Supertramp Breakfast In America SACD (MOFI) just shipped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., May 16, 2018.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

SUPERTRAMP BREAKFAST IN AMERICA SACD (MOFI)

Mine just shipped! Hope for a happy ending. :agree:

2. Natvecal.

I just looked at my invoice...

Order Time: 4/10/2017 6:10:37 PM

Got it for $23.99 Free shipping and one long wait:laugh:

Crimson jon and JDeanB like this.
  3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The SHM-SACD is hard to beat.

Zomvid, Chris C, Rockstar2112 and 2 others like this.
  4. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

The SHM-SACD is too flat. It wouldn't be hard to beat with some judicious EQ choices.

5. Natvecal.

So, who else has this shipped and on the way to them? Curious...(looking forward to the reviews too)

6. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Mine is on the way!

Natvecal. likes this.
  7. Natvecal.

So, what was the EQ issue with the Master tapes for this album again? I seem to recall reading our Host (Steve) commenting on "built-in" boosted highs on the tracks themselves? So,this was an EQ hurdle/obstacle yet to yield satisfactory results to date?Maybe this is why the SHM-SACD appears "too flat"(to compensate for this?) I don't know. Have held off on any version of this album because there seems to be much debate regarding whether a built-in High EQ that appears to be too problematic? I don't know. Just hoping this MOFI can achieve something I can be happy with? Anyone recall what I'm referring to EQ wise?Maybe I have this all wrong even?

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I enjoy the original MFSL lp.

Jrr and c-eling like this.
  9. Natvecal.

I bought this LP when it was originally released (or close to) '79/'80' ? I loved how it sounded. But, I was a 12th grader at the time with a sub par stereo too. Actually still have a sub par stereo as of now when compared to many of the Forum members here:laugh: But, translating (or Digital conversion) seems to reveal some issues?Hence not having a CD version as of yet and this is what I'm curious about...

clhboa, joshm2286 and dobyblue like this.
  10. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Yes, I recall reading that as well.

I bought the Japan Platinum SHM CD. They did a flat transfer of the master. For me, although it warmed it up and the sound was nice and wide, it also made the presentation too dark. Others mentioned the dark presentation. For me it buried the vocals and keyboards too much.

I’ve been happy with my early WG CD but this Mofi is tempting even though I’d have to use the CD layer.

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. Natvecal.

I'm after the "Redbook" myself and I know that the Redbook layer isn't a guarantee of a better or superior /definitive version even if the SACD layer "knocks it out of the park" sound-wise. But, I'm going for it and who knows maybe one day I will have an SACD player? Also, this release could be a clunker on both layers is not lost on me either.:shrug: Hoping for a happy ending as I stated in my OP:)

PS early WG CD could be plan B...:D

sandimascharvel likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The recording console they used had limited bandwidth in the high-end so that's why cymbals sound like white noise, especially on the first track.

Meanwhile, the record sounds best with a boosted high-end. I bought an SHM-CD of a "flat transfer" which sounded dull and lifeless. Aside from that, it did sound great. It only came back to life once I cranked the Treble knob about 3/4 of the way, though. Basically, that album *needs* the high-end boost or it won't sound good.

goodiesguy, Jrr, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  13. Natvecal.

Thanks for that.:righton:

My observation is (and correct me if I'm off here by all means) Treble on digital format can come off a bit harder (or edgier) than need be than that the same high end experienced in the Vinyl format hence the "can of worms" with this release in a Digitized environment?We all know what Harsh Sounding is on poorly mastered CDs. This seems to be a tightrope mastering job even with an "Audiophile" intent (or goal) as the end product- a CD (SACD) that one can play and hopefully take note to how "warm/nice" it therefore sounds (especially in relation to it's the vinyl counter part?) If that makes sense?:)

14. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I’ve always loved the sound of the old MoFi cd for this album compared to all the other versions I’ve heard....

15. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Exiting, although I'm happy with my original West German non remastered CD.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I like that none a lot but I ordered the new one last night.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I guess that's all up for debate. I'm merely reporting my personal findings.

Steve would probably be able to answer this one. My uneducated guess is that it probably depends on what equipment is used to make those EQ adjustments ; that some will react differently - therefore one might make it seem edgier (so to speak) while another one might give the same adjustment but with a kinder result. Also, Steve does tend to use tubes when doing so which probably might account for the less edgy sound you're referring to, in some circumstances.

joshm2286 and Natvecal. like this.
  18. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Probably my favourite 1979 album. I skipped the SHM-CD even when I saw it on sale at Tower Records in Tokyo. Might need to get this new version

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Color me skeptical the Platinum SHM-CD is a flat transfer of the master. It sounds dead as a doorknob to me - and I’ve posted as much several times over the years. Definitely doesn’t have the supposed “built-in boosted highs” (which I believe to be true). As imperfect as the A&M+ CD might be - at least it has some life to it.

I’ve never understood the praise for this mastering - and I generally don’t like a lot of top end.

apesfan, joshm2286 and George P like this.
  20. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

On the MOFI web site: "...The 1979 set has been reissued multiple times in the past, but it's never sounded so engaging, lifelike, or entertaining..."

So better than the MOFI Gold CD version?

dav-here, joshm2286 and BZync like this.
  21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Shhhhh....

You weren't supposed to remember that it has been released by MFSL before.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here Terry, this has been my go to so far for this album.

Terry likes this.
  23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Got my notice today as well. Looking forward to this!

Joti Cover likes this.
  24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I'm not persuaded that every released transfer or remaster of a classic recording will supersede earlier reissues, whether it's an anticipated remaster or flat transfer. Sadly, I've been suckered before by well meaning, hyperbolic claims of "best" ever. It's easy to get caught up in the "must have" feeding frenzy.

Truth be told, every remastered reissue is dependent upon the listener's home gear, hearing and sound preferences; the better the gear, the better the LP/SACD/CD will be resolved, including it's inherent flaws. There can be a general consensus achieved on forums such as this, but no one size will fit all.

So, I already have the Platinum SHM-CD and it sounds pretty darn awesome (to my ears). In fact, in earlier threads many folks raved about the Japanese SHM-SACD and SHM-CD as if it was mana from heaven. I'm just curious what has changed? Have new master tapes been unearthed? Have they been magically fixed of some recording flaw(s)? Has some master mastering engineer managed to squeeze blood out of a decaying tape-turnip? Inquiring minds want to know!

In general, I prefer listening to CDs over my NAIM player (CDX2) even though I also have a tube-modified OPPO player. SACDs, BDs and other media are my "Swiss army" OPPO player's strongest suit and these often sound better than their red book CD counterparts, but not always. IMO, it still comes down to mastering and available source tapes.

BTW, maybe I'm missing something here, but I see little reason to buy an SACD for the red book layer unless it has been clearly reported or demonstrated as superior to other red book releases. Furthermore, if the SACD isn't significantly better than the best prior CD release then, by my logic, it would be a waste of money and shelf space.

Other perspectives are welcome and very much encouraged. I'm not trying to throw cold water on enthusiasm for this new remastered release. I'm glad that Supertramp's BIA is finally available from MoFi and hope it lives up to expectations. I suspect it won't be long 'til folks with multiple copies of this classic review it, comparing the new MoFi release with earlier versions. Looking forward to reading them.

Popcorn's ready. :-popcorn:

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

A good written one :)

The SHM-SACD, Platinum CD should be hard to beat, as I hear it.
    And as you said, how much you like this flat master sound much depends on your stereo system. If your system is really resolving and transparent to the source, then you will appreciate the lack of «Eq-glare» and instead appreciate the soul and silence between each note, that really brings Life into each song to the listener, as I hear it. (as far as you can speak about «soul» in a multitrack recording and complex mix).

But I have no problem understanding why some says the jpn disc sound to flat and boring. But I also know why!

The SHM-SACD really did it for me, but sure I would like to hear the MoFi.
    The only thing I would like to change with the jpn disc is a very slight EQ lift on a couple of tracks.

joshm2286, RiRiIII and R. Cat Conrad like this.