Superfly' Actor Ron O'Neal Dies at 66

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=4&u=/ap/20040116/ap_en_mo/obit_o_neal

Superfly' Actor Ron O'Neal Dies at 66

LOS ANGELES - Actor Ron O'Neal, best known for starring in two "Superfly" blaxploitation movies in the 1970s, has died. O'Neal, who was 66, died Wednesday night at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after a long battle with cancer, his wife said.

O'Neal played a cocaine dealer named Youngblood Priest in "Superfly" and the sequel, "Superfly TNT," which he also directed. Though known for his work as a street tough character in the films, O'Neal also was a stage actor. In fact, it was his performance in Joseph Papp's Public Theater production of "No Place To Be Somebody" that brought O'Neal to the attention of the producers of "Superfly."

Following the "Superfly" films, O'Neal had a long career as a character actor on television and in movies, appearing in low-budget films like "Mercenary Fighters" in 1987 and "Up Against the Wall" in 1991, which he also directed. In 1996, he joined Jim Brown (news), Fred Williamson, Richard Roundtree (news) and Pam Grier (news) in a reunion of blaxploitation superstars in the film "Original Gangstas."

O'Neal capped his career two years ago with a performance in "On The Edge," teaming again with Fred Williamson and Ice-T.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

In an odd coincidence with Mr. O'Neal's untimely passing, Superfly debuted on DVD this week.

RIP :(

Regards,

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, SUPERFLY was released on DVD on Tuesday, the day before O'Neill died. I have bought it but I am waiting untill a party on Monday night to watch it. This is certainly a strange cosmic fluke.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well I finally watched my Superfly disc, and I was very pleased with the quality. You have to remember that this movie was never a visual or a sonic gem, but they did do a good job with the transfer. It is a widescreen release, and the quality of the video transfer is very even throughout, it is bright and not very grainy. The sound is dolby digital mono, and leaves a lot to be desired, but in Neo Cinema 6 surround sound, it did sound good and of an even quality through out. This movie is cheesy, but to the younger crowd that has neer seen it, it is a delight and should be enjoyed for what it is; a cheaply made "B" flick that capitolizes on the 1970's drug culture.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And in a depressing example of reverse karma, Ryan O'Neal remains alive.

:angel:

6. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Well said, brother!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.