Suede’s 8th album ‘The Blue Hour’ - out 21st September

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Intriguing…

2. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Cannot WAIT for this.

4. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

HMV in the UK have Blue Vinyl up for per order

5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Looks like it will be out in multiple editions, including a deluxe box set but no details yet on what's in it. At €74.99, I'll wait to see what they include before I order one. I'll also be curious to see what extra stuff might be in the Japanese edition too and may put a cancellable preorder in with HMV Japan. Last time, I missed out on the very limited 3 disc Japanese edition of Night Thoughts which is now very hard to find or absurdly expensive.

Suede - Official Webstore

mr_spenalzo likes this.
  6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Wow, the music in that trailer is really creepy. Can't wait to hear it. Although, it kinda bums me out when bands announce albums so far in advance. September seems very distant.

7. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

After the critical and commercial success of the top 10 album – ‘Night Thoughts’ (2016) Suede are set to release their stunning new album ‘The Blue Hour’ on the 21st September 2018.

The Blue Hour is the final part of the triptych of albums recorded by the band since they reformed and released 2013’s Bloodsports. Produced and mixed by Alan Moulder at Assault & Battery Studios the album sees Suede continue to explore new ground sonically. It features a choir and spoken word, as well as string arrangements from Craig Armstrong and the band’s own Neil Codling.

The Blue Hour was produced by Alan Moulder and Suede; it shares the same line-up as 1996’s Coming Up – vocals by Brett Anderson, guitars by Richard Oakes, bass by Mat Osman, drums by Simon Gilbert, synthesizers and piano by Neil Codling.

The Blue Hour box set contents will be announced in full at a later date. Stay tuned for details.

Tracklisting:

1. As One
    2. Wastelands
    3. Mistress
    4. Beyond the Outskirts
    5. Chalk Circles
    6. Cold Hands
    7. Life is Golden
    8. Roadkill
    9. Tides
    10. Don’t Be Afraid If Nobody Loves You
    11. Dead Bird
    12. All the Wild Places
    13. The Invisibles
    14. Flytipping

8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just finished "Coal Black Mornings" so this is excellent news. Not pre-ordering anything just yet, I'll wait for more details. I mean.. I will get this album. Just unsure in which form.

DrBeatle and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

From Mat Osman's twitter a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

To say my expectations are high after that and now this trailer would be an understatement.

MagneticNorthpaw and DrBeatle like this.
  11. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

and it will be loud and brickwalled to death..:edthumbs:

12. PretzelLogic

Is the implication here that it's going to be their final album? I don't see any common thematic thread between Bloodsports and Night Thoughts (different concepts/producers/sonics) so not sure how this new one will continue something so vague unless it's intended for them to bow out...

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. PretzelLogic

On a less essential theme, I really wish Neil Codling would get a haircut.

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

No. Rather an end of one artistic cycle.

15. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Weren't both produced by Ed Buller?
    The albums indeed sound quite different, though I could easily picture something like "What Are You Not Telling Me" on Night Thoughts, or "Like Kids" on Bloodsports..

16. PretzelLogic

You're right. I had it in my head that Night Thoughts was produced by someone else like Phil Vinall for some reason.

DrBeatle likes this.
  17. DrBeatle

I still, like you, fail to see any thematic similarity between Bloodsports and Night Thoughts. :shrug:

18. Neonbeam

Maybe it's all about colours, colours of bruises: Black, red and now blue! :evil:

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. DrBeatle

That's actually fairly plausible! :shh::righton:

20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Night Thoughts was my first Suede album and was probably my most played album of 2016 so I'm really looking forward to this one.

21. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Exactly... there has never been any talk about any thematic unity between Bloodsports, Night Thoughts and any future album when either of those albums came out in recent years... so this is clearly some kind of retroactive logic being inputted here by the media.

I hope this isn't the group's final album... they've done nothing but talk about treating the band with a great amount of respect since reforming in 2010.

I'm a huge Suede fan but think both Bloodsports and Night Thoughts were kinda 'meh' albums and both are definitely my least favorite Suede albums after A New Morning. Hopefully The Blue Hour will be stronger than those two releases.

DirkM, DrBeatle and RnRmf like this.
  22. Neonbeam

The European tour is rather short - understandably since Brett has a kid - and starts in Berlin. At Columbiahalle. Which will be seated?! What's going on? Just bought tickets anyway. Even though I wish they would have chosen one of Berlin's older, more lavish venues. If they indeed play to a seated crowd.

23. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

They're playing a fully seated theatre in Dublin too, capacity 2,100.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

Hmmm...this seems interesting/strange. Curious to see what the stage presentation is like.

25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I'm expecting a full rendition of the new album in the first half, followed by selections from their back catalogue in the second. I don't suspect it'll be a full scale "theatrical" presentation, but if the album has spoken word and choral sections, who knows?

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.