Superman - Cavill Out!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

15 years ago, I would've agreed, but I think the "good Smith" is essentially dead. He's created mainly crap for a long time now! :sigh:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm a fan of him, but I don't see it happening.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you may be wrong on this...he's Superman! LOL.

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The difference though is that Downey has had three solo films as Iron Man/Stark plus a central role in the Avengers films BEFORE his cameo in Spider-Man Homecoming. Sam Jackson is playing a supporting character. Cavill has arguably only had one honest to God Superman film and really was a guest star in his own sequel and had essentially a glorified cameo in JL. Now they are asking him to do a cameo in another film and probably others with no solid plans to do another Superman film with him as the star.

Warners expects him to be constantly on call to show up in other movies with no real game plan on his own film. Add in the recent talk of a Supergirl movie and I can understand him being frustrated that he's being slowly phased out of the cinematic universe his character is supposed to be a lynchpin of.

I'm sure to Cavill it seems like Warner Bros is almost punishing him for their own mistakes. It wasn't Henry Cavill who decided to stake their entire cinematic universe on Zack Snyder. It's Warner Brothers. I'm sure he just wants to have something concrete to work on and He's probably been offered other film work that he really can't commit to if he's gotta stay " Superman shape" for random cameos.

I guarantee if RDJ were put in a similar situation he would be balking at having to settle for cameos in other films.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    eddiel, Walt and Encuentro like this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

You would think with all of the Superman comic books out that there is a great story that could be developed into Man of Steel 2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think if Cavill had been a team player, he would've done the cameo anyway. I would bet one of the problems was, WB was not willing to guarantee him he would have future jobs as Superman in future films.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tellyawhat, I just saw the latest Mission Impossible. This might've been the only work of his I've seen outside of his Superman work. Dude seemed stiff as a board, barely c-list, I was really surprised. Got me to thinking how popular opinion sez Cavill's version is darker and more modern where as Reeve's is lighter and more campy. But I keep thinking about the 1st interview scene (I like pink!), I think Reeve's acting chops were far superior to Cavill's. Jokes are made about how little dialog he's actually had in 3 films, I'm wondering whether he could handle a deep, nuanced script!

Bobby Buckshot and Vidiot like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Waiting for the heading
    Craig out Cavill in. :D

bherbert and PH416156 like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It’s interesting that Zack Snyder takes all of the heat for these movies. Directors can take a few liberties, but they can’t go hog wild. They’re still beholden to what is written for them. Man of Steel was written by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Batman v Superman was written by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer. Justice League was written by Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder. So Snyder co-wrote one film but was the recipient of the vast majority of the criticisms.

Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote Man of Steel, said that the film was not intended to be part of a shared DC universe.

Nolan admired Bryan Singer's work on Superman Returns for its connection to Richard Donner's version, stating that "A lot of people have approached Superman in a lot of different ways. I only know the way that has worked for us that's what I know how to do," emphasizing the idea that Batman exists in a world where he is the only superhero and a similar approach to the Man of Steel would assure the integrity needed for the film. "Each serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other."
    Man of Steel (film) - Wikipedia

That’s the way I prefer these movies, with a given superhero being the only superhero that exists in that story’s context. A Superman movie is a Superman movie. A Batman movie is a Batman movie. I’m not a fan of crossovers, one of the many reasons I’m not a fan of the MCU generally and the Avengers movies particularly. I resisted watching Spider-Man: Homecoming for this very reason. They had to go and throw Iron Man in there.

Unfortunately, DC tried to take a page from Marvel’s book in attempting to create a shared universe. It hasn’t worked very well. Thankfully, they seem to be backing away from it, and focusing on standalone movies with perhaps a few cameos and multi- character films here and there like Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2. But it seems that DC is done with Justice League, and that’s a good thing.

Of the movies coming down the pike, the two I find the most interesting are Batgirl and Supergirl. I’m curious to see who they cast in both roles.

10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I haven't seen any of the recent DC movies because I've become so burnt out by movies, and Green Lantern was such a disappointment. The animated series have been so much better.

I strongly agree. The repeated origins is one of the reasons I've lost my enthusiasm for the movies. Using Superman as an example, rather than include an origin in the movie, just put Superman - The Movie on television and direct people to see that if they want the origin of Superman, and jump right into the action with the next movie.

I STRONGLY agree. DC has such a depth of characters/teams that it seems a waste not to use them. The only question should be whether it should be a movie or a TV series. One of my favorite DC groups is The Metal Men (six robots each made of a different metal that have T-1000 shape-shifting abilities and human-like personalities) but I don't think they would work as a movie but could be outstanding as a TV series.

Even some of the odd DC characters/teams could be the basis for a successful series/movie. One that would be interesting is The Inferior Five. They are a team composed of five individuals who are the children of super-heroes. Unfortunately, they aren't the most competent superheroes (one member, Merryman who has no superpowers, dresses as a court jester because he knows just how silly he looks as a superhero).

There are a large number of stories that could work on the big/small screen. A problem is the amount of time it would take to tell the story. As an example, to tell the full story of The Death Of Superman it would take four movies which would break down as follows:
    1. Superman and Doomsday fight (Doomsday's already taken out the entire Justice League) and Superman dies.
    2. A world without Superman.
    3. Four "supermen" arise, each of whom seems to have aspects of the true Superman.
    4. The real villain is revealed and Superman must defeat him.
    Like the above, most comic books stories would take a long time to fully tell. An example of this is the miniseries Infinite Crisis, a seven-issue miniseries that took a 350-page novel to tell the story and was 13 hours as an audio book.

Encuentro and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

RDJ did a cameo in 2008's "Incredible Hulk" as well...

12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Indeed :righton:

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Makes perfect sense to me.

bherbert likes this.
  14. alexpop

Next Superman, who's going to play him? Don't really care. I liked Superman comics in the very early sixties, till about 1962/63. Never liked Batman ( ok Adam West was cool).

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Hopefully nobody. We really don’t need another Superman movie IMO.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Prefer another Bond film myself.:)

bherbert likes this.
  17. Chazro

After watching Cavill in Mission Impossible I'm convinced he'd be a franchise-ending awful Bond! And I'd like to give him one last shot at Supes, if he could salvage the franchise he'd be considered a superhero!;) Different strokes!

David Campbell and Encuentro like this.
  18. alexpop

Bad in that, also UNCLE. Still think he'd make a good James Bond.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW...as a longtime fan of the[Superman]comic book and movies-please do not cast-Micheal B. Jordan -IT WON'T WORK...oh and I'm black!!

David Campbell likes this.
  20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm apparently one of the few that don't view Justice League as a disaster. The writers had to introduce two new characters (Aquaman and Flash) and actors, plus give them all screen time to both integrate the characters and shine individually. Compare this to The Avengers, whose lead characters had two or three individual movies each to develop.

For these reasons, DC/Warners would be fools not to give the other characters solo movies, and Cavill would be a fool to not help develop the Shazam movie.

21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What about Idris Elba?

I don't think the color of Superman's skin is as important as the color of the uniform. Get a good actor with a good script, and most people will be happy with the movie.

The good script seems to be the tough part.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Every character in Justice League has a solo movie in development with the exception of Superman, ironic considering that he’s arguably the most iconic superhero of all time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    The Hud likes this.
  23. Chazro

Michael B.Jordan & Idris Elba are too easy as picks. You know who would look the part; Taye Diggs! As A Superman, not THE Superman!;)

24. mknopfler

mknopfler Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to see a movie about Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X with Tom Hanks and Danny Devito in the starring roles.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

False equivalency. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X were real people. Superman is make-believe. And yes, a black actor can play Superman because Superman is not defined by the color of his skin but by the content of his character. Thank you very much, Martin Luther King Jr.

The Hud and jimbutsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.