Suggestions for the Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Yep. It wasn’t so great though was it? Had it’s moments.

2. The only reason it wasn’t held in as high esteem was because of how great Chinatown was.

Kubricker likes this.
  3. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Three points...

1) The Two Jakes is not Chinatown.

2) The Two Jakes dovetails well with Chinatown, with due consideration for the cultural changes over the intervening years and due consideration for the life progression of Jake Gittes.

3) The Two Jakes is a dark movie, written with great care...and it is a very, very good movie.

wayneklein and rockerreds like this.
  4. Phase IV

Saul Bass' only feature length film as director. Criterion could license the alternate ending version and present both as seamlessly branching for the film. A commentary and documentary focusing on the post-production tug of war with Fox, the recut, Bass' intention, interviews with Mayo Simon, a presentation of the original script as a an interactive feature, one of the shorts out there on Bass' career as a title designer, etc. and this would be a great presentation for a minor cult classic that deserved far better than it got. Oh, and the theatrical trailer which had some footage cut from the original film.

5. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace.

finslaw likes this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've watched carefully several times. Read the screenplay a few times too. As much as I've wanted to like it, it just doesn't work, imo. The plot is somewhat confusing and Nicholson isn't an attentive enough director to clarify some of the confusion. Everything is given equal weight. And the acting ranges from stilted (Perry Lopez) to annoying (Madeline Stowe). I commend Nicholson for stepping in to rescue a sinking project, but it needed a better director. A more ruthless director.

That said, the production design is evocative, and the ending is poignant.

Kubricker likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would suggest Fricke's Samsara (subtitle: Holy CRAP That's Gorgeous / Eww Gross, Let Me Outta Here), but I'm not sure Criterion could improve upon its' flawed messaging by making the images incrementally even crisper. Slip Baraka and Chronos into the box, and you've sure got a challenger to Reggio's -Quatsi trilogy.

apesfan likes this.
  8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Yes!The curent version looks great but it's unforgivable they did not include at least the original ending.

9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I would love a Criterion version(or any) of The fantastic animation festival.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

With you on this....I really wanted to like this too and just couldn't get into it. Rare that I don't like a Jack movie but I don't know, maybe I was expecting too much of a sequel. Interesting someone here said it wasn't supposed to be...I thought it was but I guess I was mistaken. Was like the Rogue One movie...I guess I thought it was going to be something other than it was, and I didn't initially enjoy it. But when I watched it a second time at home when the DVD came out I loved it. Sometimes it's really our fault for having inaccurate expectations; in that case it's good to try and watch again down the line. I should try to do that with Two Jakes.

Kubricker likes this.
  11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

King Kong

please

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I don't see that one. It's even on UHD-BD at this point. It's not going to Criterion lane.

Hollywoodland has only been released in the U.K. on Wee-jun Bee locked disc. Universal doesn't seem to think much of it. It, they might hand over to Criterion...???

14. Kubricker

15. Time Is On My Side

The current discs are crap. All the film grain removed, DNR'd to death. This is one that would benefit greatly from Criterion treatment.

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Lionsgate isn't gonna hand this film over to Criterion. What you say is true but studios seldom hand over titles that they can easily exploit. This one is one of the least likely Criterion titles ever.

17. Kubricker

Some others while glancing at my old dvd copies:

Blue Velvet (!)
    The Dead Zone - always loved the wintry feel that permeates this movie.
    Miller’s Crossing
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
    Sunset Boulevard
    Man Of The West
    Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid

18. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Totally with you on this one, if ever a film needed updating in glorious color and sound, it`s `Stop Making Sense`.

[​IMG]

Leviethan likes this.
  19. Time Is On My Side

The Ghost and the Darkness
    -This one doesn't even have a US Blu-ray release, you have to get the German one

Star Trek - The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)
    -This one also does not even have a Blu-ray release

Goodfellas
    Robocop
    Gladiator
    The French Connection
    The Fifth Element
    Predator
    Top Gun

-All of these have a really poor transfer

Mission Impossible
    Last Action Hero

With Last Action Hero, the audio just sounded bad to me and it isn't even lossless, it has a 448kbps AC3 5.1 track?!? The same is probably true for a lot of other Blu-ray releases from Mill Creek.

I also found the Blu-ray of Goldeneye doesn't really look all that great. Does anyone know why this one just doesn't look that good or am I just imagining things again? All of the other Bond Blu-rays have looked good to me except that one specifically.

Speaking of Bond, what happened with Spectre? You watch the Blu-ray of Skyfall and it looks amazing but then Spectre and it's like the colors are just not as vibrant and dynamic. I thought I read somewhere that Skyfall was shot with an Arri Alexa and Spectre was shot on film, am I just seeing the differences between those two formats? Uggh where is Vidiot when you need him.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  20. Time Is On My Side

Lethal Weapon Director's Cut

21. Kubricker

The Searchers

Haven’t looked much at my WB copy but I’m sure there’s hordes of people clambering for a mono DTS-HD MA soundtrack!

22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

This. Period.

jlocke08 and Jerry Horne like this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Arrow did this a while back but there's an issue with the transfer.

As for Two Jakes, I think this is an Olive Films release at best.

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

AMEN!!

LeBon Bush likes this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome