Suggestion for good 3 to 5 channels amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bid and won a McIntosh MC7106 5 channels amp a few weeks ago. I liked it, but 2 channels were not working right and I returned it to seller. Now I am back to my search again.

Due to my not so good experience with 25+ year old amp, I am thinking about getting amp that is 10 year old or newer.

I am thinking about getting Emotiva XPA Gen 3 as of now. May be something used from Parasound.

Budget is around 2K. Any other suggestions for good multichannel amp?

Thanks!

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

You could get something from Sunfire or Rotel and spend a lot less. Parasound makes great amps.

Manimal, Erik Tracy and pdxway like this.
  3. pdxway

Thanks! Yeah, I see quite a few of those Rotel in eBay. Will include Sunfire in my search too.

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Parasound would be a good option.

You might also be able to find one of Cary's older 5 channel amps in that price range.

pdxway likes this.
  5. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Look for a Linn Chakra series amps. Used should be right in your price range. I own a 5100 which is 5 channel and bought it used for $1500 a few months ago.

pdxway likes this.
  6. pdxway

Thanks GoldPrintAudio and minte4! Will add Cary and Linn to my search list.

7. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I have been more than happy with my XPA-5. And for fewer $$ than many used units with bigger names. Plus you get a good warranty and a solid trial period.

pdxway likes this.
  8. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

I have been using a Parasound 2205 for 18 years. About 10 years ago, I needed to get it repaired . Although the warranty had expired, I shipped it back to Parasound, because they are only a few hours away. They diagnosed and fixed the problem in about 5 days without charging me anything.

gd0 and pdxway like this.
  9. pdxway

Yeah, it is likely that I will go that way first. My wife wants me to get something with warranty.
    : )
    Thanks!

jmrife likes this.
  10. pdxway

Wow, that is good service. The thing I don't really like about Emotiva is that they seem to not able to offer repair for their older stuff. For example, my two Emotiva subs' amp stop working just before the warranty expired. They said there is no amp to replace anymore and offer me ~$10 to keep my dead weight. : (

11. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I am the same. I'm more than happy with my XPA 2 and my XPA 3.

pdxway likes this.
  12. pdxway

Interesting, I see that you are using Pioneer as preamp? I am using Pioneer SC-95. Will use it as preamp. Thanks for your input!

13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

You might want to add B&K to the list, there might be some deals to fit your budget.

F1nut and pdxway like this.
  14. pdxway

Thanks! Will do so.

15. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Ya I'm using the XPA 2 for my fronts and the XPA 3 for center and front surrounds then SC 35 powers my rear surrounds.

pdxway likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You get what you pay for. Buy good McIntosh once, enjoy it many years. Emotiva is not to that grade. McIntosh is supported even 25 years old amplifier wise.

pdxway likes this.
  17. pdxway

Would love to get good multichannel McIntosh amp. Don't think there is any less than 10 years old multichannel amp within my budget, even if I increase my budget to $3K. : (

18. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I don't disagree, but the OP said he wanted a quality 5 channel amp with good power for around two grand. And then stated his wife wanted something with a warranty. That pretty much leaves McIntosh off the table and out of the rack.

I think some research will prove to you that the Emotiva is very, very good. Not everyone (including me!) can afford the Mc.

The fact that I can't afford "the best" does not mean I am not happy with "the very, very good".

Kristofa, drgn95 and pdxway like this.
  19. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

A gently used Anthem MCA 30 or MCA 50 could be very good. They are built like tanks and quite powerful. I have had a two channel version in my theatre set-up for eons with no issues.

McLover, 4thChoice and pdxway like this.
  20. pdxway

Yes, will pay attention to Anthem too. Thanks!

Diskhound likes this.
  21. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Second the Anthem line of products. Yes, I am a little biased but after trying several other amps am VERY happy w/ my MCA-5 (predecessor to MCA-50), bought 2 years ago @ around 15 yo then). Emotiva very close second. With amps, I would not be as concerned w/age as with other components.

pdxway likes this.
  22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

pdxway likes this.
  23. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I recently purchased a new preamp and used amp from Frank Van Alstine and have been very pleased. There is a used 120WPC 3 channel amp on his site for less than $1K. Plain Jane appearance, however each unit is hand built by one person and tested by Frank.

Done A Ton and pdxway like this.
  24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My favorite is the Audio Refinement Multi 3 or Multi 5. They are designed by Yve Bernard Andre, and Audio Refinement is considered the YBA "budget line."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pdxway likes this.
  25. pdxway

Wow, more choices. Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.