Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Has anyone made this their "go-to" store?
    I fell out of favour with the old Sunrise when they introduced their version of the dreaded membership card.
    Rely on giving good prices, not on gimmicks.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

I have one friend who's gone on a blu-ray buying binge once a month with their low end pricing after recently discovering the format and having limited alternative out in the burbs.

3. jimod99

jimod99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are all the 70+ stores now open?

4. VatiBobo

VatiBobo New Member

Interesting to see some of the comments on here - many of them align with my experiences so far. I've yet to buy anything since the local stores opened despite a few visits. Over the past few months I've taken a look in stores in Cambridge, Guelph and Toronto. They all have a decent selection of vinyl and CDs but nothing that screamed "must buy". I'm fairly close to the Cambridge and Guelph stores and on the couple of occasions I've gone in to look for something specific, they haven't had it.

Some of the LPs that I would consider buying are either things that I'm not desperate to have right now or their prices are too high. For example, they are selling The Band vinyl boxset for, I think, $209. Online at Music Vaultz it's $149 with free shipping. As much as I'd like to support local stores, that's a huge difference, even allowing for the difference of online versus physical store.

I hope they succeed but I'm not sure how they can. This area has some good and popular independent record stores (e.g. Millpond Records and Books in Hespeler, Cambridge) but in each of the Sunrise locations I've been in they have been very, very quiet. I think that the most other people I've seen in a store is 3 or 4, and I can't recall ever seeing anyone buy anything.

5. jimod99

jimod99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a spare morning last Friday so popped over to Gatineau to check out the two new stores there.

Both have the same stock as the Ottawa stores, however the cd's and records are filed in alphabetical order including first names ie. Bowie Under "D" Van Morrison under "V" ect. Is this unique to Quebec?

6. VatiBobo

VatiBobo New Member

That's weird - I've never seen a store do that before. It would certainly be confusing at first. I wonder if bands beginning with 'The' were filed under T :laugh: