Suggest warm mm cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Firehead, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Im new to this site and to vinyl collecting. I started collecting one year ago. I have an entry level tt by uturn orbit, one day i hope to have a vpi. The cart on my table is the Grado black. I think it sounds good but i want to upgrade, like i said i have had this table for one year now. My amp is the Onkyo A-9010 and my speakers are also by onkyo. I got the skf-4800. I started off with the Rolls vp29 and some old Creative labs computer speakers. Id say my sytem is coming along now. I am looking for a mm cartridge that produces warm detailed sound with nice tight punchy bass. I mostly listen to rock music but am starting to venture into jazz. I listen to loads of Grateful dead, Leonard Cohen, Cocteau Twins, alternative music. Yes, i do have a budget. I would like to remain within $200. I hope to hear from you guys and your suggestions.

2. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Ortofon 2M Red
    Ortofon OM DJ S
    Shure M97xe
    Stanton/Pickering cartridges

SandAndGlass and McLover like this.
  3. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

I think these old cartrgs , with their compliance
    • Shure 95 ED 30 good for light arm
    • Shure 97 XE 25 good for light arm
    • Stanton 681 EE 22
    • Shure 75 ED 20

Mr.Sneis and Shak Cohen like this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

5. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Grado wood body Reference Platinum. $350 I know its more than your budget but you wont be sorry.

6. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Nagaoka MP110

gakerty and rocknsoul74 like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

8. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Budget MM manufacturer 'house signatures' based on my experience:

Shure, Nagaoka & Goldring - warmer, which can sometimes be less 'exciting' on initial listen.
    Ortofon & Audio Technica - more neutral sounding with a tendency toward brightness if not set up accurately.

All are generalisations of course, higher end cartridges with more exotic stylus shapes have cleaner, deeper bass & sweeter treble.

9. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident

Audio Technica AT 7V. It needs a medium weight arm. A bit of an outlier for AT, a little warmer, silkier.

MadCajun likes this.
  10. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I'd caution that Stanton moving iron cartridges are "warm-ish" (eg. Stanton 681EEE). If one grabs a Stanton moving magnet cartridge (eg. 881S or 890 series), I don't think one would find them "warm", rather detailed, in a good way; but, not "warm". IIRC Pickering has equivalents to it's Stanton brethren.

McLover and The Seeker like this.
  11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Next up:

World peace.

13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Nagaoka MP110 or MP200 for better resolution.....The 110 is a bit warmer, both track like a panther in the night.

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

What a fabulous turn of phrase. Absolute love it :righton:

15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

16. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You might want to consider something like a Goldring 1012GX or the 1042GX. A little too cosy for my tastes but I prefer a slightly clearer sound.

shutdown66 likes this.
  18. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Never heard a warm Ortofon moving magnet cartridge. Stanton made a couple warm cartridges. So did Pickering. The majority of them were neutral or bright. Shure M97xE, yes. Warm cartridge.

AnalogVinyl, Paul K and The FRiNgE like this.
  19. The Seeker

These are not warm cartridges. They have up-tilted highs.

20. The Seeker

Also not a warm cartridge.

21. The Seeker

Shure M75ED Type 2 approaches warm. M97xE is fairly warm. M95ED, not at all. Same with Stanton 681 EE.

shutdown66 and The FRiNgE like this.
  22. The Seeker

23. The Seeker

A few common modern cartridges in your price range that are warm and/or warmish:
    Shure M97xE (try w/ N35X stylus)
    Shure SC35C w/ N35X stylus
    Sumiko Pearl/Black Pearl
    Pickering 625 DJ

A few common vintage cartridges in your price range that are warm or warmish:
    Pickering V15 (original beige or sky blue body)
    Shure M7D (early version with flat pins)
    Empire EXL 20 (with conical stylus)
    Shure M44 (original white body version) w/ N44G stylus

The darkest/fullest/richest/boldest/warmest sounding cartridge ever made was the Stanton 380/Pickering U38. The downside is that they don't track very well, but I'm very picky about that. Many people are extremely happy with this cartridge. It will also accept Pickering V15 styli. It looks a little funny, but they do work, make the sound even smoother, and tracking improves.

There may be truly warm sounding cartridges I don't yet know about. I'm always on the hunt.

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My vote goes for keeping your current cart, which you seem to be enjoying, and leave the cart upgrade for when you upgrade your TT. But if you HAVE to, and in spite I personally hate ¨warm¨carts :

Shure M97xe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.