Super Nintendo games

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

Still one of my favorites. Got it for like $10-$20 10 years ago.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

To everyone who PM'd me: I have a master list of what I have that has gone missing. I am in the process of tearing up my house looking for it (the games themselves are boxed away in our new apt., which is currently undrgoing massive renovations, so they're hard to get at right now). If you are looking for specific titles, ask, I know what's in there if I hear it. Stay tuned for further developments!:help:

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I have an NES and an N64. Was thinking about picking up an old SNES and some games. Anything in particular I should look for or watch out for? Was there on ly one model SNES?

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

There's two, but the 2nd model was released very very late in the system's life and you don't run into them very often. Don't know for sure if the 2nd version has any real hardware differences, but it's smaller and "sleeked-down" compared to the original (and thus probably cheaper-feeling all around).

5. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

There were 2. An earlier, main production model and a mini-system.

Also, watch out for certain models rolled out that have the degraded plastic which makes it turn yellow.

I have mine, still have the box and accessories - it's actually hooked up to my 32" Bravia LCD I use for gaming with the OEM Super-S cable and it looks great!

6. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

For reference sake, here's what the smaller 2nd model looks like:

[​IMG]

And to reply to my own post, apparently the only real hardware difference between the two versions is that the "new" version eliminated the option for S-Video output.

7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Lame! SNES looks awesome in s-video.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Okay, well I definitely want the first model then, if I can find it. Thanks for the posts everyone.

9. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I had the original NES and then got a Gamecube in the 2000s - actually getting the Gameboy player was a selling point to me to get the system so I could play some games from the older era. I loved Zelda - Link to the Past. What a great game.

10. Spirit Crusher

Funnily enough I still have my SNES link to the Past - came with the system - and I've been playing it on GBA. I plan on selling both, sadly - I tell you, at this point in my life, games like this are a chore.

11. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

Nothing like a game of Techmo Bowl. For you retro gamers, if you're not familar with the RetroN system, you should definitely check it out Here! It allows you to play NES, SNES and GENESIS games all with one system and it's priced right too.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I got one.

13. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

If you're into rpg/adventure games like me, the SNES is still among the finer systems out there to find incredible titles. So many classics..

Arcana
    Breath of Fire 1
    Breath of Fire 2
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound (Mother 2)
    Estopolis 1 (Lufia & the Fortress of Doom)
    Final Fantasy 2
    Final Fantasy 3
    Illusion of Gaia (Soul Blazer 2) (Illusion of Time)
    Illusion of Time (Soul Blazer 2) (Illusion of Gaia)
    Lufia & the Fortress of Doom (Estopolis 1)
    Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (Estopolis 2)
    Might & Magic 3: Isles of Terra
    Secret of Evermore
    Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2)
    Soul Blazer
    Soul Blazer 2 (Illusion of Gaia) (Illusion of Time)
    Soul Blazer 3 (Terranigma)
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Terranigma (Soul Blazer 3)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Ultima 6: The False Prophet
    Ultima 7: The Black Gate
    Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, my local used book store that sells lots of retro game stuff are authorized dealers of Hyperkin product and they do carry the RetroN systems. Go to http://hyperkin.com/ for the catalog and then write to the store at https://www.facebook.com/booksnmorebemidji asking that you'd want to buy one and they do send stuff out in the mail all the time.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Does anyone own and use a RetroN system? It looks intriguing, but I'd like to know what the downside is to having one as opposed to the original systems.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's a review

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It would be amazing if Nintendo made an official console like this. I don't see that happening, though.

18. BradOlson

BTW, the store in my area that sells Hyperkin product only has the original RetroN, the RetroN 2, and the RetroN 3 in stock as Hyperkin's warehouse has the RetroN 5 out of stock at the moment. With the quirks in the RetroN 5, I would prefer RetroN 3 if you want one of these types of systems.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah! They'd make a mint if they'd put out a system that played NES, SNES, and first generation Game Boy Games! They could sell it for $200 and it would fly off the shelves as retro gamers buy them. :)

The Hud likes this.
  20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

A gorgeous game with an epic ending.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

One of the first "sandbox" games, had a blast exploring the little towns.

22. Spirit Crusher

I'm keeping up with the Retron 5 on the digitpress forums, sounds like the bugs are being worked out with firmware releases. Seems like it's not available now? Prices are high. Sounds/looks very cool (except for reportedly not very high build quality), though - playing these games - plus GBA! - in 720p.

23. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Be careful of those all in one systems. Several I have checked out have very poor reviews.

24. BradOlson

RetroN 3 is a great all in one system though Spaceman. I have seen it in action at the bookstore in this area that sells these systems.

25. BradOlson

As I said, Hyperkin has the RetroN 5 out of stock. Check out www.hyperkin.com for stock information but only authorized dealers can order from the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.