Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway vinyl reissue out in February

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I have always loved this record and have been fortunate to have an original all these years.

Funny little note. There is a thread on the forum right now about Glenn Tipton. I never knew who that was but it made me think of that song. After learning who it is and reading the song lyrics it’s pretty damn funny.

Satrus likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is puzzling. My copy has this matrix:

• Matrix / Runout (Side A runout - etched): BH04053-01 A1 RTADLP 885
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B runout - etched): BH04053-01 B1 RTADLP 885
    • Matrix / Runout (Side C runout - etched): BH04053-02 C1 RTADLP 885
    • Matrix / Runout (Side D runout - etched): BH04053-02 D2 RTADLP 885
    And is not attributed to GZ. Still it looks like a record that I wouldn't bother to pick up used. In fact it's so bad that I won't even make the effort to clean it. To see how it sounds.

In cases like this one has to send the manufacturer the message and return the item.

3. ludovico

ludovico Forum Resident

This ils definitely manufactured by Optimal GmbH, look at the matrix scheme i found on Discogs:

Matrix scheme:

XY#####-ZZ
    (Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).

X is the format identifier:
    "A" = CDs
    "B" = Vinyl records
    "D" = DVDs or Blu-Ray Discs
    "E" = Blu-ray Discs

Y is the manufacturing year identifier, since 2010 a single letter (A to Z):
    (before 2010 see Optimal Media Production listings)

A = 2010
    B = 2011
    C = 2012
    D = 2013
    E = 2014
    F = 2015
    G = 2016
    H = 2017

Satrus and Neonbeam like this.
  4. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Anyone compared the reissue to the original yet? I wonder if there is any difference sonically, considering the original is not all that old, well 15 years, but still.

5. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I‘m from “across the pond“ and have a copy I ordered from JPC Germany which is perfect and has the same matrix numbers. I guess there’s a bad run which escaped quality control.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My copy is from JPC too.....

7. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I occasionally read of sub-standard Optimal pressings here on the forum, especially from some American members. Optimal puts out a few dodgy pressings now and then in my experience, but overall, I think they are fairly reliable. That said however, your copy is appalling. It is hard to understand how that copy got to the marketplace? When I saw the 'spindle holes' on my copy last night, I instantly knew it was an Optimal pressing. There are a few reviews on Discogs also. I would send that back too, the presentation says it all and now I understand why some members here are not happy with Optimal vinyl. I guess it's down to something called 'bad luck' some of the time?

8. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have always found Customer Services at jpc to be first class. They seem to be genuinely nice people and when I buy online I like to support them. They were at the High End Trade Show in Munich in 2014 (IIRC) so they 'get' the whole audiophile mindset too. That helps!

timnor and Neonbeam like this.
  9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

How are the spindle holes distinctive? I am assuming that mine is an American pressing as none of those trail-offs are the same? To my ears the audio is as superior as any new LPs I have....I've been Lucky (Sparks, Hippopotamus; Leonard Cohen, You Want It Darker; Neil Young, Live Rust; Arthur Lee/Love, Forever Changes Live @ Glastonburyg...all fantastic & pristine).

My Rough Trade vinyl Sun Kil Moon:
    SIDE 1- 166536E2/A
    etc...

funknik likes this.
  10. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Optimal 'spindle holes' are very clean and professional looking. Other plants seem to have much less precise looking 'spindle holes'. At this stage, to me, it is instinctive. I just know an Optimal 'spindle hole' when I see one! Have a look on the Discogs' images of the version of this LP that is not stated to have been pressed at GZ Vinyl and you'll see what I mean. Judging by your Matrix details, your copy is a GZ Vinyl pressing. Now there is nothing wrong with that, it is just that I have not had good luck at all with GZ Vinyl pressings. Other people complain about Optimal so it's all down to good or bad luck, it seems. Many people have said that GZ Vinyl quality has improved in recent years but I have no very recent experience of what they are doing these days. One thing I will say about the Czech plant is that they do not have any problem with concentric spindle holes! Of those I have seen, all were fine. That is something Optimal could improve, again just my experience.

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just wondered....I see people say this all the time: does a record just need to not have any pops or ticks to have amazing audio?

12. Jmac2043

Jmac2043 Forum Resident

Got mine from amazon. I do not mind a pop/tick here and there, but, after cleaning/vacuuming my copy, there was still a substantial amount of surface noise/pops/ticks. Sufficient to take away from the experience for sure.

13. lemonade kid

No, but I read that so many posts by members of new pressings being faulty...I'm just saying. But of course, the audio is foremost and this one IS awesome. Some above complained of scratched vinyl right out of the sleeve --of brand new purchase...so yeah, I don't want that either, man.

funknik, richbdd01 and Neonbeam like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Thanks. I get it now.

I bought a new Canadian pressing by Matt Anderson on white vinyl and the spindle hole is so small it won't fit on the spindle! So now I have to get out my handy electric drill and make it bigger! OUCH! But I did download the digital files included and it is an awesome LP.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ordered last night only £17.99 on amazon, can’t complain with the price...

16. lemonade kid

Nice ...I paid $26.97 USD at our Bull Moose local store. Comparable I guess, tho I am not adept at currency exchange!

funknik and richbdd01 like this.
  17. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

:)
    Why not use one of those ball point pens with the tapering tubes? These work fine and I occasionally have to use one. My Jackson Browne 'Late For the Sky' EU reissue needed that as the spindle hole was very tight. The drill may work fine but the ball point pen method works really well and sounds, well, less extreme.:)

18. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

got two copies of the album as I wasn't sure if this is a limited edition or not... and it was on my want list for over a decade.
    set 1 has visible marks on the vinyl but plays fine on 3 of 4 sides
    set 2 looks pristine but has surface noise and some pops throughout all sides...
    so right now I am strongly thinking about putting the best lps together and returning one of the sets as pressing quality seems mediocre at best...

mikeburns and Neonbeam like this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Is yours GZ or Optimal?

20. heybulldog

heybulldog Well-Known Member

My copy from Rough Trade is flat and silent. Haven’t checked the pressing yet, will do later on.

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Got mine today. Honestly, the vinyl was pretty dirty and even had some weird brown powdery residue ....mine is the Optimal pressing. I cleaned it up (fortunately the residue all came off) and it looks reasonable as I cut the records out the horrible paper sleeves to avoid scuffing and I can barely see anything scuff wise or hairlines etc. I then rehoused in anti-static sleeves. The records have that slight effect of having been in paper sleeves....most of you will know what I mean. They do look pretty mint though if you remove them immediately and avoid scuffing them.

One word of advice....I would at the very least avoid sealing these in the plastic sleeve or you may find you get fogging on the vinyl. One of my records had the slightest bit on the edge of the record where it shows signs of appearing but barely noticeable. I consider this to be due to the plastic sleeve.

I will listen over the weekend hopefully....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  22. heybulldog

heybulldog Well-Known Member

Which inner sleeves do you use to replace? This isn't something I've done before - but there does seem to a 'gritty' noise coming from the A/B sleeve.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Standard poly lined sleeves, you should always do it if the sleeves aren’t lined. These in particular are horrific and will ruin the records.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Okay.... after a good clean, my records look pretty clean and nice. Listening through both records, there fortunately is very little surface noise so I’m relieved at that.

I found the sound quite satisfying. I don’t have an original to compare, though I certainly wasn’t thinking that it could be much better. If you can get a decent pressing, then I can only recommend this.

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

Thanks, I'll try that! Better than an extreme electric drill for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.