Superman: The Movie 3 hour TV version coming to Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks Hud.

The Hud likes this.
  2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member Thread Starter

This cut is now available as a download on iTunes as an “iTunes Extra” on the latest version of “Superman: The Movie”

SamS, Simon A and The Hud like this.
  3. Does the "Extended TV version" look and sound as bad as I've been told?

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think it looks and sounds great. There is a error in the soundtrack during the opening credits, but I didn't notice it.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. What error?

6. The Hud

There are some audio glitches, but I didn't notice them when I watched the movie. I think they are the kind that only superfans would be able to notice, or if you went looking for them.

I would still recommend you buy this disc, it is very cool.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. I've read somewhere that despite the audio track being in mono the soundtrack music sounds in stereo, is that true?
    I don't think I'm buying another Superman BD, I already have the UK anthology set and I'm waiting for Superman The Movie to be released on UHD BD that can be later than sooner.

8. The Hud

It is something like that, and I believe that is the cause of the glitches. I didn't worry too much about it since I didn't notice it and there isn't going to be a replacement program.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The only stereo music in the 3 hr version is the opening and closing music. Everything else is in mono. I thought it was fine and was surprised the 3 hours didn't feel that long.

Simon A and The Hud like this.
  10. The A/V quality on the Blu-ray is fine, I'm not sure where you've heard that. There's a very minor audio editing issue on the opening credits, mostly noticeable because the Superman theme song playing is so iconic and every fan knows it so well.

Simon A likes this.
  11. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

They can sit on it forever. I've got mine

12. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

We just need extended cuts of II-IV now!

Keith V likes this.
  13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

IV is about an hour too long already :)

MikeInFla, MRamble and Vidiot like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what puzzles is me is why Donner refused to release the Directors Cuts of Lethal Weapon 1-3 on Blu-ray? yet has no problem with Superman II...maybe to late now.

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Has the theatrical cut (143 mins) been released on Blu-ray with the 2.0 Dolby Stereo track? If not does anyone know the UPC for the correct DVD release of the TC with the Dolby Stereo track. I remember that there was an issue with the 2006 DVD 4 film set (I think) where the original 2.0 was mistakenly replaced with a 5.1 downmix to 2.0 on the first pressing, but later pressings had the correct 2.0. Any help appreciated.

16. There are interesting rumors and industry gossip going around. Supergirl: The Movie is going to get announced for Blu-ray in the next couple of months with possibly two different cuts. They are considering an extended TV cut release for Superman II.

But this is the craziest rumor by far. Whispers that Criterion has something planned for Superman this Fall...

jupiter8, Simon A, Encuentro and 2 others like this.
  17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Yes, on the Superman Movie Anthology Blu-ray set from 2011... the definitive '78 theatrical cut received a very nice brand new 2K transfer taken from a brand new HD master (struck from a first-generation IP print), and had both a remixed 5.1 mix and the original 2.0 original stereo mix... stick with the latter, in my opinion. They even cleaned up some optical effect artifacts and digitally removed most of the visible wires... it's a very nice new transfer indeed.

MRamble and DaveySR like this.
  18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The theatrical cut given a 4K transfer and scanned from the original O-negs would certainly be nice, but I doubt it's that... although it is the 40th anniversary of that film this year, so who knows?

19. The Hud

Is the Criterion rumor talking about Superman The Movie (1978), or something else Superman related?

20. Do you think a 4K transfer will help Superman The Movie look any better? Superman The Movie is a very soft looking movie and that look was intentional, not much resolution to resolve that can benefit froma 4K transfer. HDR may help it just because of Wide Color Gamut, this isn't a movie with much picture dinamic range.

MRamble likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

8-hour cut of "Superman IV"! :D

The Hud likes this.
  22. The Hud

Nooooooooooooo!

MRamble likes this.
  23. It is the film's 40th anniversary this year...

I think it would benefit from a well-done HDR pass. Vidiot would know better.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Geoffrey Unsworth shot that movie with anamorphic lenses and killer diffusion filters all the way, and it's very soft. Star Wars has similar issues -- it was a popular style for that era. I have said many times that I don't think 4K really makes a difference until you get to somewhere in the 1980s with the later Kodak negatives, and it'd have to be with really great prime lenses (not anamorphic lenses). There are some 65mm films that are pin-sharp, particularly Kubrick's 2001, plus classics like Lawrence of Arabia and My Fair Lady. But you can make a good case that a 4K restoration doesn't cost that much more, so... why not?

I don't think you'll see a gigantic improvement over the HD release from some years ago, which was done by my old pal Pat Miller at Warner MPI in Burbank. Pat worked night and day on that film for months, and he told me it was a total labor of love because it was one of his all-time favorites. Here is Pat sitting in the Baselight control room in which he did all the mastering on Superman for Blu-ray...

[​IMG]

25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.