Summing up Bonanza

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Say It Right, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Another slightly NSFW discussion about Bonanza.

Chad

clhboa, hbbfam, JFS3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sort of. My dad loved tv western shows and Bonanza was one of his favorites. But he never had a good word to say about Lorne Greene after he began to publicly stump for Hubert Humphrey (who was the Democratic challenger against Nixon in the 1968 presidential race, and campaigned again in the 1971-72 Democratic primaries).

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Three Men and a Hoss.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That'd probably do it, thanks

5. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I always remember Hoss' version of swearing.......Dab Burn It!

6. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Loved Eric still do. Series could work as a reboot though tv and westerns.....

7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I agree.

The Bonanza comedy episodes were funny, and unfortunately, all too rare. The 2 episodes with character actor Arthur Hunnicutt and his dog Walter are a lot of fun.

Benno123 likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

has anyone else seen the Movie Something For A Lonely Man starring Dan Blocker? It's a lot of fun...catch it if you can....

Ted Mooney likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, he was amazing in LH...speaking of Litttle House...Dan Blocker's son was in an episode of Little House.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Lorne Greene's 'Bonanza' house in Mesa gets historic designation

[​IMG]

The Greenes lived there part-time for a few years before selling the place. The new owner never tried to capitalize on its history, but Tom and Louise Swann knew who had built it, and why.

The Swanns — both lifelong "Bonanza" fans — met several years ago through their fan-club affiliations.

"'Bonanza' is what got us together," Tom said.

Their research led them to Ponderosa II, and they began leaving notes on the door offering to buy the place. The deal consummated in 2011 after the previous owner died.

"This is the holy grail of 'Bonanza' collectibles," Louise said as she showed visitors through the large front room.​

[​IMG]

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hometown-architecture.701778/page-7#post-18273322

SandAndGlass and clhboa like this.
  11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

That's beautiful..and by the way-is[Mitch Vogel]still living? because he was the last Cartwright son having been adopted by ol Ben in the later years of the series.

12. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I have always since my childhood been a fan of Gunsmoke but always thought Bonanza was boring like Little House on the Prairie but I have decided to give it another chance and last week I began watching Bonanza from season 1 episode 1. I'm currently watching episode 7 now and while not as good as Gunsmoke it's not that bad.

jason88cubs likes this.
  13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, Mitch Vogel is still alive at 62 years old. In my opinion, Mitch Vogel was absolutely horrible on this show. I'm not sure just why they felt they needed another actor on that show, but they should have recruited someone who could act. Bonanza runs daily on MeTV and I often enjoy watching some episodes. But the last couple of seasons I just can't enjoy. I keep thinking...let this show die already.

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

When Roberts left in 1965, the show proceeded w/3 leads. After two years of this the producers decided production logistics would be easier w/4 leads, and David Canary was added as Candy.

When Canary left in 197o, another actor was hired to replace him as 4th lead. Vogel was chosen in hopes of appealing to a younger demo than the other 3 actors.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best thing was the theme music.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I wonder why the screen is round on the TV?

SandAndGlass and illinoisteve like this.
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Hey, Lorne Greene played Charlton Heston's father-in-law in Earthquake. I'll have whatever he's drinking.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

John Wayne supposedly called TV oaters "chamber westerns", in reference to their indoor "exteriors" and overabundance of dialogue.

That idea is addressed at 2:18 in this clip:

Glenn Christense likes this.
  20. clayton

clayton Senior Member

And none of them resemble him or each other:laugh:

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They have decent steaks at a good value. :)

22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Bonanza was actually a GREAT show that just went on too long. Those first few years were very solid and the stories were sometimes downright exceptional. I think it went downhill pretty quickly after Adam left and we got Candy, who was supposed to be some kind of Adam-substitute but ended up just being another Little Joe. It went on and on and on from there, for so long that I think people forgot how good it was when it started. I've got season three on DVD and I must say, it really holds up.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Dan Blocker was a very good guitarist who played Fender!

illinoisteve likes this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I don't like color television. Don't like that color for nothin'. Saw Bonanza at my in-laws. It's not for me. The Ponderosa looked fake. Hardly recognized Little Joe.

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

A few years later and this sort of thing is de rigueur for Tarantino movies...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.