Super Nintendo games

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I just picked up a Super Nintendo and re-discovered some of it's great games.

Super Mario World is as amazing and enjoyable as it was in 1991. The game has aged very well.

Anyone have and still play one or download the games on the Wii's Virtual Console?

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

It's my second favorite system, after the original NES. So many classics... Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania 4, Final Fantasy II & III, Super Mario Kart, among a few! The SNES was best for platformers and RPGs.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've still got one. I have to say the graphics don't come across too well on a modern HD TV :)

4. PaulKTF

I havn't played it on a HDTV but even 20 years later; I'm still impressed by the graphics and effects Nintendo got out of the SNES.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

SNES Mario Kart is the best game ever. I recently dusted mine off and hooked it up, so much fun.

6. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I disagree. :) I think the SNES and even the NES (!) look fine on an HDTV. It is the early "3D" systems like the PS1 and Saturn which look bad. Really bad.

7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I haven't seen a SNES on an HDTV, but looks awesome via s-video on my Dell monitor. 16-bit in s-video rules!
    So yes, I still have my SNES ca. 1994, and have whittled down my collection to the following games:
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Metroid
    Contra III
    Space Megaforce
    Starfox
    Zelda III
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Double Dragon
    Clayfighter Tournament Ed.
    Probably some others I'm forgetting.

Have a NES toaster and my Genesis ca. 1991.

8. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Spent a good chunk of the rainy, rainy summer of '92 playing Super Contra :righton:

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I just grabbed Super Mario RPG off the VC...while looking for the Player's Guide that I once had, I found my SNES in the closet with that very game with it, no doubt. OH WELL. :laugh:

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Never played Super Nintendo myself, but I have a regular NES, and N64 and a Game Cube. I love playing Mario 3 on the NES, but I wish there was a way to play it where I could save the game and not have to start over all the time.

11. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Mario All-Stars on Super Nintendo has Mario 3 and it has a save feature. Also, since you have a GameCube, there's a Game Boy Player for it and there was a Mario 3 cart for Game Boy Advance that you could play on it.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good to know, though I don't have a Game Boy. Or SNES, unfortunately.

I guess a very well done emulation playable on a PC with a save feature would suffice.

13. PaulKTF

A Super Nintendo and Mario All-Stars is very reasonably priced on eBay- You can probably get both for under $100.

14. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

agentalbert: The Game Boy Player is an accessory for the GameCube which screws into the bottom of the GameCube and costs around $20 on the used market. With that, you can play any Game Boy or Game Boy Advance game including the Mario 3 cartridge through the GameCube to your TV. It was an official accessory.

Apparently you can get one at GameStop for $10.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=900566&affid=9797

Both the Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advance versions are spruced up versions of the original, BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jomEPtkUE

15. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Secret of Mana, one of my favorite games ever.

Hutch and Agent57 like this.
  16. BTails

BTails New Member

The Super Nintendo is amazing. I used to play it ALL THE TIME, and loved every minute. Final Fantasy 6 (released as 3 in North America) is one of the best video games ever made.

17. NickM

NickM New Member

I just got the NEW Super Mario Bros game for Wii. It was on sale at Target.

I like it a lot and the Wii controller feels very similar to the old NES controller when held sideways.

18. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

You folks will defiantly love these pictures of my room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Agent57 likes this.
  19. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

What's the portable with the red buttons?

20. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think SNES graphics were amazing for the time but it played a bit slow at least on Pal/50Hz. Sega Genesis was faster speed-wise.

21. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I loved playing Chrono Trigger so much that I bought the version that came out on the Sony Playstation.

Too bad my Playstation bit the bullet a couple of years ago. Wonderful game.

22. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

The SNES version of Zelda ("A Link to the Past") is a fantastic game, almost as great as the original Legend of Zelda. I still hook up my SNES every once in a long while and replay Zelda.

23. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I can still own on Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii. But hooking up the SNES and trying to win on Super Mario Kart is near impossible for me now. I used to kill at that game, now my skills on it are zero. It feels sooo slow to me too.

24. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

+1 :agree:

25. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.