the same time that the other speakers in the system move in and out. An "in phase" sub will push air into the room (move out) at the same time that the other speakers are pushing air into the room. To set this up real easyily, all you need is a monophonic disc with plenty of bass. By using a mono disc, you are really sure that the signal from the source is identical, and then by reversing the wires you simply decide which configuration provided the loudest sound, i.e. the largest movement of air in the room. For this test I used the Ritchie Valens SACD mastered by Steve Hoffman, pure mono with a real bottom end.

12. James Glennon

I COULDN'T HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF! WELL DONE!
    JG

13. Ian

I decided to adjust speaker placement with my system. My Atoms now sit 40 inches from the front wall 34 1/2 inches from either side wall and 57 inches apart (no toe). This allowed me to move my sub 17 inches out of the corner so that it now sits almost directly behind the right speaker. 10 inches from rear port to front wall. Wiring in phase. Xover at 55 Hz. This has made a dramatic difference in the sound. The bass always felt like it was off to the side a bit. Now it feels much more centered and more integrated as well. I'm still going to play with the wiring to see if there would be any improvement over this.
    Needless to say that tweaking the speaker placement has caused the imaging and soundstaging to come into much better focus as well (Still not as good as electrostats but better than can be expected of a budget speaker).

Now I'm starting to think speaker cable upgrades and interconnects and... I think I'm turning into a tweaker.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.