Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic. 2 releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steven, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven

Steven Senior Member Thread Starter

AMG lists two releases on CD:

1990 CD DGC 24277
    1989 CD DGC D2-24277

Any difference between the two?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

One's commercial, the other a CD/record club issue. Sound should be identical. Great album, BTW, and their first UK 45 from '89, "Can't Be Sure" captures their essence perfectly(we remember them for "Here's Where The Story Ends" vid/single, but the first was, IMO, the best).

As for AMG, I consider them pretty worthless for anything. Others may disagree.

ED:cool:

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Re: Re: Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic. 2 releases?

Can I disagree and agree with you Ed?

They aren't very thorough (like giving wrong, inaccurate credits and leaving big, gapping holes in credits), but then again, they have some things listed under my name that I forgot I worked on.

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

This was about the time that Geffen and DGC switched distribution from the WEA conglomerate to Uni Distribution. Unlike many labels that switch distribution, Geffen and DGC kept their numbers the same on their LPs but changed the prefixes.

The WEA-distributed version should be "24277-2".
    The Uni-distributed version should be "DGCD-24277"

Even more confusing was that Geffen's 45s were part of the WEA numbering system, which by this time was in the 19000s and, as anyone who has any WEA 45s from 1982 and later knows, the numbers descend rather than ascend. (Thus, 29999 is older than 29001.) Upon changing distribution to Uni, Geffen kept its numbers in the 19000s, but started over at 19001 AND went in ascending order! More than one discographer has been confused by this.

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Actually, I find allmusic.com pretty indispensible, in that it is the only on-line site I'm aware of that attempts to compile everything by an artist. I'm sure it's often incomplete and misses a lot, but it's free and does have a lot of information to guide my purchasing decisions.

Re: the Sundays, I LOVED them, especially this first record. Some of the tracks had a Smiths feel to me. I wonder what the lead singer is doing these days?

6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Tim is all over it. I think AMG's entries are just misrepresentations of the WEA and Uni versions. Identical CDs.

Saw the Sundays' tour for that album and the 'comeback' of Static & Silence. I'll never forget the small club in Denver (now defunct) for the first tour; the stage was very low and close to the crowd--some jerk exhaled his cigarette smoke right in Harriet's face. She tried to blow it off but you could tell it got to her a bit. Idiot.

Mark

7. stever

stever Senior Member

I have the Rough Trade CD and the Rough Trade vinyl of, "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" -- that was this recording's first label. Great album!

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You are correct, Sir! Great album it is...took me a few years to track down the UK 45 of "Can't Be Sure" but good things come to those who wait...and get real lucky!:)

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.