Suggestions for RCA and XLR cables with a bit more HF 'sparkle'?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gi54, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident Thread Starter

.....but non fatiguing & also relatively inexpensive please. Do they exist? Thanks.

2. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

You do not list your equipment so it is impossible to say, let alone to advise you!

timind likes this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

4. Gi54

Is it not viewable on my personal info? I can see it there.

5. Steve Hoffman Music Forums - Error
    This member limits who may view their full profile.

6. Gi54

Thanks for checking - have updated Privacy settings so hopefully info now available.

7. Your profile is now visible :)

Gi54 likes this.
  8. MGW

Great, now we can see what kit you have. :agree:
    As @harby suggests, I think this is more about system synergy than tuning as such.
    You seem to be using mainly Kimber cable. I had Kimber interconnects (and Audioquest speaker cable by coincidence) many years ago. I found that it seemed to be just a little bit lifeless, and simply not very musical in my system. This included a Copland integrated with a not too dissimilar lineage to your Primare.
    The addition of Nordost cables that are, simply, neutral solved all of these issues giving better rendition across the frequency band as well as quieter backgrounds and a wider, higher, and deeper soundstage.
    While my system has changed quite radically since then Nordost cables have continued to give great joy. In fact, I have moved a couple of steps up the Nordost ladder and each step gives quite a bit more of everything desirable. Each time I have tried some of the other options but keep coming back to the Nordost option.
    I am currently in the process of adding some Heimdall 2 cables in place of Red Dawn analogue interconnects and a Blue Heaven digital cable. No doubt these will be moved on once I return from a short holiday.
    As with all cables, I would advise try-before-you-buy and second-hand purchase - carefully either from a dealer or at least from a seller who has the original boxes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  9. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

10. Blue Devil

Blue Devil Forum Resident

"Relatively inexpensive" isn't usually a phrase seen in close juxtaposition with the name Nordost.

Stone Turntable and Satrus like this.
  11. MGW

Used, the cables can provide exceptional value and Nordost interconnects start (new) at around £180 for the entry-level White Lightning. In that sort of area is where I would expect the OP to get the best value, especially if they were to go used where the fourth tier Red Dawn interconnects can run at about the same price as new White Lightning.
    Incidentally, your speaker cables (Zu Audio Libtec) run at about the same cost as Nordost Red Dawn, so I think that to suggest that Nordost does not provide good value is somewhat disingenuous.
    Relatively inexpensive is, of course, a relative term, and the OP was far from specific.
    Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  12. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

UK based, non-fatiguing & relatively inexpensive:
    www.markgrantcables.co.uk

Also, consider Atlas Cables (Scottish company). They have cables ranging from not-exorbitant to, well, VERY expensive.

My personal preference is for Mark Grant's RCA interconnects (HDX1s in my system with no plans to change anytime soon). Until changing my system earlier this year, I was using MG's Canare-based XLRs and found them to be more than decent - they're currently spare.

13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You've got some nice entry level Kimber stuff. Moving up to 4tc or 8tc speaker cable and maybe the Hero IC's? Not exactly cheap to do but not crazy expensive either.

timind likes this.
  14. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I've had good luck in the "brightening" regard with IC's made with silver plated copper strands. I diy, so cannot tell you a completed item to buy, sorry.

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

A second for Nordost. Not just recommended by me, but by one of the greatest mastering engineers to ever post here.

WhatDoIKnow and MGW like this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Nordost blue heaven, get from upscale audio and ask for 20% discount.
    Less expensive but still excellent for what you are after van den hul integration hybrid from the cable co.
    Both they and the Nordost are hybrid cables meaning silver plated copper, my favorite sounding interconnets. They extend both ends of the spectrum

MGW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.