Suicide Squad (DC)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by progrocker71, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I didn't, not one single one of them.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:cry:

alexpop likes this.
  3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I am guessing he does not care for the final product. But he likely got paid a truckload of money. And he has to know he didn't embarrass himself.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The movie's on cable now. I recorded it last week but haven't bothered watching it yet. I've got Abbott & Costello shows that I'd rather catch up on!;)

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I tried... I'll say this;
    It was better than "Superman V Batman"!

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'm not so sure but a close call.

7. Scopitone

Both films have their issues. But I watched B v S twice in the cinema (admittedly, the second viewing was a "theater hop"). I liked it enough that I bought it on Vudu when it came out, so I could have the extended edition. I have watched it once at home. Maybe twice.

I watched SS in the cinema once. Once it was out on video, I torrented a copy to see if I still didn't like it. I didn't like it pretty much the same as in the cinema.

(I didn't like GotG in the cinema but later fell in love with it on home viewing, so there's precedent for changing my mind.)

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Finally saw this. I agree with all the criticisms, although I liked it way more than B-v-S.
    I don't like where the DC movie universe is going these days in general though.

Margot Robbie is the shining star of this movie. She lights up every screen she graces.
    Will Smith is always likeable, even when his character is somewhat less.

I also watched Jupiter Ascending yesterday. So this must be my week for catching up with bad sci-fi/superhero movies *shrug*

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I caught an airing of this over the weekend and left wondering what they were trying to show us. I had hopes for this but it was strung together without cohesive character development. Without the character development or history there was no empathy from the viewer.
    The movie was just a mess of video game sparkle with some poor attempts at any emotion.

The experience actually sent me here to see if I had missed the point.

Agree with others about Margot Robbie. She was the only redeeming character, maybe because we saw her change from counseling the criminally insane to becoming one and embracing it. The rest of the characters, meh.

To be honest, when I saw that Will Smith was in this my first thought was, "oh no. :shake:" He was better than expected given the circumstances.

I've finally soured to the DC comics because of their failures but look forward to whatever next Marvel movie comes along.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Lack of character development in this movie is real to the point where it made me root for the Enchantress and Incubus. Honestly, the way it's written I don't know how anyone could do otherwise. Everyone involved with the "good guys" were simply awful to the bone.

I also have no idea how Harley Quinn, Boomerang, Slipknot, and even Deadshot can really hang in this crew of "meta humans," nor did I particularly care for the Joker , understanding that the Joker role is hard to pull off in this day and age with the previous performances from Ledger, Nicholson and Hamill - talk about big shoes to fill. Still, the tatted up thug Joker was a bit of a let down.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Finally got around to watching this last night......what can I say? I actually enjoyed this A LOT more than the last 2 Superman flicks! Of course, the bar was set pretty low, so low SS only had to step, not leap, over it! For me, a longtime comic book fan, any and all comic book movies are basically popcorn flicks. Some are much better than others but trying to find logic and/or philosophical content in movies featuring super powered people in costumes has never been my thing. When I see posts asking how or why something happens, when discussing characters that fly or stick to walls just seems silly to me. So it simply boils down to entertainment levels for me. Half of the squad was totally forgettable. I was totally prepared to hate Leto's Joker, but I didn't which surprised me. The dynamic between him and HQ was one of the best things in the flick. And HQ was the best thing in the movie. I could watch Margot Robbie walk away from me in hotpants all night long!;)

12. Scopitone

I do agree with @Bobby Boogaloo comment about the normals not being able to hand with the metas.

Just because Harley is crazy doesn't mean she can fight as well as River Tam or Daredevil or something.

13. Bobby Buckshot

I get what you're saying and am mostly in the same boat, but I need some continuity and SS lacked that. I can sacrifice plenty of logic for some basic levels of continuity.

For instance, HQ transforms into her criminal self with help from the Joker, OK. But all of a sudden she's bashing mutant soldiers with a bat and using fight moves like she came out of UFC. How, why, what? Was that vat of chemicals filled with super-juice? She was a doctor before, not a hardened fighter; and since she's in the same universe as Batman - someone who had to train for years before taking it to the streets - there's a lack of continuity that makes me roll my eyes and takes away from the entertainment factor. It would make more sense to me if her character wasn't using a weapon of brute force and instead used stealth and blade/projectile weapons. The way she's depicted in this movie she could go toe to toe with Wonder Woman and come out fine.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I would presume it's the same way her character could hold her own in the animated series.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Asking how or why when talking comic book 'reality' is a slippery slope. Snipers are totally capable of kills from a mile away in reality. Deadshot should be Batman's #1 problem. Everyone knows about the fukakta bat-signal. Deadshot can easily take out Batman, Robin, and the commissioner any time they use the signal!;) How's about someone explaining exactly what powers/abilities The Joker has that make him so formidable? He's a great character but let's face it, he should be one of the easiest bad guys to deal with. How do glasses completely fool trained reporters? How does a rich guy with 4 'sons' never get linked to a Batman with 4 Robins, especially from a trained police officer? HQ's fighting ability? If DC felt like it, they could throw out a one-sentence explanation along the lines of; "prior to becoming a shrink, she was in the milatary". And that would be that. Like I said, it's a slippery slope!;)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

I haven't watched those in quite some time. Refresh my memory, was she mowing down folks like she was in this movie?

17. Bobby Buckshot

My point almost exactly. I can let go of logic in the many examples you mention, but like a little consistency when it comes to continuity; otherwise I get bored. Consensus on this SS movie is that it's a clunker, and I think these bits mattered to many who watched.

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I'd watch this just for the hot girl

Kyhl likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

If you guys can't get enough of Harley, there is a cosplayer from Australia that does a fantastic job AND bears more than a little resemblance to Margot Robbie herself:

Laura Gilbert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.