((((( Super Size Me ))))) A Film Of Epic Portions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Leppo, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

I give filmmaker Morgan Spurlock the Best Director award just for succeeding with his mission of living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules:

1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!)
    2) No supersizing unless offered
    3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once

I couldn't do it. :shake:

Please share your Super Size Me comments.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'd love to see it, but unfortunately, it's not playing here.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Talked to two people who saw it. Howard Stern said he loved it.

I just saw the trailer. Let's just say McDonald's stock would go right in the pooper once this hits home video, because that's where a lot will see it.

Hopefully it will shock and shake the way Americans are eating.

It's in my area in June.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

The day before it came out McDonalds removed SuperSizing from the menu, claiming the movie had nothing to do with that decision. heh.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Here, McDonalds still asks if you want to supersize it.

7. Just as an aside, Morgan was my high school class president here in West Virginia. I got an e-mail from him about 18 months ago when his show was on MTV, out of the blue just basically saying hello. He's always been a great, easy-going, funny guy.

8. Leppo

Are we Living in a Toxic Food Environment?

Any comments regarding the charge that Americans are living in a toxic food environment? :)

9. Grant

Fingerpointing aside, I think we really are responsible for our own health, despite what we may eat. I'm responsible for my health. I can't blame anyone else but myself, not Micky-D's, not Stouffurs, not Nabisco, not Pepsico, just me!

10. Leppo

Yes, but how would you describe American's food environment. Is it really toxic? :agree:

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I think, if you're talking long-term, the answer is yes.

Evan

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We clearly our responsible for our own health - the question becomes one connected to lies in advertising. If McDonald's promotes itself as a healthy choice, then one might assume one can eat there all the time and prosper. I've not seen "Supersize Me", but I think that's his point. Granted, one also assumes that no one's stupid enough to believe the advertising, but that's probably not a good assumption...

13. GregY

GregY New Member

Wait, some corporations lie to us? The heck you say!

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Heck - yer gonna all live forever - ax for extra Secret Sauce on the Big Mac!

I have an itinerant job and lunch usually doesn't happen, but every now and then I'll stop at the McDonald's in Boonville, Indiana. Best one I've ever been to, food is always hot and they have a 30 second timer for delivery; once you get to the pick-up window, the timer starts and the food gets to you before the time is up - if not, you get a coupon for a sandwich.

Sheesh - I got slightly off track! I'm with Grant here - everybody knows that McDonald's ain't a healthy choice. Don't eat there every day. Part of the healthy food/dining out problem seems to me that folks don't wanna prepare meals at home - it's tough if two parents work and there's kids participating in a zillion activities to make meals from scratch. I don't wanna smell up my house deep frying stuff, so an occasional fast food visit satisfies the urge...

15. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Sckott- Are you saying a lot of people will see this movie in the pooper? Cause I was thinking about getting that tv in the bathroom...

16. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I can't wait to see it. Sounds like a Michael Moore-fest, even though not done by him.

17. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

McD's responsibility is dubious at best. Sure as adults we make choices for our health. But when kids starting at age 2-3 are bombarded with ads directed at them until they are teenagers, it's almost become a way of life. How are people who just see the ads are to believe the food is bad for you? I have met people who eat McDs everyday. It's amazing, they are not morbid obese, but are not that healty looking either. But, based on their stories, they don't do it to destroy their health, but because they don't know any better, kind of sad. I feel fortunate that my family rarely went to McDs and I really didn't start to eat much there until 16. I feel sorry for the kids who started eating there at 4 years old and haven't stopped since.

18. Grant

I this, along with the Michael Moor movies are going to be a new treand. Just wait until the big corporations start putting their spin on things.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

How can eating Big Macs everyday be bad for you? :D

Also read the book "Fast Food Nation"....fascinating stuff about America's mega-corporation food industry.

20. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Anyone with even 1/2 a brain - regardless of status and bank account - knows that eating fast food every meal, every day is bad. That said, when the $0.29 hamburger is in your price range ...

Actually, in the UK (where I just was), McD's has always had a healthy option. The new version of their veggie burger is actually really good (made by a company called Quorn). The old one wasn't bad either, to be honest. And the fries there don't have beef flavoring :) McD has no veggie burger here. BK does, but it's mediocre at best.

I want to see this one when I get a chance. What's scary is some of the side effects it caused besides the weight gain!

21. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

I'd like to hear how many people you've met that eat McD's every day, and how did you come about to know their stories. Sounds intersting.

22. Grant

I eat McDonalds, but not every day! I eat it because it's fast and convenient. I don't always have time to cook. But, i'm also used to eating fast food, so it doesn't bother me. No stomach upsets or anything.

23. chrischross

chrischross New Member

I saw this Sunday night, and yes it is definitely in the style of Michael Moore, albeit much funnier. The post drive-thru scene on Day 3 is not to be missed! :D

It's kind of a "Scared Straight" for those of us with the fast food habit.

24. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

I saw Morgan last night on a local talk show - the movie is opening here - and the premise is really interesting. He didn't even make the full month on the fast food diet, due to his doctor's advice that it might kill him. :laugh:

I'm probably the odd man out in this forum, as I am amongst friends here, in that I have never ever eaten Macca's, or been in their restaurants. :shake:

The whole concept of Macca's production line food, and the slick big bucks marketing that has accompanied it, has always been something I've shied away from. :hurl:

Good time - says who?
    Great taste - are they delusional?

25. Grant

I bought this DVD last week, and it did make me think hard about what I eat and what effect relentless corporate advertising has on us.

What bothered be is that indeed these major chains have to ensure that their food looks, smells, and tastes consistient throughout each store, and they will do what they must to keep it that way. This fact was driven home when they put the different types of burgers into jars and let them naturally rot. The fries, in particular, never once decomposed. They, at least, looked exactly the same as they sis when fresh. It makes you wonder what they put on them.

What I thought was bogus was that a vegen ate that Micky-D diet for one month. Of course his health is going to deteriorate quickly! His body is not used to digesting meats and chemicals. His digestive tract probably doesn't even have the proper enzymes to do it.

But, still, we control what food we eat, and I, for one, am going to cut way back on resturaunt fast food. Next, I will tackle processed/frozen food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.