Suggestions for cheap audio rack for heavy components

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

My father-in-law is looking for recommendations for cheap solid audio racks. His amp weighs over 70 pounds so no glass ones, please!

Below $200 would be best.

2. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

The most affordable and ubiquitous rack system has to be the Salamander Archetype. I think the black version 2 and 3 shelf both come in under $200. But man are they fiddly. I never was able to get mine to completely stop torquing out of shape. Others may have advice on making them work right. How many shelves does he need? The entry-level Solidsteel stuff is nice, if a bit over the $200 limit. Those are the ones with which I have experience.

Faceman and mike catucci like this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The Pangea racks from Audio Advisor look nice for the money, but are only rated for 72 pounds per shelf, and 220 pounds total for the rack.

Pangea Audio Vulcan Four Shelf Audio Rack-Audio Advisor

I wonder if your FIL might be better off putting the amp on a dedicated amp stand, and put the rest of the gear into a rack?

4. Strat-Mangler

The idea was to have a single vertical rack to save room. His heavy amp is what's making this a little harder to accomplish. After looking it up, I can confirm the amp weighs 78 pounds.

Too bad because at $99, that's be a terrific price for an audio rack. We're 6 pounds over the limit. :(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    33na3rd likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Possibly not meeting your spec but a 2-place IKEA Besta would support the amp on the top or bottom shelf (definitely not the shelves in-between!) . I have a 3-place Besta and it is extremely sturdy and supports my ~ 60lb amp no problem. The top shelf is 1" thick and with the glass plate 1-1/2" thick. The bottom shelf can rest nearly on the floor- use the small circular mounting pads, not the feet. You can reinforce the bottom with additional pads in the center of the shelf to make direct contact with the floor.

6. Strat-Mangler

Found this which appears to be the very best deal going at $287 ;

4-Shelf Audio Rack

Each shelf can hold up to 200 pounds.

Ponzio and Al Kuenster like this.
  7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have one of those (extra rack) and the weight limit is exaggerated. They warp with a lot less weight.

8. Art K

9. Art K

[​IMG]
    I have the one shown here as a second rack and it's nice and solid. Also under $200.

Al Kuenster and Manimal like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Even something around 80 pounds???

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I have a three tier glass that supports my 70lb Pioneer just fine on bottom shelf ( lowest is widest). I’m gonna build a flexi rack as soon as it cools down a little.

12. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I purchased the Salamander Archetype 4.0 which is a 4 shelf system several years ago and have no desire to replace it. If you get the black, the price is right around what you want to spend. They also make a 3 and 5 rack version.

Shawn likes this.
  13. Art K

Yes, and less.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

What about using cinder blocks with timber for the shelf? That would cost very little. You can stack them and make multi tier versions that look industrial chic. Just place felt pads under the block so they don't scratch the floor.
    Too homemade?

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Ditto that.

I use a Besta to hold my SX-1250 which is the size of Texas. That and a bunch of other components too. They fit perfectly and I have casters on the bottom to move it around. As the Expedit/Kallax is to vinyl, the Best should be to audio components.

slowhand1964 likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought the Pangea Vulcan rack and there is no problem with the bottom shelf holding a Boston Acoustics A7200 amp. The A7200 is a clone of the Sherwood Newcastle A-965 and weighs about 70lbs. The Vulcan rack is a bargain at $99, well built and easy to put together.

33na3rd likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

I wouldn't go with the Salamander. I'll be replacing mine in the near future. It's shelves can hold the weight but will bow, depending on the width of the item. The top shelf bows a little just under the weight of my turntable (~ 40lbs).

As Subagent mentioned, they're difficult to assemble while keeping the shelves aligned. They're just a PITA to assemble as a whole, but I suppose the trick may be to use two people. I've yet to get the rack to a point where it feels completely stable -- maybe impossible due to the rubber washers.

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I'd almost want to consider a dedicated amp stand that is only one shelf and sits close to the floor. Maybe that would work space wise somehow next to/in front of the taller rack. But it may not be feasible if you really want to save that space. Otherwise, the Sanus looks like a possibility.

Target was always my go to if I wanted an affordable stand, but not sure if they are still around though.

19. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Are you or your father-in-law handy with tools? A "Flexy Rack" is easy enough to make. It only takes a sheet of Baltic birch plywood (or similar), and some threaded rods and nuts. Cut and drill, then finish to your liking. I'm sure it would be within budget.

[​IMG]

20. timind

timind phorum rezident

I don't remember the brand name, but a while ago AudioAdvisor was selling racks similar to that one as a special closeout. I bought one in black and am happy with it. I had a Proceed BPA2 (60 lbs) on one of the shelves for a while with no problem at all. I will say though, the BPA2 is very large so the weight was distributed near the edges.

If the amp in question is large and has the feet near the support pieces, it'll probably be fine.

21. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

SonOFJames and Bill Mac like this.
  22. Art K

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Monoprice rack looks very similar in build to the Pangea Vulcan rack. Excellent deal. Just different shaped shelves.
    I have an older Sanus rack with glass shelves and it's well built. Sanus makes excellent products at fair prices. Was never a fan of Salamander racks and stands. Always thought the quality was marginal and the cost is way too high IMO.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How much does your father-in-law's amp weigh exactly? In the first post you stated that it weighs over 70lbs. Which amp is it? If the amp weighs 75lbs. then a rack that's rated for that weight or close to it would be fine IMO.

Bananas&blow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.