Suggestions for someone trying to be a Roy Orbison completist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toptentwist, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I had it for a short time on CD.
    Is there a mono singles collection out there on vinyl for RO?

Darryl

2. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

I'm not an expert of the vinyl reissues, I found them useless, sorry. :winkgrin:

3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Yes, those were samples of Roy given to Ringo by his widow to use with her permission. You'd really have to be a completist to include these tracks. ;-)

Hep Alien and Pete Puma like this.
  4. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

You are correct regarding 'King Of Hearts'. An expanded version is being prepared for release. I understand that it was scheduled for Summer release but will probably be delayed due to the success of the Roy Orbison with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album and the Hologram Tour which commences next month in the UK and later this year in North America.

Hep Alien and George C. like this.
  5. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Two great Roy Orbison LPs today (that I reconstructed using the best CD sources we have yet).

His first LP (1961), featuring pretty rare dubbed versions of his first recordings, and then a famous genuine compilation from 1972.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CDs used for those reconstructions:

- Roy Orbison Mono and Unprocessed Volume 1: Original Releases 1956-62 (2014, Inverse Label)

- The Soul of Rock and Roll (2008, Sony BMG)

6. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

I finally took my courage at two hans, and compiled these "rare" songs (rare is always relative).

Anyway, it's good to hear these songs together. I'm pretty proud of my new transfer of Life Fades Away from the DVD, as this time I figured how to remove the background sound from the beginning of the song!!!

If you have the material, try this!

01 Just One Time (1966)
    02 When I Stop Dreaming (Nashville studio version) (1969)
    03 I Got Nothing (1969)
    04 Zigzag (1970)
    05 Precious (1970)
    06 That Lovin' you Feelin' Again (Solo version) (1980)
    07 Leah (with Bertie Higgins) (1983)
    08 Indian Summer (with Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers) (1985)
    09 Life Fades Away (movie version) (1987)
    10 Handle With Care (extended version) (1988)
    11 End of the Line (extended version) (1988)
    12 Not Alone Anymore (alt, remix) (1987/2007)
    13 (All I Can Do Is) Dream You (single Mix) (1988)
    14 You May Fell Me Crying (1988/1997)
    15 Tired Old Country Song (1976)
    16 Wings of Glory (1976)
    17 Mother (1976)
    18 Boogie Baby (1976)
    19 Drifting Away (1977)
    20 Bridge Over Troubled Waters (with Raul Malo, unreleased) (1998)
    21 The Way is Love (2014)

Pete Puma and Hep Alien like this.
  7. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Great compilation - are the tracks with no notes the original mixes from the Edsel sets?

Here are a few additional tracks that a person could throw on a 'Rare Roy' compilation that I added to my own set:

Help (Live at the BBC)
    In Dreams (1985 Version)
    (All I Can Do Is) Dream You (Promo CD Single with Intro - MoFi)
    Blue Bayou (California Blue CD Single - Live)
    Leah (California Blue CD Single - Live)
    In Dreams (California Blue CD Single - Live)
    I Drove All Night (with Ward Thomas - Radio Edit)
    Oh, Pretty Woman (Black & White Night - Single Edit)
    Dream Baby (She's a Mystery To Me CD Single - Live)
    Blue Angel (Blu Ray Bonus Track - Robert Ludwig Master)
    Oh, Pretty Woman (Black & White Night 30 - Alternate Short Version)
    (All I Can Do Is) Dream You (Black & White Night 30 Lossless Blu Ray Audio - Secret Post Show)
    Comedians (Black & White Night 30 Lossless Blu Ray Audio - Secret Post Show)
    Candy Man (Black & White Night 30 Lossless Blu Ray Audio - Secret Post Show)
    Claudette (Black & White Night 30 Lossless Blu Ray Audio - Secret Post Show)
    Uptown (Black & White Night 30 Lossless Blu Ray Audio - Secret Post Show)
    Ooby Dooby (The Very Best of RO - Medley of '55 and '85 Versions)
    Crying (Wild Hearts Vinyl Single - Live)
    Wild Hearts (...Voiceless)

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Please feel free to consult my catalog to find the best sources for all this material:

Roy Orbison Songs Catalog

In Dreams (1985 Version)... yes... but I never heard a good clean version of it yet.

There are also all thoses songs from the famous "Collectors Edition LP"... but then again, I never had the chance to digitally restore a good clean copy of it.

And mercy, remove all the "edits" from you list, as Ooby Dooby and the short version of Pretty Woman Live... That's not rare, that's as tasteless as useless.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean by 'clean version', but you can find excellent sounding versions on CD on the following discs (with links if they exist):

The All-Time Greatest Hits
    1986 (Silver Eagle) SED 1046

Roy Orbison - All-Time Greatest Hits

The Very Best of Roy Orbison
    1986 (Arcade) ADEHCD 831

Greatest Hits - Special Tribute Collection
    1989 (Silver Eagle / Half) SED 1046A

Roy Orbison - All-Time Greatest Hits

The peak levels on all three discs above vary slightly, but all the masters are fine. To my ears, the 1987 masters on Virgin sound pretty similar to the various Silver Eagle releases that were offered in numerous variations prior to the Virgin reissue of the material. This 1985 version of "In Dreams" sonically fits right in with the Virgin releases. Virgin didn't alter much at all when they issued these recordings in their name (which is a good thing, imo).

In addition, I have about five different releases, from different countries, of this material - pre Virgin -- on vinyl and they all sound fine to my ears. Silver Eagle really worked these recordings hard prior to handing them over to Virgin.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Thanks for this thread. Roy was an incredible artist.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Can someone give me more informations about those Silver Eagle Records CDs?

12. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Can someone clear up the four cd The Legendary Roy Orbison mastered by Ken Robertson? Read somewhere here on the forum that is noise reduction was used. I swear I hear hiss. Perhaps EQ in mastering minimized it. Found the current Soul of Rock and Roll box a bit compressed and forward sounding. Packaging is terrible. Returned it for scratched discs until Best Buy depleted their stock. This box set has good dynamics.

Thank you

13. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

What is the best comp for the originals? Both LPs I have, the In Dreams comp and The Great Roy Orbison: All-Time Greatest Hits, were re-recorded circa 1986.

Prefer vinyl but content with a good sounding, well mastered CD if that is the most accessible/least prohibitively expensive option.

14. btomarra

The Essential Roy Orbison US has re-recordings of Running Scared and In Dreams. The U.K. pressing has more tracks (Crying with K.D. Lang) and replaces Running Scared remake with the original.

There is this: [​IMG]

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Is 'The Original Sound' just a reissue of 'At The Rock House', less one song or are there unique takes, mixes, versions, etc. on it? I have the 2014 RSD 'At The Rock House' LP and was thinking of picking up the B&N reissue.
    [​IMG]

16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Way back in 2013, the Orbison website announced that they'd be releasing "four studio albums that were never released. "

I know that we received the excellent, previously unreleased One of the Lonely Ones (1969/2015) that every Roy fan should own, but what happened to the other three? Is the album-that-could've/should've-been Oh, Pretty Woman (2013) that came with the Monument vinyl collection considered one of the 4 albums? If so, then there's still at least 2 more. Were sales not good enough for One of the Lonely Ones? Or did I miss anything?

17. btomarra

Still cannot get confirmation. Asked this several times on a number of threads…

Can someone clear up the four cd The Legendary Roy Orbison mastered by Ken Robertson? Read somewhere here on the forum that noise reduction was used. I swear I hear hiss. Perhaps EQ in mastering minimized it. Found the current Soul of Rock and Roll box a bit compressed and forward sounding. Packaging is terrible. Returned it for scratched discs until Best Buy depleted their stock. This box set has good dynamics.

Thank you

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Do you have the Black and White Night, a live gig with an all-star backing band?

How about The Traveling Wilburys, v.1?

19. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.