Summer Lovers (1982)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member Thread Starter

Anybody remember this film? Anyway it was remastered in widecreen bluray, I just pre-Ordered it on ScreenArchives.com , Screen Archives Entertainment , Twilight-time. This is my first thread, so I didn't post a pic, but it was only dvd pan-scan before , so its a welcome widecreen upgrade .:-popcorn:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I saw it in '82. Not worth $30.+ to me.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, it was shot spherically for 1.85, so you're not missing anything in a 1.33 transfer. Technically, a 1.78 full-frame HD will be closer to what was shown in the theater, and there's a chance you'll see a sliver more material on the far left and far right, but the top and bottom will be (correctly) cropped for the intended composition.

But it's not scope and so it's not technically pan/scan.

4. Eric B.

Hey thanks for the helpful contribution. I have read conflicting reports about the original aspect of this film, and never could confirm if the film was pan/scanned from 1.85, or shot 35mm 4:3 and matted for widecreen. I always thought it LOOKED pan/scanned, but am anxious to see if its more left right sides added to the pic , or the same width but top and bottom cropped to fit 1.78. I searched AVS forums but nobody knew for sure. So if I compare it to 1.33 dvd, should I see a little more to the sides, but lose some top and bottom?

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Haven't seen it since original release, but I have fond memories of that film and the killer soundtrack.

6. Eric B.

The sountrack was amazing. I am curious if they managed to license all the original songs, or if they had to 'tamper' with the sountrack for this re-release.

7. Eric B.

Another question for Vidiot, is possible that they didn't 'open up' the 1.85 to print the old 4:3 dvd, that they just hard matted the top and bottom of the frame, then further cropped the sides for that 4:3. More a general question really, not just for Summer Lovers. I always loved 80's dvd and used to wonder which ones show MORE screen information 4:3 than the 1.85. Like when you see boom mics at the top of the frame in 4:3, but not in 1.85. I used to bug the local video store clerks with that question a lot.:-popcorn:

8. Myke

Yes, I remember it. No, I didn't think it was much of a film. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner is what I ordered today.

9. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, song clearance issues are normally only a problem with television shows. Since this was a theatrical production, I'd hope it's not an issue. Vidiot probably has better knowledge in this regard.

I did enjoy it, and will probably pick it up when the price settles.

*edit* Just noticed it's Twilight Time, so the price may not drop.

10. Myke

It won't. This is my 23rd title with them (GWCtD)

11. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

You're probably right. I've only seen a few of their titles get cheaper, if they last long enough.

Speaking of GWCtD, I saw it on the weekend, as well as To Sir, With Love. Seemed to be a Sidney Poitier weekend. Just needed In the Heat of the Night for the trifecta!

That was a helluva year for Mr. Poitier.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I remember fast forwarding to the threesome scene. Not worth the rental.

13. Eric B.

Twilight time is definitely 'pricey', and the prices don't seem to drop. The old dvd version is $53.90 on amazon(was only $12 previously) , so the price is pretty ridiculous either way. Its a favorite movie of my wife, so 'happy wife,happy life' is my policy, but for the 35$ I could have bought 4 Bogart Blu-rays, or all 6 Fast and Furious movies. Indeed, I bought them all, so everybody wins.
    :edthumbs:
    Now if I could just find a copy of Sevano's Seven(1979), another 'titillating' summer movie from my youth. My collections get bigger and my wallet gets smaller.:whistle:

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

That French girl, Valerie.....wow! Gosh, must put the film on...right....now.

Eric B. likes this.
  15. Myke

IMDB's forum led me to a retailer that has it on DVD-R, but at 2 different prices. Why, I don't know :
    https://www.superstrangevideo.com/catalog.asp?action=search

Eric B. likes this.
  16. Eric B.

Thanks Myke, I actually did the same search, and found a couple DVD-R versions, but I am unsure what version I might receive, some censored,bootleg dub of a greek VHS with burned in subtitles, or a U.S. version. Have you ordered anything from that retailer before, if it was decent B-movie quality, I will try my luck there too. Thanks pal.
    :tiphat:

17. Eric B.

:edthumbs:
    You said it bro, she is so exotic and sexy :love: And Daryl Hannah has legs for DAYS, she's a long legged blonde beauty, they make a nice 'duo' indeed:angel:

18. Myke

No, never. I was just led by posters on IMDB.

19. Eric B.

I just emailed them about the 2 prices, I will probably take a chance on the 12.99, and they have a good selection of 70's Italian comedy as well.

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

Everyone should own their favorite films. Really. As an older commentator said recently..." some of us remember when you had to remember your favorite film, once it left it's theatrical run. "
    MY life changed forever in October 1979, when, at 21 years old, I took out a $1,000.00 loan for my first VCR.
    By 1983, my new son could take home video for granted.
    Now my 2 grandsons can't even imagine a world without a DVD or Blu ray at their fingertips.

Eric B. and clhboa like this.
  21. Summer Lovers is one of my guilty pleasures but I don't know that I want to spend that much on it. I'd still like to live on a Greek Island with a couple of babes, though.

Eric B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.