Sundazed & Quality Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wvbkelley, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Wait - I just looked at the deadwax of my Sundazed BOTW.. Looks like it says KPG@CA, but there is no sticker on the back.. do I already have the new one?

2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

this means a lot of checking of stickers and whether or not it is ASUNQ...I wanted to buy the Gene Clark - Roadmaster but now i am unsure as to whether to wait or not....

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Much better in what way?

Doubt Ill buy these until we actually know the source of what tapes were used to remaster these...yet...again.

If they want to impress then bring out the mono Simon and Garfunkel. Yeah, I know..prolllly aint happenin'

My Dylan mono is satisfied w the box set...move on folks to mastering other mono titles..Buff Springfield? Safe as Milk?..

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Sounds like you & Kevin aren't in touch as much these days...

True?

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow they reissued "Raw Power" and the Link Wray titles. Wonder if those were done by Kevin? Will contact AS and Sundazed and report back on this new batch of 13.

6. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I wasn't fond of the Sundazed Raw Power so if it is redone by Mr. Gray I'd be very happy. My "Nice Price" issue from the late 70s crushes it.

7. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Thanks for looking into it. Looking forward to hearing what you find out!

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Heard back from Acoustic Sounds this morning and they weren't able to confirm to what extent Kevin is working with the new reissues. Evidently Sundazed has not been very forthcoming with them. I'm still waiting to hear back from Sundazed. But the new reissue product code does start ASUNQ as opposed to the old ASUN if you are going to order them.

9. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

QRP is also pressing some titles for Sony, Warner and EMI Blue Note Japan.

10. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

You are correct. See link to Michael Fremer's review of PSR&T:

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=720

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Ain't apt to happen, but boy do I wish they'd have KG replace their previous cut of Blue Cheer's Outsideinside. That disc sounded so much worse than the old Polygram CD that it's a sin. It really should be redone because I can't imagine anyone being happy with how that one sounded.

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Hate to be a wet blanket but I ordered three dylan titles as soon as I saw they were being pressed at QRP. All three had to go back... on my dime. They were all dish warped to the point that I couldn't even run my acoustech brush on them, it would stop the record. The records made no contact with the platter.

I got Bringing it and Hwy 61 before Christmas and called after to get an RMA # and asked if they could ship a replacement out and the answer was "no". They could charge me for another and then refund me when they got the album back. I assume I would have payed shipping on that.

So I ordered BoB that day and got it before New Years but same story, both discs warped, sent it back. However this time the sale manager said "believe me, there will be meetings about this".

That's cold comfort though for someone that has to pay almost $15 extra in shipping and will finally get his LPs a month late. I just hope these don't have to go back.

BTW, I didn't notice a sticker and didn't check the dead wax. I will this time.

I wonder if they will offer the "box" discount once all the titles are pressed?

wcarroll likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Interesting. Reports of warping appears to be a recurring issue with Quality Records. Do these appear to be realy heavy (over 200g) ?

14. Jody

Jody Active Member

So you're not certain that you had the new QRP pressings?

15. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

The records weren't very heavy, I would have guessed only the Bringing it Lp was 180g.

My only clue that they were QRP was that the page I ordered them from stated they were pressed at QRP and I ordered them from Acoustic Sounds. I wouldn't have ordered them if they weren't.

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I may have posted previously that my one and only QRP record so far, Tony Joe White's 'Home Made Ice Cream', was warped. I hope there are 'meetings about this' and they solve whatever it is they're doing wrong.

17. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I hope they repress the Dylan monos and Rascals albums at Quality Records since the ones I have are lousy. I'll send back my originals as defectives (since they are).

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

So according to Sundazed it's Bob Irwin's mastering on the reissues being pressed at Quality but Kevin is doing the "physical lacquer cutting".

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Very worrying news about warped records.

You think you have 'return' problems ?

Ordering through Acoustic Sounds from Australia means a $50 Min International order and unusually high postage. Then from my experience it costs 50% more to send anything back.

It really isn't worth the risk if the odds aren't good.

Has anyone feedback on the 'flatness' of the Quality Records pressings of Simon and Garfunkel and Stevie Ray Vaughan please ?

20. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Only 50% more? You're being too kind. I find it's usually three times more postage to send from Australia. We must have one of the highest postage charges in the world.

21. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I have the 180 gram, 200 gram and 45 rpm of BOTW. None of them are warped. All of them are slightly dished - the 200 gram being the worst offender. Surprisingly, the 45 rpm is the least dished. They all track perfectly and all of them sound better than any other release. However, the pressing that is the most quiet and perfect vinyl-wise is the MFSL. Probably the quietest vinyl I own. However, in terms of musicality and clarity of the music and best mastering the Classics are the way to go. If you can't find he 45 rpm, I would recommend the 180 gram which seems to have less issues than the 200 gram and, at least on my system, they sound almost exactly the same.

22. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I just compared the non-quality and quality sundazed versions of Bookends, there's definitely a pronounced difference between the 2, the new version feels much more present and three-dimensional. I was hesitant to buy this same sundazed album twice in one year but I'm glad I did. Fingers crossed that sundazed decides to repress The United States of America - s/t someday.

23. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

I would like to know how that works. Is Bob present at the mastering session? Or does Bob give Kevin notes how to EQ when cutting from the master tape? Or does Bob send Kevin an EQed tape? Or does Bob send Kevin a digital file (with what resolution)?

24. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I just ordered the three newly issued S+G LP's from Acoustic Sounds costing:

$ 18.98 Simon & Garfunkel / Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
    $ 18.98 $ 18.98 Simon & Garfunkel / Bookends
    $ 16.98 Simon & Garfunkel / Bridge Over Troubled Water

which comes to $54.94......and then they surprised me with another $43 postage!!!! So the total shipped was an incredible $97.94. AND I choose the cheapest postage available - US Airmail. I think the reason for the high postage is that the packaging from Acoustic Sounds is amazing - it is also very heavy....at buyers expense. I find the method of not telling you upfront what shipping will be a little old fashioned at best, and deceptive at worse (there's no way you can factor in the cost at the time of ordering - so they can charge what they like)

Lets hope the vinyl is worth it - no way I'm sending back if it isn't!

25. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Elusivedisc offers cheaper shipping and better packaging. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.