Sun Ra Transparency DVDs - worth getting?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

they're just sitting in the racks here, and they're mighty tempting.

anyone know anything about them? just how bootleg-y are they? anyone ona Sun Ra board ever review them?

2. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

The "Vol. 1" DVD features a performance by the Arkestra live at the Palomino Club in Hollywood, from 11/5/88. This concert hasn't been widely circulated to my knowledge and is not listed in either edition of the "Earthly Recordings" sessionography, but is now on the Earthly Extension page. It is supplemented with a Sun Ra/Don Cherry performance and interview from '89 - entry 601 from The Earthly Recordings, 2nd edition - poorly transferred and likely available in much better shape, considering it was broadcast on VH-1. Video quality on the concert itself is essentially VHS level - the periodic "tracking" warning has been included, which is really irritating - but the sound on the concert seems to be taken directly from the boards. As an uncirculated performance, it's well worth having; as a DVD release it's obviously a poorly executed boot. Here's the info from the packaging: "A completely unknown treasure trove of videotaped SUN RA concerts has just surfaced. Approximately 25 hours are being released on ten separate DVD volumes, with bonus material. Each volume contains a proof-of-purchase card. Mail in all ten cards and you will receive a free, beautifully designed clear acrylic collector's box for the set." The second volume - a Sun Ra All-Stars performance in Berlin '83 - should arrive in a few weeks. I'm not expecting much.

3. 93curr

well I bought 'em. neither one contained proof of purchase cards.

I'm watching the East Berlin one right now. it's loads of fun (especially the weird German crawl along the bottom, like CNN or Fox) but barely even in color. black and white, really. (well, actualy it's kind of green and white. weird.) (also, it kinda sounds a little sharp. PAL to NTSC? or possible SECAM?) I would have hoped that video footage from 1986 would be in better shape than that. heck, even the Target 'Devo Live' disc looked better than this. well, no, not really. but, still, it's a fun document, the music's great, and how am I supposed to live with myself if I don't own every scrap of Sun Ra ephemera available?

I wouldn't recommend these to anyone whose Ra collection isn't already in the triple digits, but I'm happy enough to intend to buy the next two. heck at only $20 CDN each, how can I complain?

4. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

These performances mostly circulate in collector / traders circles, and it's a shame that inferior boots are being sold, with no profit going to the artists, when they can be had for the price of postage and a blank. Everything but the Palomino is available in better quality.

5. 93curr

according to the Somnius website, the Arkestra have been paid for these. they just blowing smoke?

and, yeah, it would be nice if there were some kind of warning on the cover regarding the dodgy quality of the video. these obviously aren't taken from original videotapes, but from someone taping them from broadcasts, probably with an old betamax.

if someone releases better quality versions, then I'll upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.