Super Hits Of The '70s: Have A Nice Day - volume by volume discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lv70smusic, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm with you -- Rhino and Time-Life might be the cream of the crop when it comes to various-artist collections on CD. I, too, try to collect as many of those CDs as I can. And there are so many! And with Rhino, there are also great box sets and greatest-hit sets for individual artists. Of my 2,000 or so CDs, I bet 20 percent or more are from the Rhino label.

Some of my favorite Rhino various-artist sets are "Have a Nice Day" (1970s pop), "Didn't It Blow Your Mind" (1970s soul), "Just Can't Get Enough" (late 1970s/early 1980s New Wave) ... and so many others. Time-Life is awesome, too. "Sounds of the Eighties," "Sounds of the Seventies," "Classic Country" and "The Rock 'n' Roll Era" are just a few of their wonderful collections.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I have quite a few Time-Life comps, but the sound quality is so variable, and there is so much duplication across comps that I don't try as hard to complete those series. But a few, like the "Singers and Songwriters" series and the "Disco Fever" series , are very good.

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a bunch of those AM Gold CD's - 1969-1977 or so plus some other 60's and 'Early 70's' discs. Have not listened to them in years though.

Pat

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, out of all non-Fleetwood Mac songs the band worked on, "Gold" by John Stewart sounds the most Fleetwood Mac-like.

Pizza likes this.
  5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Same here. I have a bunch of catalogs that I've used in my hunt. I think I'm just about done. One of these days I will put a list together and post it here. It's pretty insane. I like to buy new copies at a reasonable price and that makes it more difficult, but I have a couple tricks up my sleeve that help.

Good price on the Pic-A-Nic Basket that might slip by cheap. :D

Hanna Barbera's PIC-A-NIC BASKET Cartoon classics box set 4 CDs RHINO yogi bear »

6. Grant

And you had every genre of music on the same radio station. Everything went, no matter how hard, soft, sappy, goofy, loungy, jazzy, off the wall, funky, soulful, hillbilly, or naughty it was. We will never see that kind of radio again!

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. Grant

Amen, brother! The bulk of my collection is from the 7o and 80s. But, except for some disco albums and a couple 45 RPM single versions, i'm done with collecting the 70s. I have everything I need.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Just to follow up an old post of mine, I've got up to Vol 23 now, but I just can't spring for vol 24 and 25, they really are getting up there in price. I'll watch but I don't have much hope in getting those last 2 for under $20 each.

9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

In my excitement vols. 7 and 13 also got caught up in my frenzy. Four volumes coming my way! :cool:

Shvartze Shabbos and Malina like this.
  10. Yes. I have them both. Sorry it took me 7 years to answer. :tiphat:

11. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My advice to you is to just buy them & call your set complete. Consider the extra you're paying to get them a convenience charge. I hope this helps!

Grant and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

Are you talking about old Rhino catalogs? I didn't get into CD collecting in earnest until the late 1990s, so I had to backtrack in getting a lot of those Rhino CDs. I have managed to get many of the various-artist discs the label released, but there are still plenty that I don't have, not to mention many greatest-hits packages and box sets by individual artists that I'm missing. (Rhino issued a lot of CDs!)

To this day, I've never owned or even see one of those Rhino catalogs that often were advertised on little cards that came with new Rhino CDs. Hmmmm ... might have to try track one of those down. Although, this website has a pretty thorough Rhino discography: The Rhino Records Story »

Would be highly interested to see your list of Rhino CDs as I, too, am an enormous fan of the label. Cheers.

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Too much money and those 2 CD's have very little I'm interested in anyhow. I'd get them for $12 max each, but that's not happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.