((((( Super Size Me ))))) A Film Of Epic Portions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Leppo, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I thought rule 2 was: If they ask him if he wanted to Super Size it, he HAD to say yes.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They did in Texas...

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Paulie's never invited you to dinner, Ben? :D

Evan

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

No, Leppo had it right.

And the guy is not a vegan or a vegetarian. His girlfriend is a vegan chef, so when she prepares meals, those will of course be meatless, as was his last meal before the "experiment." The film even has a scene with the two of them arguing about their diet preferences.

No vegan would eat meat... that's the whole point of being a vegan...

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

As a bona-fide meat eater, I can also say that I've made my point about McD's by just not eating there! (Then again, does that funky looking biscuit actually qualify as "meat"? Hmmm.... :D )

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Yeah... I enjoy meat too much to eat there.

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I finally saw this film and was surprisingly disappointed. I won't bother to type a lengthy critique here, but the main reason I did not like the film is that I just didn't find it funny (at all). If anything I found it tedious. The sanctimonious attitude of the director's vegan significant other didn't help -- and I feel that I have license to make this critique as a former sanctimonious vegan myself, though I never became so absurd as to equate meat with heroin. While Michael Moore succeeds at getting "real people" to be absurd, funny, and profound on camera, I cannot say that I found any of the "talking heads" in "Super Size Me" particularly compelling. My opinion is that Morgan Spurlock lacks the wit of Michael Moore, but what can we expect of a guy whose previous claim to fame was a short-lived MTV show that featured people eating disgusting things like hair and dog feces?

As a documentary I would give it only a fair rating. The subject matter is pretty obvious, so there really are no "a-ha" moments. (Who wouldn't know that eating nothing but McDonald's isn't a good idea?). Because the film's subject isn't particularly complex, it failed to grab my attention. (I was close to turning it off at a few different points and, truth be told, I fast forwarded through the gastric bypass surgery scene.)

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I didn't rush to see this in the theater because of the obvious premise (of course eating that much fast food could kill ya). But I will catch up with it on DVD.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The film wasn't supposed to be funny. It's sad comment on our society that, along with the the Michael Moore films, that Hollyweird has to market these serious subjects as being humorous in order to get the mindless millions to watch them.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't know if the filmmaker intended the film to be funny, but many viewers seem to react to it as if it's a comedy-documentary.

11. MJM

MJM Forum Resident

I recall reading about this documentary many months ago, but I never came across this thread until now. Since it's now on home video, I'll check it out. Either that, or watch it on Showtime. Apparently Showtime will be the first network to broadcast it. I say what the hell--I barely eat at McDonald's anyhow. For my 5 bucks, Wendy's is much better! :D

MJM

12. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

Or was it? :confused:

Attached Files:

13. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

My GF and I saw the film about 5 months ago and haven't been to a
    McDonalds since. Morgan Spurlock's GF (Alexandra Jamieson) sure
    looks young to us - she could pass for a 18 or 19 year old even though
    she's probably in her late twenties or early thirties. Must be her clean
    diet.