Sumiko Talisman S Cartridge... any thoughts on performance & value?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GKH, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Recently, a good friend of mine past away, and his widow bestowed upon me his Denon DP-72L w/Ortofon Turbo MC1, vinyl collection, and Sumiko Talisman S cartridge.
    I sold the TT for her locally, and some of the vinyl that I didn’t keep for myself.
    I’m not too familiar with the Sumiko Talisman S. I’m not sure how many hours it was used before he switched to the Ortofon that is currently on the Denon. But; I might be selling the Sumiko. I welcome any thoughts on this cartridge from anyone familiar with it or who has used one.

Thanks!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I sold one that had been re-tipped by Soundsmith for $300 a few years ago.

3. Forgive me if I'm a bit fuzzy on the details here - this was a while back.

I bought one of the Talisman's somewhere back in the mid 80's. It was the least expensive model - maybe the "A"?. It was my first MC cartridge and it replaced a Stanton (681? 881? - something like that). I hate to admit it, but part of the attraction was that I thought that cartridge looked sexy. I bought a "skeletal" looking headshell to go with it, and the appearance together was just fantastic in my mind.

The sound? Well I thought it was a huge improvement over the Stanton. This was on a Sony PS-X7 and it was a PS IV Pre. I really enjoyed the sound of this combination, and all I wanted to do was to upgrade to the top of the line Talisman (can't remember the model - it may have been the "S"), but it was way out of the price range of a starving student.

4. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's input on this.
    I think I will post it for sale.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.