Super Hits Of The '70s: Have A Nice Day - volume by volume discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lv70smusic, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barabajagal

Barabajagal Member

After reading this thread I was inspired to seek out the volumes in this series I had yet to collect. I now have them all except for number 23 which is, at this point in time, prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know why this particular CD commands so much more money than the others? At almost 40.00 used, it's nearly four times the price of the average used volume in this series.

2. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I found a couple of these CDs (volumes 13 and 14) at a local shop yesterday. Great sound.

I held off on picking up another available at the store -- No. 20 -- because I didn't like the song selection. I'll probably regret it later! :)

Campbell Saddler and nbakid2000 like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You will!

I'm just glad I was able to buy them all as they came out in the 90s! I made digital copies of them, and even added more volumes by making my own. Rhino thought they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. They didn't even scratch the surface!

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have Volumes 1, 3, 10, 15, 22, 23, 24
    Still need to pick op Volumes 4 & 25,

Darryl

5. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Great song! I'm rediscovering a lot of these tracks as I pick up the HAND series one by one (and discovering for the first time a LOT of them that somehow I missed the first time around, in my youth)

Magnet and Steel does sound nice on HAND Vol 21, but I have to say I prefer the sound on the Rock Artifacts disc.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Now THAT was a great series!

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have 1-23. I made some compilation discs from them years ago when I first got them, all, I've spun the heck out of those comps, but other than that the original discs have sat for years now.

Until tonight.

I'm going to play 1 or 2 a night until I get through them. First impression for vol 1, the sound quality is good, but not jaw dropping, I've heard better compilations for sure, seems a bit soft on the bass and lacking air and soundstage, certainly does not have near as good of sound as Nippers or Teenage Crush collections IMO.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ok, I'm up to vol 20 tonight.
    I'm finding there are some real sonic highlights in this set, as well as overall very good sound quality.

I'm inclined now to say it is very well done, but.... again.... not quite to the level of sonic beauty I've heard from the Nipper or Teenage Crush series, but still, I'm more often than not impressed than being letdown with the sound quality of most of the songs on these discs.

I'm also going to recant my bass complaint, the more I've listened the better the bottom end has sounded. It's really dependent on the cut being played.

3 more discs and I'm done, and I've enjoyed the trip. I can't believe I've let these disc set for so many years without playing them.

I did zero in on a few favorites I'll keep in my "go to pile" to play on a regular basis.

9. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I love this series and have all 25 volumes. I ripped all of them and put them on my iPod about 3 years ago. I like them especially because of the inclusion of single versions of some of the songs. For awhile, especially when these volumes came out, they were the only place you could find some of these songs. I wish Rhino would have done a multi-volume series like this for 80's songs.

Also have the Rhino 20-volume "Didn't It Blow Your Mind: Soul Hits Of The 70's" series. Several great single versions on those, too.

GuildX700 and JimC like this.
  10. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Great series.

I have most of the single discs, sampler disc and box set with first edition carpet cover.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member Thread Starter

Rhino did start a similar series for the 1980s, but they stopped after five volumes. Here's a link to the first volume in the Radio Daze series: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Daze-Po...d=1414334604&sr=8-2&keywords=rhino+radio+daze

Malina likes this.
  12. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

"Rhino did start a similar series for the 1980s, but they stopped after five volumes"

Yes, I have all five of those volumes and they're all great as well. To say it's a shame that they didn't continue with the series through the rest of the 80's is an understatement.

steelydanguy likes this.
  13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

This may be due to the fact that some of the tracks are needledrops. IIRC Rhino could license some tracks, but did not have access to the tapes.

14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I had a few of these CD's when they first came out ( and the original 'Carpet-cover" box) , and most of them sound great. But I can only enjoy them in small doses--I hate novelty songs and cringe-inducing teenage angst dramas--because I was a kid when most of these songs came out, and I have several of them on 45's.
    It's also amazing that so many of the songs sprinkled throughout this series turned up in the movie Boogie Nights, where they were used to great effect.

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've got a few of the Soul Hits also. I should've probably got more of that collection when they were cheap. Some great stuff on those.

Grant likes this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Even more so in 1969. ;)

17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It's a great joy to read this thread.

I've been planning to get a comprehensive set of compilations and noticed HAND often getting a good rap over here.

As far as 70's compilations go I've got two Dutch ones on Universal: Seventies Top 100 Vols. 1 & 2, compiled by the Radio 2 station:

Seventies Top 100 Vol.1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXL802/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_QhKQxbVMDH096

Vol. 2-Seventies Top 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001652ESO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_mjKQxbZ8XJMY6

Awesome stuff, but -ofcourse- HAND mostly is chronological with great sound.
    Anyway, I'll read on... :cool:

18. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

in this series, i got digital versions of "Lay a Little Lovin' on Me," "Witch Queen of New Orleans" and "Ma Belle Amie" that still have not been bettered. i also bought some volumes specifically to get "Don't Say You Don't Remember," "Joy," "Games," "Woodstock" and dammit, "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast." i just played them the other night. What? What? My dear colleague Paul Grein wrote notes for every single volume and inspired me to get into the reissue and essay business.

im glad i got all of "Rock Artifacts," too. i'm a sucker for improved mastering and have really enjoyed some disco bootlegs that really sound like tape sources though the packages look like out of license.

19. Grant

I have the entire series of that one, too.

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. Grant

In a nutshell, here's how it really went down, as noted in the "Storyteller" boxed set:

This songwriter got Rod Stewart to sing the scratch vocals on his demo. Rod did it as a favour. No contract, no money exchanged. Next thing Stewart knew, the demo had been released as a single without his permission. He was tricked. Stewart never sued.​

21. Grant

It was mostly chronological up until volume 15. Rhino had decided at that point that they were done, but changed their minds and released 10 more volumes. So, what they did starting with volume 16 is kind of go back to the early 70s and work their way back up, jumping around a bit more.

22. Grant

I'm missing one or two of the Rock Artifacts CDs. But, I do have the demo CD.

23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

FM did a lot of session work; besides Walter Egan Rob Grill, John Stewart, Bob Welch and I'm pretty sure others as well.
    The song Johnny Stew from Lindsey Buckingham's Law And Order album is actually dedicated to John Stewart.

Gonna order vols. 2 and 18 tomorrow, going by lowest price + shipping rates.

Grant likes this.
  24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

One of the great various artist collections. 70's radio sure was a mix of genres.

I miss 70's music if for no other reason than a band of ugly guys could be big stars!:D

Grant and steelydanguy like this.
  25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Rhino by far is my favorite label, and I've made it my life's work to collect as much as possible. So I've got complete versions of most of their series, but "Super Hits" is the best, followed closely by "Soul Hits". I think I collect more 70's comps than any other genre, and the only one that comes close to this for me is the AM Gold series, and it's been difficult to complete that set. The AM Golds sound awesome, but don't have nearly the breadth of songs the Rhino has.

lv70smusic, GuildX700 and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.