Superior Viaduct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steven Belkin, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Belkin

Steven Belkin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on any of the records released by the label Superior Viaduct? The pricepoint for the records are right and they are reissuing some critical titles and I was wondering about the overall quality of the product they are putting out.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident

I'm curious about these as well. Has anyone had any experience with them?

3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

4. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I only have the Devos and 100 Flowers, and they are quite lovingly and excellently done. And I've got a friend who swears by them, so I wouldn't hesitate if they've got a title you want.

5. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

The recent Heldon- Interface LP is fantastic.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  6. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I have the Devo titles and they are very well done.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They're doing The Residents -
    Santa Dog 2 x 7" !!!

Mr. H likes this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

And an expanded Residue.

Scope J likes this.
  9. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I've bought a few releases from them. Very pleased. Also very excited about what's coming up. Certainly a reissue label to watch.

10. Just got my first order from these guys and couldn't be more pleased with the experience. I got the Santa Dog repro, which looks so nice I'm almost afraid to open it, as well as the CD reissues of A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die by the Flesh Eaters and Fire of Love by the Gun Club. Both come in digipacks with inserts featuring pictures and liner notes - and in the case of A Minute To Pray, it folds out into a 10"x10" mini-poster with lyrics on one side. As for the most important element: the sound quality sounds just fine to me, although I don't have other legit issues (digital or vinyl) with which to compare them on hand. But I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Sounds clear, non-fatiguing, probably as good as the original tapes could sound.

Fast shipping, too - it went out from LA last Friday and it arrived in Ottawa on Thursday, nice and sturdily packed. So: buy with confidence!

11. cidrolin

cidrolin Forum Resident

Anyone knows about the vinyl sources? I asked them via email few days ago, no answer so far...

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Why-a-no-chicken?

vince likes this.
  13. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

I notice that on the website some vinyl releases (Sleepers, MX 80 Sound) state they are from original analog masters, some don't. I suspect that when they have analog master tapes they will say so. Whether there is a digital step in there somewhere... no idea.

AcidPunk15 and cidrolin like this.
  14. cidrolin

cidrolin Forum Resident

They answered. I asked specifically about Heldon and Brigitte Fontaine reissues.
    "For those releases, we used digital sources provided directly by the original labels. All of our records are mastered at Fantasy, which is widely considered to be the best studio on the West Coast."

15. cidrolin

cidrolin Forum Resident

I asked also if they used high rez files for those albums, here the kind answer:
    "Sorry, I’m not sure the answer to your bitrate question. Our mastering department is busy working on other projects right now, so I doubt they have the time to go back and check for you."
    So i'll get the Cuneiform cd and bye bye Superior Viaduct.

16. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Superior Viaduct are reissuing The Black Saint and Sinner Lady and Mingus Plays Piano, both stated to be from the original tapes. Hell of a score licensing the former for sure, seems on the face of it to suggest that Universal don't have much interest in having a decent run at Impulse reissues. Since SV did A Monastic Trio I emailed them a few months back to ask if they were doing any more Impulses - Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders stuff specifically. They did say more was forthcoming, including more Alice Coltrane, though they didn't give specifics :cool:

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Viaduct, why not a Chicken or a Turkey?

18. For what it's worth: SV are having a sale on all their CDs until next Friday, so if you've been on the fence about checking out any of their titles, now's the time to take the plunge.

19. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Love this label. However, I was really disappointed with my Flesh Eaters vinyl. It was really noisy with a terrible, loud swooshing noise throughout the whole album. Maybe I was just unlucky with this one. Great music though.

20. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

So can anyone vouch for/review the Alice Coltrane -Monastic Trio LP? I'm curious if I should seek out alternative pressings. I'm not certain I can trust them on Mingus until I hear a review of those either, but I remain hopeful that original tapes means it's and analog experience. Any words are appreciated. Cheers!

21. Mateo Sanboval

I'm giving this thread a bump as the Mingus reissues have shipped and I'm (still) curious for any thoughts on quality. Cheers!

22. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Universal Consciousness is one of the Alice Coltranes they're doing then :)

I have a friend with the Monastic Trio LP and he likes it, though he's not as picky about sound quality as I am. The only SV release I have at the moment is Comme a la Radio which sounds pretty good to me though the pressing is a tad on the rough side.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  23. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I got Black Saint a couple of days ago. Sounds good to me, though I hardly consider myself expert.

This was one of the first CDs I got when I was first getting into jazz, about 25 years ago, and the first one I really loved. My original CD got swiped, and I replaced it with the remastered CD, which I haven't really ever enjoyed listening to as much. This vinyl edition sounds a lot like I remember the original CD sounding.

I can say, the gatefold is heavy and beautiful, and the vinyl is flat and quiet. I'm glad I picked it up!

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  24. Mateo Sanboval

Thanks for the responses, folks.

25. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i have both Devo hardcores on vinyl. no issue, sound quality is what it is and little to do with SV, but they sound fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.