Suggestions for the Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Delighted to learn that one of my favorite westerns, one of the finest westerns ever made, and a great example of Americana and the docudrama genre is getting the Criterion treatment on August 14:

[​IMG]

The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez

3. Cruising (1980) w/Al Pacino, Directed by William Friedkin.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder what Criterion could do with an all-animation series, based not on significance and popularity, but with more budgetary focus on which significant animated milestones need "saving" before they're forgotten, or lapse into irrelevancy.

Reader likes this.
  5. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I will probably be in the minority on this one, but one of my all-time favorite films is "Every Which Way But Loose" and I would love to see Criterion do a deluxe of this one. The old TV version added scenes, expanded/unedited musical performances and I would love to see all that ephemera collected in one place in pristine audio/video condition.

The movie, though mostly "light," has a great 70s-style ending and I think it's one of those movies that captures it's location and era perfectly; watching the movie, you are there.

"Citizen Kane" it ain't, but I still think it would warrant an evaluation, at least.

yesstiles likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I must check my Blu-ray at home. I thought it was Criteria collection???? Maybe it's just an anniversary release or something...

Good enough movie, but not something I can watch over and over again, like my BOND collection.

8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Definitely not Criterion, but yes a Universal Special Edition blu.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Correct. Just checked, and It's a Universal 100th anny special edition.

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Your odds of getting your wish are probably low. Clint has always sold well and the studio probably doesn't think they need to hand this one off to Criterion or anybody else.

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

We got Breakfast Club, so we need Fast Times to even the score

Al Kuenster likes this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

Criterion, Masters Of Cinema, Arrow ...... I'll take any of those !

[​IMG]

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

@tomhayes check this out:

True Stories

Notice that the Blu-Ray also will include a 23-track CD of all of the music from the soundtrack -- I interpret that to mean the first CD release of Sounds from True Stories???

[​IMG]

poe_man and MothMonsterMan like this.
  14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Sounds from True Stories was not the full soundtrack, maybe this will have all of the songs, like Goodman's People Like Us as an example. (That was the b-side to The Talking Head's Wild Wild Life.)

I'm in for the blu-ray.

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, you're right -- I should have been more clear in my post, but I was excited to share the news about this deluxe Criterion reissue. The "Sounds From" LP contains about 14 tracks, so that leaves around 9 more tracks for this "complete soundtrack" 23-track CD.

In addition to Goodman's People Like Us, perhaps tracks 11-12 from the DVD-Audio/DualDisc editions of Talking Heads True Stories will also be compiled in this complete soundtrack CD?

I'm also excited about the aspect ratio. If I remember correctly, my old VHS cassette was cropped to 4:3, but this Criterion edition will be 1.85:1. And wasn't the DVD edition also cropped? So is this the first edition of this movie to be released in the original aspect ratio since the theatrical release? Or was there some old Laserdisc version or something as an exception?

Craig.

16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The Region 4 DVD release was 1.85 too. That's why I spent $20 on it about 10 years ago. But it doesn't look GREAT, I am hoping this blu-ray does.

CraigVC likes this.
  17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would like Criterion to release their back catalog from the VHS & Laserdisc years & include every bit of the supplemental material. Bring it all to Blu-Ray.

18. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Reservoir Dogs. The current Blu-ray release is not very good.

19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

A film I have mentioned before, "A Bronx Tale", could benefit from a loving re-do by "C", as it has never had a decently high-quality release.
    One I wish they would (or could) put out as a stand-alone is "The Last Picture Show"; they have it as part of the box, but it deserves a solo outing as an important, powerful film. More people might finally get to see it.

20. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Totally agree about "The Last Picture Show". I consider it one of the greatest American movies of the 70s, ever really. "Easy Rider" and "Five Easy Pieces" both got seperate releases, so "TLPS" needs to as well

21. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

YES YES YES! this goes quite well next to the Criterion Something Wild.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Both so worthy of release - After Hours screams 'Criterion!' all over it as well :agree:

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Region B HMV Premium Collection dual-format release is always an option for you.

Claus LH likes this.
  24. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

A BIG second on the previous mention of Fitcarraldo
    one of my big choices is coming in November-Some Like It Hot-awesome
    Biggest omission currently is a BD of the Criterion LaserDisc release of The Great Escape-need this bad!
    The Field
    A Better Tomorrow
    Seven
    Glengarry Glen Ross
    The Fabulous Baker Boys
    Philadelphia
    The Sting
    The Hustler
    the original Nutty Professor
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    and my number one wish-Peter O'Toole at his finest-The Stunt Man

LeBon Bush likes this.
  25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That's pretty doubtful, but I could see maybe 'Night Of The Comet.'

And if they're gonna give us another Jennifer Jason Leigh movie (so far all they have is 'Short Cuts'), I'd be hoping for 'Georgia.'