Superheavy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jiminiss, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Never Gonna Change sounds great but it's all Mick! It could almost pass a Stones song.

Everything else I've heard has been average.

2. I think this group needed a really hot lead guitarist to really boost the proceedings.

So far the track "Satyameva Jayathe" is easily my favourite. :thumbsup:

3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

This is a GREAT album! I am really diggin' it. Give it time, folks, I promise you it's a grower!!! Even Damian Marley which I found irritating to begin with, is really great in his vocal delivery. Great songs on this record.

I bought it on vinyl (gz vinyl manufactured), and it's a nearly dead-quiet pressing with nearly zero surface noise.

The music on this vinyl record just BREATHES. I can't recommend this vinyl edition enough.

Anyway, for the collectors on this board, I have collected a list of the rarities popping up besides the regular album issue:

1. Mahiya (Superheavey Deluxe Edition bonus track)
    2. Warring People (Superheavey Deluxe Edition bonus track)
    3. Common Ground (Superheavey Deluxe Edition bonus track)
    4. Hey Captain (Superheavey Deluxe Edition bonus track)
    5. Never Gonna Change (Acoustic Version) (Japanese bonus track)
    6. Miracle Worker (Chris Lord-Alge Radio Mix) (iTunes single)
    7. Miracle Worker (Damian “Jr Gong” Marley Main Mix – Radio Edit) (iTunes single)
    8. Miracle Worker (Ashley Beedle’s Warbox Remix) (iTunes exclusive)

4. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Sure, they all look like they're having a great time but the music just stinks. Horrible. Mick would rather do this than work with Keith? Man, he must really be pissed about Keiths book!

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I would rather hear Mick do this, than another Rolling Stones tour/album/whatever!

6. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Well, it's hard to argue with this statement as well. Even though what I've heard of this new music stinks (IMHO), at least Mick still wants to do something new. He could just sit back and do nothing or do the above album/tour bit.

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

This is not doing it for me, though I had high hopes. I think if Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart were both 20 years younger maybe.

Sorry, not my cup of tea. And I'm not a maniacal Stones fan either.

8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see Music Direct has this on Universal Records vinyl. Has anyone heard the US pressing? The GZ label seems to get good marks according to MHP.

9. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

I got a good laugh out of Uncut Magazine referring to this album as Rolling Stone Magazine's Album of the Year 1998! :laugh:

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

At least the Metallica/Lou Reed sample was only 38 seconds.

11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I compare SuperHeavy to The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka.

The difference being with Zaireeka is that there are 4 CDs designed to be played at the same time.

SuperHeavy sounds like 4 CDs by 4 different artists being played at the same time.

12. heart2282

heart2282 New Member

Heart's "Dreamboat Annnie" 2nd re-issues

Does anyone know of a re-master, of the first re-masters of Heart's "Dreamboat Annie"? If so, please give me the details as in, what country issued it, what company, where I might be able to find one ON Compact disc. thanks. I've found two different copies of the cd that were made in Japan and the sellers wrote back and told me on each one that they were both the original re-masters but that there were second re-masters out. Please help

13. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed! Especially hearing him doing jazz vocals as he goes gentley into his last decade or two of recording. I find his vocals on One day/One Night the best he's done using his "older" voice. Lot of subltle and not so subtle work there; and hints that he may well not be irrelevant as a singer in this century.

Cool!

14. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Mick vocals in the Ian Stewart tribute album were the finest he has done since the Voodoo Lounge days. Great Chess Records feel!

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I didn't know there is a different pressing. Seems strange to me, as the ABKCO Stones vinyl box also used GZ vinyl and where distributed in the US and EU via Universal.:confused:

16. jiminiss

"NEver Gonna Change" written by Jagger/Stewart is the best new Stones song I've heard in, possibly, decades. It opens side two. I am now hoping they continue the partnership and produce an album's worth of tracks together. This song could have held a shining spot on Beggars Banquet or Sticky Fingers. Yup, ith's THAT good. Jagger still gots it!!! who knew?

17. jiminiss

weird, I just lost a post. well, in any case: The 1st song on side two of the vinyl is called "Never gonna Change". It is written by Jagger/Stewart. It is the best new Stones song I've heard in decades. It would have stood proudly on Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers. Yes, I think it is that good. Probably the best thing on this. Almost all the rest is just pop beside it. Enjoyable, but...even Jagger's I Can't Take IT is "pop produced", but the material is quite good. I Don't MInd is in the ballpark though, another very good song (by Jagger/Stewart/Stone/Marley).

Gimme an lp of Never gonna Change!!!

18. jiminiss

My U.S. vinyl will be exchanged as it came from Amazon warped. There is noise between every cut, though ALMOST all of the songs have a quiet backround 100% of the time... a bit of noise at the start of a couple. But the overall sound of the album is pretty good. It is not brickwalled or compressed to total ruin. It sounds organic, very musical. There are actual dynamics; and space around the instruments. The bass sounds beautiful - and it is beautifully played by Courtney Deidrick (1 cut is a bit more slammin' and also killer by James Clark).

mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

My copy was pretty warped as well and Amazon exchanged so I'm afraid the next one will be too. The vinyl was dead quiet. I thought it sounded so much better than the CD. This is how an LP should sound. Too bad it was warped. Amazon LP mailers are the worst.

20. jiminiss

I'm relistening to side B and have to agree with howlinRock, this does sound very very good on vinyl. Posted here to say that I Don' Mind sounds even better the 2nd time around on vinyl.

The songs that I hear as being less fantastic are all beginning to grow on me. Also, if yer unhappy in a given moment, wait one second and the style will morph.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The Jagger/Stewart collaboration "Old Habits Die Hard" from the Alfie soundtrack is another brilliant song. You should check that out if you haven't heard it.

The SuperHeavy album isn't quite as good as I hoped it would be, but I stil find it to be an interesting record. I'll agree with those who have noted that Damien Marley stands out, and that this album provides Joss Stone with a better context in which to show off her talents than any of her solo albums. In interviews, the band have admitted that they made up a lot of the material on the spot in the studio, and that is pretty obvious. But, for me, anyway, the multicultural blend of different sounds and styles is enough to make up for some of the weaker songs. And when they do write a good song, as in "Miracle Worker," the result is a lot of fun.

I hope that SuperHeavy make a second album and put a little more effort upfront into the songwriting before they enter the studio.

23. jiminiss

This is the first bad mailing I've had from them in a long, long time. Having read that yours was warped also, I am returning mine tomorrow for a refund. I will pick up a copy locally at Newberry Comix asap.

24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I just got to hear this yesterday. It is AWESOME! This is some real WORLD music.

Thanks Dave Stewart for spearheading this project!

25. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm quite content with this release "I Don't Mind" and "Never Gonna Change" are excellent tracks.

I hope the new vinyl won't be as warped as the first one. I'll find out later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.