Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

They only have one SACD but as other people have said, their two DVD's with the albums in 5.1 are worth having as well.

2. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I think those housed in digipaks are the SACDs. ['Love Kraft', that is]

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

How do people like the surround mix for Love Kraft? Do you think it's worth seeking out? As I mentioned, it's not my top SFA album, but it's still enjoyable and a well done 5.1 mix might help me to savor the little details. Of course, it's always a little tricky to determine if I'm buying the right one on Amazon. . .

4. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Thanks all, I'll have to check out those DVD's. Unfortunately I'm not 5.1 capable yet so I can't comment on that mix.

5. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

thanks for this tip, I just ordered one of the last two LPs off amazon.co.uk :righton:

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

At their peak they were the best band in the world at that time, IMO. Brilliant band.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

any news ?

8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

From the SFA twitter account on May 4: "Not a f***ing chance of a new SFA album anytime soon".

too bad.

9. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

I just read an interview with Daf about his new band The Earth and the topic of SFA was touched upon quite a bit. Of course I can't find the link right now, but he basically said that after 'Dark Days/Light Years' they had to fire their long-time manager and were essentially broke as a band so they all needed to take a step back for a bit, though it sounded like it was really driven by Gruff. He also mentioned some sort of SFA box set project but that he couldn't say much about it since it's still in the planning stages.

But yeah, there was also a very "don't expect anything any time soon" message to the whole thing.

I'll keep digging and see if I can remember where it was.

10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I think the new Neon Neon is a disappointment, at least compared to the first one. It's not bad, just not as good. The LP sounds good (much better than the included CD): perhaps I just need to give the LP (NOT the CD) a few more listens...

11. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I found this thread a few weeks ago, saw your comment and broke out my CD of Love Kraft for a repeat/refresh listen. It was one of those albums were I was expecting something different, was disappointed and put it back on the shelf after a few listens. Well, I was so taken with it that I ordered the SACD (which I received this weekend) and the increased resolution REALLY benefits complex, mult-elemental music like this. (There is a whole lot going on in this mix!) I may even seek out the vinyl. Thanks for the nudge!

Colin Allstations likes this.
  12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I bought the SACD on amazon.uk for about 8 GBP shipped and it is a great sounding SACD. I don't think that any of their other titles are available on SACD. I would love to see a vinyl or SACD or DVD-A or Blu-ray box set of all of their albums. Someone please make that happen immediately.

13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Listening now to 'Dark Days/Light Years' - Merry Christmas To Me! :goodie: < go green flumper!

ad180 likes this.
  14. zakyfarms

Listening to Gruff Rhys' Atheist Xmas EP from a couple years ago:

Post-Apocalypse Christmas
    At The End Of The Line
    Slashed Wrists This Christmas

Loving it!

ad180 likes this.
  15. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Complier! I was at that Baltimore 'Rings Around the World' show also. Brings back wonderful memories and it indeed was a great show! We made the drive from Pittsburgh and it was completely worth it.

16. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The last time I saw them was on the Love Kraft US tour. I remember thinking how unhealthy some of the guys were looking on the gig, especially the guitarist. They looked tired, and done .

17. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Gruff has a movie (with accompanying soundtrack and book) due out next year, so I'm guessing there won't be any band activity any time soon.

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

That reminds me: I STILL haven't seen "Seperado!" yet!

19. zakyfarms

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/01/super_furry_ani_11.html

Super Furry Animals have been on hiatus since 2010 or so following the previous year's Dark Days/Light Years. The band are still together just working on individual projects at the moment. Frontman Gruff Rhys is probably the most prolific, having released solo LP Hotel Shampoo in 2011 and last year put out a second Neon Neonalbum with collaborator Boom Bip. You can check out the video for "Hammer & Sickle" from Neon Neon below.

Bassist Guto Pryce, meanwhile, formed Gulp with singer Lindsey Leven who have put out two singles to date. Both blend elements of late '60s British folk, groovy bachelor pad rhythm sections and glitchy electronics. SFA keyboardist Cian Ciaran mixed the records. Classy and cool, you can stream them below. Gulp, which live also includes Gwion Llewelyn of fellow Welsh band Race Horses, will be coming over for SXSW and while there have been no dates announced outside Austin, let's hope that changes.

Speaking of Ciaran, he put out his second solo album, They Are Nothing Without Us, in September 2013, loaded with anthemic, melodic rock (and angry protest lyrics) and is not that far off from songs he contributed to SFA's late '00s albums. You can stream his album via Rdio.

SFA drummer Dafydd Ieuan has been spending his time apart from the band with The Earth a group started by Mark Roberts of Catatonia (if you remember them) and is fronted by Dionne Bennett who used to sing with Rhys Ifans' band The Peth (Ieuan was in that band too). The band's debut album, Off On One, came out back in October 2012 and might be described as "widescreen soul."

20. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

The Gulp singles are really fantastic. Didn't realize they were coming over for SXSW - hopefully there are more shows.

Bunf is also supposedly working on a solo album, though that's most likely filed in the "believe it when you see it" category.

21. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

ad180 likes this.
  22. zakyfarms

The Gulp LP, Season Sun, is out now and I love it. Anyone who likes SFA should check this out.

Review of the single from Spin:

Gulp is the latest project from Guto Pryce, bassist for '90s-spawned Welsh psych-rock psychopaths Super Furry Animals. Featuring Welsh songstress Lindsey Leven on bewitching lead vocals, "Game Love," is one side of a 7" due later this month on the group's own E.L.K. label. It's an amalgam of 21st-century electronic squiggles and vintage airy psych-folk, as contemporary as video games and as old as the hills. Leven sighs the title phrase over an extended sylvan groove, backed by SFA's Dafydd Ieuan on waltzing drums, and with meticulous mixing from fellow Furry member Cian Ciárán — all to sweetly hypnotic effect. Who says love is a losing game?

23. serge

serge Forum Resident

its interesting but some bands i think "call it quits" because their fanbase "calls it quits" on them...SFA, Stereolab, Supergrass all come to mind...their fans get older , settle down..stop buying records/going to shows and they don't make new fans so they're toast

24. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I don't think this is the case with SFA. If they announced a new album and tour, my guess is that they'd have more support than ever from their fans. Their status has only improved during their time away. With nearly every member releasing quality material, the thought of a new SFA record makes me salivate. I really hope it happens.

25. zakyfarms

Well well well!

http://www.creation-records.com/the-return-of-super-furry-animals/

It’s nearly 6 years since their last gig and nearly 8 years since their last album on Rough Trade, but it seems something is stirring in Super Furry Animals world.

A couple of tweets have been posted by the band in the last couple of day hinting at a reunion.

If you go down to the woods today.. http://t.co/wEHfIXlUzd

— super furry animals (@superfurry) February 24, 2015

You're sure for a big surprise

— super furry animals (@superfurry) February 25, 2015

In the meantime, it’s now been confirmed that Super Furry Animals will be performing with Rhys Ifans on Friday at the Howard Mark & Friends concert at The Forum in London.

Initially only three members of the band were confirmed but the running order now contains Super Furry Animals.

lee59 and vince like this.