Superman - Cavill Out!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To be fair, David S. Goyer wrote the script. Nolan just provided a story which he co-wrote with Goyer. Nolan was a producer though. I actually think that taking the approach that they did was daring and, as time passes, I think it will be eventually appreciated as a good film that juggled a lot of difficult themes and tried really hard to rethink an iconic character.

The problem was more that DC tried to rush the "shared universe" before developing the films for the other characters and, frankly, Justice League went through so much post-production meddling and rushed to production. Marvel took the wise approach and gradually developed the shared universe so that "The Avengers" felt natural (although "Ultron" wasn't as good--I love Joss Whedon's work when it's good. There are moments in both "Batman v Superman" that are quite good (mostly the Batman solo sequences) and "JL" likewise has its moments the problem was that the bad guy wasn't as well developed as could be and beyond being a bad guy, his motivation wasn't exactly clear. The CGI was horrific for him. Those moments in both films didn't add up to great or even good movies IMHO. It was like polishing a turd and the reworked material by Whedon was far from seamless and, frankly, may have made the film worse.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're not alone on "JL", as I liked it too. Shorter, faster and more fun than the others.

Already an Aquaman movie due out later this year, and of course another WW comes out next year.

There's a Flash movie on tap for 2020 as well, and IMDB lists a 2020 Cyborg flick as "announced"...

cdash99 and Encuentro like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Nah - make it Clooney and Pitt and turn it into a buddy comedy...

David Campbell likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

EXACTLY!

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This is one of the possibilities that could be done in the logic of the DC Multiverse. Consider the following (all are part of the DC Multiverse as laid out in Multiversity):
    • Earth-2: The new Superman is black (the original was killed by Darkseid).
    • Earth-10: Superman's rocket landed in Nazi-Controlled Czechoslovakia in 1938, Due to this, Germany won WWII.
    • Earth-11: A gender-flipped world with Superwoman, Batwoman, and Wonderous Man.
    • Earth-13: A magic-based world where the Etrigan The Demon came to Earth from a doomed planet and became Superdemon.
    • Earth-23: Superman is black and (in his alter ego) President of the United States.
    • Earth-30: The Superman of Red Son (where his rocket landed in Soviet Russia).
    • Earth-32: The heroes are fusions of heroes of the DC Universe, resulting in Super-Martian, Wonderhawk, Bat-Lantern, and Aquaflash.
    • Earth-43: A world of vampires...which includes The Blood League (a vampire version of the Justice League).
    • Earth-44: Since there were no superheroes, Doc Tornado built some (The Metal League, including Iron Superman)
    • Earth-45: Superman was created by a thought-generation machine but was corrupted into Superdoomsday.
    • Earth-47: A world where the Summer of Love never ended and features Sunshine Superman.
    • Earth-50: Features The Justice Lords, with a Superman who executed Lex Luthor for killing The Flash, and then led them into taking complete control of the world.
    As the above shows, the logic of the DC Multiverse allows for many possibilities that can be in continuity (Multiversity lists seven Earths that are undocumented and are a mystery). I think a Superman who is black could be done, they just have to set it on a different version of Earth where things happened differently. This, in turn, could lead to some interesting story possibilities. Among them: A Superman is facing a threat that he can't handle...but two Supermen can or maybe three can.

The Hud, Encuentro and David Campbell like this.
  6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Haaaaaaaaa,or how bout a film about Thomas Jefferson with Kevin Hart as ol Thom??

7. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Lin-Manuel Miranda would like a word...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The CW’s DC multiverse spans four shows (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and The Legends of Tomorrow). They have multiple crossover episodes and each series has its own parallel worlds and time travel. It it the most confusing and convoluted block of TV ever filmed (kinda like most comic books).

9. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

?????????????

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Most of these alternative universe options either sound stupid or boring.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I like the nature vs. nurture aspect of Earth 10 and Earth 30. I’ve never read either of them. I wasn’t even aware of the Earth 10 story. They sound interesting.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

How about a Bizarro Superman movie?

eddiel, Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will pay actual money to see this film.

14. Oatsdad

"Hamilton" reference - since it uses a non-white actor to play Thomas Jefferson.

(And most of the other roles, too...)

BeatleJWOL and jimbutsu like this.
  15. I don't find it confusing at all and I haven't read a DC comic book since I was 12.

David Campbell likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Yeah, but aren't you just 13 now? ;)

wayneklein likes this.
  17. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

In fairness, DC is such an utter mess at the moment that if your only exposure to their heroes was what's come out in the last year, well, it'd be a mess...

18. Hey, a year can make a big difference! ;)

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think we all are in this thread Colin. :D

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

That's true, yet if a Superman of color landed in Smallsville in the 1940's his story would have had different ramifications. Possibly more interesting ones. Imagine if some racists in trouble didn't want to be rescued by a Black (or non apparently Caucasian) Superman.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Considering that there are no plans for a Superman film in the works, he's available provided they can work it into the schedule for his TV series The Witcher.

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Earth-10 story appears in the Multiversity trade paperback, along with stories from other Earths, such as Earth-16 where a Superman-created robot police force ensures (to quote the comic) "peace, prosperity, and boredom". The first generation of heroes relive the past, while the second generation of heroes lives meaningless lives.

Earth-10 was based on Earth-X in the Pre-Crisis On Infinite Earths* DC Multiverse. It was made the home of the Quality characters (Uncle Sam, The Ray, Doll Man and Doll Girl, Phantom Lady, and The Human Bomb) that DC had purchased. Originally on Earth-X, WWII was still going on for around 60 years and the Nazis had killed all of the American heroes. Later they established that some heroes (the ones mentioned above) from Earth-Two traveled to Earth-X to fight the Nazi and they became The Freedom Fighters.

The difference between Earth-X and Earth-10 is the existence of Overman (their version of Superman) and The New Reichsmen (their version of The Justice League). Overman ensured a German victory in WWII.

Many of the earths mentioned in Multiversity (such as 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 26, 33, and 51) are based on earths that were part of the original DC Multiverse.

*Crisis On Infinite Earth was a massive crossover event that reduced the DC Multiverse to five Earths (One, Two, Four, S, and X) and then merged them into one Earth with Earth-One as the primary world and fragments of the other Earths merged into it.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Multiversity was another DC trainwreck. A project years in the making, plagued by delay after delay, it lost most of it's mojo by the time it was released. I borrowed it from my local library and was surprised at what a bore it was. This coming from a fan who experienced the whole Earth1/Earth2 thing as it unfolded in the 60's and loved it! It just astounds me how many mistakes DC has made in the 21st century! Any other company that has misfire after misfire would go belly up fairly quickly, not DC. I think its a testament to the product, it must be from Krypton 'cause its invulnerable!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.