Suggestions for inexpensive phono preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mfidelity, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Did you find one? What did you decide?

2. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

No not yet. As we PMd about I'm looking at other options too.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I am using one of those old Realistic phono pre-amps. Realistic 42-2109. I am using it with an old 1200 MK2 and driven by a Jolida tube amp. Sounds pretty good.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For $49, new, the Art DJ Pre II gets nice reviews, even on this forum, for the price. (I have not heard it, though.)

- $49
    - it doesn't suck
    - easy to resell

One example sales listing with good pictures and user reviews:
    ART DJ PRE II

5. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Look at specs over subjective recommendations - it's a better frame of reference as a starting point anyways, and they'll give you most of what you need to know. In short, you want good RIAA characteristics across the spectrum, say +/- 0.25db, good overload margins, say greater than 20db across the spectrum, low noise and distortion characteristics. Rumble filters can be useful too. All this can be had within your price range. Capacitance can be more or less important depending on the cart - consider manufacturer recommendations.

6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I got my Lounge used for $200. Very happy with it.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

Cool!!! :cool: Congrats! That's a great price for for a great piece of gear.... still one of the best deals in audio today IMHO.

Now, at that price, if you DIDN'T get the Silver upgrade..... :) which is the second best deal in audio... :D

Then, I am assuming you don't already have it, and it was part of the $200 package?

Also, is it a Mk1, Mk2 or MK3?? If it's a Mk1, then definitely plan on sending it into Roberto for the Silver and other mods - he has come such a long way since the Mk1 that he will make what you like into something you'll cherish.

8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

MkIII

9. TheVinylAddict

You thinking silver, or content?

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Content

11. TheVinylAddict

You're a rare breed.

I like your style. :cheers:

12. Louder666

Louder666 Active Member

My first outboard phono pre was the Hagtech Bugle 2, moving from the onboard in my pre amp. Was a huge step up, and for the $200 (at the time) it sounded superior to anything I heard at my local hifi shop, this included pre's up to $1000. I'm willing to bet you could find one used for very little money. I still have mine, the only downside to the Bugle 2 was to switch between MM/MC you needed to change out resistor values, so you needed to be handy with a soldering iron. The Bugle 3 has internal switches now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.